just a few changes i see

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

borednow

Registered Shopper
well that will teach me to go without a pc for a few weeks... i return to find that not only are the TV auctions timed but also that everything else seems to have doubled in price :eek:.

i dont seem to be able to place a forward bid on anything anymore :mad: and the search doesnt throw up everything but on the plus side there seems to be lots of different things and plenty of them (loadsa peridot and swiss blues for a change) sadly they seem to be very very expensive compared to the start of the summer.

I am sure there are many more changes, if there is anyone with the time or inclination to enlighten me i would be most grateful :D

Hi Becca, good to have you back. I think you've just about spotted all the changes. The forum has been very quiet as most of us have pledged our allegiance to Rocks.tv, Steve Bennetts latest venture. I suggest you register and join the chat tonight if you can. There's loads of ST folk and it's fun and informative, the way Gems used to be. They don't yet deliver outside the UK but there's a 30 day mbg which would give you time to get things back via your MIL.

Gems seem to have seriously lost their way, prices are a lot higher and the games annoying to watch. I haven't been watching for a while and I'm not the only one I'm afraid. Caroline is leaving too. All a bit sad IMO.

thanks BC!

being a good and biddable child, i have joined up on that rocks thingy. 30 mbg is always interesting. had a quick look about and i am sure i will find my feet eventually lol

what a shame about gems. i know the prices have risen over the last year but this just seems way ott. maybe they were sick of selling at a loss. so glad i had the chance to fill my boots while i could, just sick as a chip that i didnt find it when it first started and got some of the great bargains that the rest of you did :D

thanks BC!

being a good and biddable child, i have joined up on that rocks thingy. 30 mbg is always interesting. had a quick look about and i am sure i will find my feet eventually lol

what a shame about gems. i know the prices have risen over the last year but this just seems way ott. maybe they were sick of selling at a loss. so glad i had the chance to fill my boots while i could, just sick as a chip that i didnt find it when it first started and got some of the great bargains that the rest of you did :D

Let us know your user name on Rocks and we'll all make you very welcome! (not that we wouldn't anyway!). You only have one day to add to your basket unless it's a Fri, Sat or Sun, when it's only one P&P for all three, good time to minimise your deliveries but maximise your goodies! First order you'll receive a copy of Steve's weighty book and you may see some things in there that you can then request via the live helpline. It's a superb set up, you'll love it.

I have to say I haven't completely deserted Gems. I have just bought a piece of morganite but feel sorry that they have given us the option of a shop to widen our choices but at prices over and above even PS are selling things for. Items have their first crash on TV at well below the shop price so what's the point? There seems little encouragement from them to keep us interested. Moan over....

I think gemstv changed and for the worse when the loveley Steve Ashton Left!!

""I wonder how Steve is doing these days!!?""...and hope that he and his family are well.
If you are out there Steve! come and say hello to us all (We miss you Lots!!!)
remember me? From (Superman card Mary) xx:D

well what a shocker!!!!! i have just spent a little time actually looking at the terribly expensive schmatter on the gems site. there was me thinking maybe things have just gotten a little tight over at gems towers but i was wrong, its just that the powers that be think that people who shop online are a little thick!

I was looking at the earrings and saw these.
http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=UVV9179&preweb=true&colourScheme=2
a tad on the pricey side thought i, but then imagine my surprise when i saw them come up as being auctioned on gems 1. there they went for the more reasonable price of 24 quid. talk about a mark up or even about taking the michael. personal fav. is ripping people off!

naughty naughty gems!
if you insist on going down the present line then i suggest you do it properly and vet what you are going to auction so that silly punters like me cant see that we are being ripped off. nobody likes being shat on(pardon my french) but doing it from such a great height just adds insult to injury. :mad:

Becca, there are now two separate places on the Gems website where you can buy items - the web games and the shop. The web games allow you to place forward bids, just as you always could, and the prices are comparable with those in the on-air games.

The shop has a wider inventory, but the prices are ridiculous, and you would have to be crazy to buy anything there - I can't really see the point of having it. On the other hand, if you do see something you want to buy in the shop, you can contact the Personal Shopper and, if the item has been aired, they will give you a more reasonable price.

hahaha tell it as you see it BN no sitting on the fence lol welcome back btw \o/

I know things can't always stay the same and changes are made to keep interest and bring some freshness to presentations. however, anyone who shops regularly with the same channel is bound to feel a bit cynical after a while when the personal and individual touches go and it all becomes clinical, streamlined, pound-sign oriented. I know they're in it to make money, but we all like a bargain and enjoy the thrill of the hunt for such bargains. that's why ebay is so popular.

fence sitting tends to get u splinters on ur bum sammi, or even worse... a nasty case of farmers lol

thanks magpie, but how do i get to the upcoming auctions bit? every time i do a search i just get the shop items. (nice peridot earrings on that bit tho lol).
i think my credit card would have rusted up if it hadnt been for my present quest of trawling for new sunnies (the sprog monster ruined my WAG's and life just doesnt seem worth living without specs that make me look like a sinister insect lol):D

fence sitting tends to get u splinters on ur bum sammi, or even worse... a nasty case of farmers lol

thanks magpie, but how do i get to the upcoming auctions bit? every time i do a search i just get the shop items. (nice peridot earrings on that bit tho lol).
i think my credit card would have rusted up if it hadnt been for my present quest of trawling for new sunnies (the sprog monster ruined my WAG's and life just doesnt seem worth living without specs that make me look like a sinister insect lol):D

BN if you click on the WEB tab at the top of the home screen and then type in your choice in the box top right, it will give you the web auctions. Otherwise it seems all roads lead to the overpriced shop!!!!

This website takes a bit of getting used to doesn't it? :rolleyes:

I've bought lots of silver rings from Gems at good prices - since about last November - but it annoys me to see something that goes for £19 on the falling auction (which imo is a joke anyway - they know exactly how far they're going to go, no matter how surprised the presenter appears to be - they're all trained actors of course...), priced at three times that in the Shop. At first, there were some turquoise and lapis pieces at very good prices - I saw a lapis ring for £16and am glad I snapped it up, because the next day the same ring was £49 :eek: People who regularly watch the tv progs or follow them on the web will know the prices are never this high, but new people could get well and truly ripped off. I've a feeling those low Shop prices at first were a mistake anyway...

Also, the fixed-price hours have higher prices - a silver and rhodolite garnet ring was priced £49, and the same ring went on the falling auction for £19...I pity anyone who'd already bought it!

I was told by two separate Personal Shoppers that the web games are only odd ones left, or returns, so they say Oh Let's Just Bung it on the Web...But often there'll be identical pieces at different prices...

I still watch Gems and will probaby buy from them again, but only if the price is right...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back