Rocks TV to be rebranded as Gems TV Extra

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Skytvfreak

Registered Shopper
Wow! It's been a while since I last post on the ST forum, but needless to say, that doesn't mean I haven't been reading them in the past 2 and a half years! :cool2:

Anyway, it looks like we shall be saying goodbye to the Rocks TV name come 1st January 2011 and hello Gems TV Extra! Personally, I would have preferred Gems TV 2 but I can see why CR want to be slightly different second time around!

and the channel is also moving from 647 to 656.

Are Gems TV and Jewellery Maker moving as well? or are they staying put?

the Sky EPG will then look like this:-

647 Gem Collector
652 Gems TV
655 Jewellery Maker
656 Gems TV Extra

Personally, I would do this:

647 Gems TV
652 Gems TV Extra
655 Jewellery Maker
656 Gem Collector

Last edited:
Hello there,

Nice to hear from you and thanks for the information. I assume that the name change will not affect guarantees? I agree with your suggestion for the channel numbers / names but we will get used to it!

Inge :eek:)

Changing the name from Rockstv to Gems TV Extra makes more sense as they sell the same on both channels anyway! Wonder why they need 2 channels. Maybe they can combine the channels and reduce their air times - saving them money and giving the customers more bargains :wonder:

Don't like this idea at all! Thought Rocks was supposed to be an alternative to Gems, but as stated above they do show all the same jewellery now so don't really see the point of 2 Gems channels. Rocks when it started was a breath of fresh air, now its just same as any other channel.

I agree, Pam. I think this is going to mean the end of the true bargain prices, and the 2 channels will be even more indistinguishable than they are now. Watch the 'pricepoints' (hate that stupid word) steadily rise once the channel names merge.

i hope its only the name thats changing, i like the graphics and music at rocks!
and i also hope that it wont get shut down, we all know what happened to gems tv 2

If there were going to re brand Rocks with a Gems name sure they would call it GemsTV 2 as they have the graphics all done from the previous incarnation of this channel?

I'm guessing it is also the end of the free phone number? I know an 0845 doesn't cost that much to phone but still. :wonder::nod:

It definately draws a line in the sand and in a way, finally draws the intergration of Gems TV UK Limited and Colourful Company Group to an end. Personally, I did think it was silly to have both Gems TV and Rocks TV brands. Obviously the Gems TV one is stronger and has been available the longest (remember Gems is officially the longest running dedicated jewellery shopping channel!) and is available across all 4 major UK digital TV platforms, unlike Rocks TV and theres no conflick with any other channels or businesses.

I realise some of the inital Rocks TV principles/ideas/concepts etc will be changed as a result and won't be the same as before but you have to remember the same thing happened to Gems TV under the former management of Gems TV Holdings and at the end of the day people need to realise it is a business and without The Bennett's, Gems would have gone bust earlier on in the year!

It does also make sense for both channels to have the same jewellery collections and to not just have exclusive ones to either Rocks or Gems. Since the Coloured Rocks website changed, I actually have no idea what the names of all the collections are now and if any have been discontinued! :down:

I agree with you suzie. Perhaps Gems TV Extra will use an 0845 number - most likely the current Gem Collector 0845 50 50 656 number and Gem Collector to get either a new one or use the current 0800 6444 647 Rocks TV number.

Personally, I would have prefered the Gems TV 2 name like I said before and for the exact Gems TV graphics template to be used as I actually dislike the Gem Collector and Jewellery Maker ones. Gem Collector in particular - the colours IMO don't work and also to use the same Gems TV 2 music (or even Snatch It! - I know they still have them - the former management was having a field day with the music at the end of last year and beginning of 2010!) and use the current Rocks TV one for Gem Collector?

Last edited:
They will have to change more than just the name if they want my business back. First priority should be the chuff they sell, I can't remember the last time this channel tepted me! Followed closelyby the presenters who sell the chuff! For gods sake can anyone watch this channel with the sound on? Apart from one very lovely man it's a streamof lies and noise. Too much for me I'm affraid.

I don't spend much time around here these days, so I've only just caught up with this...
For some reason, I'm rather sorry that the 'Rocks TV' brand is going. Completely irrational, I know, but Rocks TV was fun and friendly while it lasted.

I suppose these means that any idea of the chat room ever returning has been quietly dropped? Pity, as it really was a USP for Rocks TV, but it was such a hornets' nest sometimes that I can't blame them.

Well according to Barry's facebook Gem Collector is ending at the end of the year.

Edit to add: Apparently GC will be part of Gems TV Extra on Sky 656.

Last edited:
Well according to Barry's facebook Gem Collector is ending at the end of the year.

Edit to add: Apparently GC will be part of Gems TV Extra on Sky 656.

......and he's just mentioned on said channel 'that he'll be going back to TV producing in the New Year'.
Pity cos I did quite like him presenting on RocksTV......when he used to, that is!

From what I can gather, following on from what Barry wrote on Facebook and also other posters on here, Gem Collector as a seperate channel will end at the end of this month. Rocks TV and the live auctions will shift over to 656 and at the same time get a new look and name - Gems TV Extra (Note that Gem Collector has already been relabelled as Gems TV Extra earlier today!) and will feature Gem Collector themed hours. And the current 647 EPG slot will for the time being simulcast 656 and will then either be reused by CR (which personally is unlikely) or it is sold off. My guess would be for a different shopping channel to buy it, to then shift itself up the EPG. At a guess, QVC Beauty could be the best bet to move from 658 on page 2 to 647 on page 1 of the EPG, nearer to QVC at the top. Or sold to a completely different broadcaster. Upcoming channels, that have yet to secure an EPG slot are video gaming channel; Ginx and the 3 new Electric Sofa Media channels - Film GB, Sofa Stars and Sofa Screen (Note these are entertainment/film channels, not of the adult chat kind!).

Gems TV Extra will then most certainly use the current Gem Collector 0845 number, whilst the Freephone 0800 Rocks number to be discontinued on the quiet.

......and he's just mentioned on said channel 'that he'll be going back to TV producing in the New Year'.
Pity cos I did quite like him presenting on RocksTV......when he used to, that is!

Oh, dear! Barry is one of my all-time favourite presenters... if you're reading this, Barry and Steve, please reconsider! We want Barry on our screens.

Latest posts

Back