dare we ask.............

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loobi

Registered Shopper
The BIG January Sale..................... is it going to be like the Clearance - started this morning and i dont recall seeing a bargain that makes it worth queueing up at the door over night for - in the same fashion that we might all camp outside Harrods for their sale.
Anyone spotted an unmissable bargain yet? Or are the prices same old, same old - if fact higher than same old?

gave them 45 minutes of my life this morning in the hope that they might have some genuine bargains...but guess what ... nothing !!! same old, same old. waste of time...

It's so cynical on their part, isn't it? Any long-time viewer knows the prices things go to, and guess what? they've been going to those exact same prices. Sale my arsenic.

you know, there i was thinking it was me.................. i have seen 2 items i just bought ...........10 days ago and guess what, they went for the same price i got them..... sales price? same as I got them pre sale........that reminds me i got dpd text and those very same items were due to arrive today but they havent - but we have no snow

Hope you get your delivery tomorrow, loobi.

I'm afraid I'm not even going to spend a couple of minutes viewing at the moment since Jenny is presenting in her usual shouty fashion. Completely unwatchable. Unless Alan is in the presenter's seat I simply can't watch these days, he's the only one who 'gets' that people don't appreciate being shouted at and/or patronised by tv salespeople.

Completely agree Jenny's shouty style makes me turn off straight away, it is just not necessary to shout at people like that and it certainly does not make me want to buy anything!!

:confused:I watched yesterday for a little while and up popped a diamond ring I purchased a couple of months ago for £219( and this was not in a sale) they put 2 in the auction and closed it at £299 because no one came in for it and this was the great January sale I dont think I'll be watching with any expectations of a bargain now

I wonder why they call it a sale when clearly they are putting customers off watching or even buying!

I am so glad I bought lots in the good old days of rocks!!

well i am very annoyed! so much so i have spent 30 minutes of my day reading gibberish on the ASA website. i cant believe they are allowed to advertise a 'sale' in the way they are doing when nothing is actually reduced in price. according to what i have read this is a direct and blatant disregard for the rules!

The ASA state that shopping television should not be misleading and be able to 'substantiate' any claims. they also have very clear regulations surrounding retailers and the word 'sale' if a retailer claims to be having a 'sale' they must be able to prove a 'definite price reduction'

from what i have seen most of the prices are exactly the same or in some cases higher. i don't know why i keep watching.it's making me more and more angry !!! i just feel really sorry for the people who have been TRICKED into thinking they have got a bargain when they absolutely haven't!

Can you imagine a high street shop like NEXT or TOP SHOP getting away with advertising a 'sale' all over the windows, but keeping the prices exactly the same?? ! Anne would be all over them in a heart beat. i don't know how shopping TV gets away with it sometimes.

well, that my new crusade i think, i am sick of all this so i am going to side step the ASA and send my concerns directly to watchdog! these channels clearly don't care about the wrath of the ASA but i bet they care about being slammed by the BBC.

Its such a shame its come to this! I haven't watched gems or rocks for a while now so can't really comment on their prices. I have a feeling what they will say - they lost money when they sold it at lower prices and the sale prices are a bargain as they are just making a small profit or even just covering costs!!

If I remember right didn't Auction World feature on watch dog :thinking:

As these items are in a falling price auction how can they actually know what the final price will be if they sell one item the rules are they have to drop the price until all the items in the auction are sold so unless they start the auction at a price lower than they have sold it previously and then drop it further until all items are sold how can it be a sale price ? if that makes sense

Good point Milly!

So basically they cannot have a real sale if they strickly stick to falling price auction rules :thinking: :taphead: :wonder:

Last edited:
Call me super cynical BUT how do we know that all items have sold?

For example, you have something not selling at, for example £299, so you drop the price to £249. Only one person comes in and there are 2 more to sell. Do you waste money and keep holding on until another 2 people come in or ..................... oh look, another 2 have sold at £249. Strange how then a few days later the same item reappears for sale.

I'm pretty convinced this goes on (and dates back years). A true reverse auction would, on some occasions, have to keep dropping and dropping and dropping - not just by the maximum 2 or 3 drops we see now.

Looking at it logically, all jewellery outlets have to cover their costs. They'll have a few lost leaders but you need a profit (even if it's small) on most items so I can understand why it's done. Ethically it's wrong and that's where, for me, a reverse auction is a nonsense.

Last edited:
I am sure bidup admitted they reserve the right to 'buy' their own product if it is not selling. I know Auction World did for sure. Hope we don't have to add Gems to that list. As people have said it would make a mockery of the we go down on price until everything is sold.

Even as I type this I am annoyed with that trail where Steve says the price goes down even if that means a pound. When has that happened?

PJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Rocks .tv first started it was only on the web and it was a true falling price auction and we did have some bargains because they did drop the prices until they sold out and sometimes things went very low but that never happens now so you have to ask the question why this never happens now and items sell at the same price over and over again and for a lot more than it used to I agree I think the price is fixed in advance of the auction starting

The price is absolutely fixed, you only need to watch a few hours of shows to realise this. As I've said in a previous thread, I am thinking of starring in my own tv show where I 'psychically' predict the end prices in every Gems/Rocks auction.
The presenters need to get their scripts straight as they make contradictory statements about the prices all the time. For instance, I have heard Ali D say: "I had no idea this was going to such a low price..." and in the very same presentation, "Okay, that's taken us to under £30, so we've done our part, but you know me, I take the prices really low and you'll never believe the price we're going to for this..." Make your mind up, duckie.
As another example of the obvious pre-arranged prices, remember the much hyped multigem necklace and bracelet which went into 'historic' big quantity auctions? They went to £129 and £89 and have gone to those exact same prices ever since, so all the flannel about being able to get the price really low because of the huge quantities was baloney. Every time they appear, whether in quantities of 2, 5, 6, whatever, they go to the magical £129 and £89.
We all know certain necklaces go to £19, rings to £24, earrings to £39, etc. At the higher end of the scale, you can watch the bigger Tookalon necklaces go to £89, and I can spot the rings that will finish at £249 a mile off.
Very cynical and not a good way to treat the customer. I agree with Argey who has said many times that she would prefer to see the end of the auction format and just be given a price that they wish to sell for. This auction malarkey works to the seller's benefit more than the buyer's even though they constantly state that they are "giving" things away. Let's face it, you don't become a multi-millionaire by giving away your product. How long before the price pledge is a thing of the past? After all, there's no pledge to be made when an item goes to the exact same price or higher each and every time it's shown.

did the rockstv price promise die with the demise of rockstv? I cannot think that Gemstv will honour it just change the item code!!! or is that being too cynical!!!!!

The price promise did apply to both channels so it shouldn't end just because Rocks TV is not called Rocks TV anymore but I can't see any mention on the website about it at the moment.

Latest posts

Back