Jewellery only expected to last 6 months?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

teddybear581

Registered Shopper
I started buying chrissie pressies earier in the year and last week I opened a pearl necklace to wrap but when I went to take it out of the box it snapped.
My first complaint and request for a replacement was met with a "Sorry ,it is outwith the 6 month guartantee period but if you return it you will get a credit note" even though It was only just over 6 months and I explained it was unused and the security tag was still intact .
I replied and told them I did not want a credit note for what was obvioulsy faulty goods.
Their reply was "ok send it back and as a goodwill guesture we will refund this time but if I return anything else after the 6 month guarantee period I would not be offered a refund."
I have replied that I am claiming a refund under the sale of goods act ,not a goodwil guesture, and asked for a prepaid label.
Do you think I am being unreasonable?:confused:
Do Rocks think their jewellery is only fit to last 6 months????

i've noticed that a couple of my rings from the beginning (the brushed silver look), although kept in a preserve jewellery box, have got horrid yellow marks on the silver where the stone is joined. Don't know what it is but it won't come off and so now rings unwearable.

Mrs James same happened with my bangles/earrings. I used the Dave Bradford wipes (IW) and that did the trick!

CS no longer exists as before TB!! Hope you get your refund soon along with the postage.

Had another reply to say that they will refund my postage if the item is faulty...why couldn't they have said that the first time.?
It's still only a refund as a goodwill guesture though so I wont be buying off them again as I want my jewellery to last a wee bit longer especially when not worn!. I only hope the other items I gave a xmas pressies were of better quality!

Hi Teddybear - I had a similar issue with a 6 and a half month old tiger eye necklace, worn 5 times - I emailed John Bennett who sorted it - under sale of goods jewellery should be expected to last more than six months more so if it had never been used. Unfortunately its only the old 'CS' who are still there that try to provide the service we were used to.

Thanks Rocchic, I did tell them I was claiming under the sale of goods act but they still insist it is a refund as a goodwill gesture only, and they say their policy is within the law. HMMMM????

That is shame TB as this would put me off buying (not that I have bought anything for well over a year now)

I remember saying on here how I would be disappointed if the petals in my flower bracelet came off as was the case with a few other FM. Katherine (then CS) e-mailed me and said I could send all the bracelets back and she would refund me along with postage and these bracelets were over a year. She added she wanted me to be happy with my purchases and not worry if the petals were going to fall off!!

I kept the bracelets as I love them but this was CS in the good old days!!!!!!!

Hi Teddybear - depends who you talk to. I got this as well until I spoke to John Bennett and Jessica. Carol also is helpful. Sale of goods mea some of my pieces (especially if one has been a good customer and bought a lot_ns fit for purpose and fit for purpose means buying a piece of jewellery that one expects to last - especially if it is not worn everyday. The claims that Gems/Rocks make about quality at affordable prices is also relevant. I have non Rocks jewellery I have had for years that never has a problem, whereas I and others I know have post sky jewellery from Rocks that is worryingly fragile.
If one was a good customer and bought a lot of pieces based on faith in the company and its claims and reputation it is obvious it is going to been worn occasionally or even if it was worn on a regular bases it should last as the company and Steve insist it is of superirior quality and we get it for affordable prices as they cut out the middle man and make sure their jewellery makers work to the highest standard. In which case refusing to acknowledge faulty or badly made items after 6 months is of concern. The company is almost refuting its own sales pitch. I am far more wary now and aside from a very small order on its way and still waiting for a sizeable refund plus the repair of the afore mentioned tigers eye necklace there is little to attract me now. This latest issue with faulty items and the prospect of buying an item and not wearing it much for it still to need repair is of particular concern.

. Katherine (then CS) e-mailed me and said I could send all the bracelets back and she would refund me along with postage and these bracelets were over a year. She added she wanted me to be happy with my purchases and not worry if the petals were going to fall off!!

I kept the bracelets as I love them but this was CS in the good old days!!!!!!!

CS started to go downhill after Katherine and Tony left. Now it seems if you want a satisfactory outcome you have to e-mail John or Steve direct to get quick solutions to any problems, which is fine but why can't the 'new' CS people be trained to be as efficient as the originals?

Unfortunately we live in a throw away society and a year's guarantee is about all you get with anything now so the Bennett companies are not that out of sync with others. However, under the Sale of Goods Act as somebody has already mentioned, if something isn't fit for purpose, i.e. broken within a reasonable time frame, then the Company has to provide a refund or replacement. That is a basic right NOT something that should be begged for!

i bought a watch over a year ago now and i noticed this morning that the second hand has come off????? the watch still works but its moving freely around inside the face im not gonna bother gems as they wont do anything aboyut it as i bought it so long ago :(

i bought a watch over a year ago now and i noticed this morning that the second hand has come off????? the watch still works but its moving freely around inside the face im not gonna bother gems as they wont do anything aboyut it as i bought it so long ago :(

mummy bear please bother them as this should not happen.

Mummybear, at the very least I would telephone and raise the issue with their customer service manager, a very charming Sabeel Hussain. If they don't know the problems they have an excuse not to serve their customers properly.

Please don't shoot me down in flames (and you know me MB, I'd love for you to get a replacement watch) but I don't know if our expectations are too high here.

For example, if you had bought a watch from HM Samuels (for example) who offer a 1 year guarantee, I suspect they wouldn't do anything. I'm not sure we should expect GemsTV to be any different - especially at the price point they have.

I don't want to come off being mean here but I do think we expect a lot from GemsTV (perhaps because of previously good relationship/excellent customer service). I'm not sure that we apply the same philosophy with other companies we buy from.

Anyway, it's worth a try MB. You've been a great/loyal customer for many years so who knows! Good luck!

Over a year might be a problem, but I have had items replaced or refunded by QVC if they were within a year or just over!

TJC repaired my tanzy pendant (8 months) after seeing my post on ST.

MB give them a call or drop an e-mail, they can only say no! Good luck.

so a thumbs up for Gems :up: glad to hear they get it right at least occasionally (now if only they would tell me what was happening with a ring I returned.....). Chuffed for you MB anyway :happy:

Latest posts

Back