why 99p???

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loobi

Registered Shopper
Just bobbed in to look for first time in ages - suddenly prices now all have 99p on the end.....whats that all about????

Just bobbed in to look for first time in ages - suddenly prices now all have 99p on the end.....whats that all about????

I just noticed this too! 'Tis a sales ploy me thinks!! :thinking: :thinking: :mysmilie_845:

you sure your not lookin at TJC as they have the 99p on the end??

nopes! it was def rocks ..ooops sorry old habits, it was gems tv extra.....think it was Rodders presenting but I wasnt paying much attention, I was distracted by the extra decoration on the end of the prices.

Maybe they think jewellery buyers are stupid and think 99p is a lot less than £1. Though I have not long had it explained to me that the 99p phenomenon still swings shoppers and can boost sales by 10-15% so in other words psychological manipulation.

Last edited:
How strange, Steve Bennett seems to be doing another u-turn again. When he first took over Gems and was being a side kick presenter with Matt, he 100% told the producers to stop doing stuff with odd pennies at the end and to make it whole pounds. Just like when he said on Rocks when it started that he would never grade Tanzanite as it was not right to do so.

PJ

I could be completely wrong, but VAT went up at the start of the year and since then, the 95p on TJCs prices have gone up to 99p and the £1.50 phone call for sit-up is now £1.53, - so it could be VAT for Gems increase, or they're merely copying TJC and have made it 99p aswell - but as I say, I could be completely wrong.

And whilst it appears the starting price is a whole £ figure on Gems, the prices after a plunge look to be £X .99p

As you rightly say, PJ, another u-turn from SB, and another question mark over his oft-cited integrity.
I would imagine that they have lost a fair few customers of late, what with all the changes, none of which seem to benefit the purchaser. I've just had a look on the website and I see that the request facility appears to have gone, and the prices have definitely shot up. As to the 99p kidology, I find it frankly insulting, alongside the completely arbitrary start price of auctions, all done to make gullible people think they're getting a brilliant deal.
Ah well, since leaving the fold, I have saved an absolute fortune, and I know other people have, too. That's a lot of money they are losing from previously loyal customers, and they won't compensate for that loss by relying on new buyers, many of whom will be making one-off purchases, and others who will be quickly disillusioned at the ridiculously long time it takes to refund money on a returned item.

Just had a quick look at the TV auction, and once again saw a pink sapphire ring I paid £39 for a few months ago, close at £67.99 in a so-called 'blowout' hour. I know what sort of blowout springs to mind when I see that sort of caper...

Last edited:
How strange, Steve Bennett seems to be doing another u-turn again. When he first took over Gems and was being a side kick presenter with Matt, he 100% told the producers to stop doing stuff with odd pennies at the end and to make it whole pounds. Just like when he said on Rocks when it started that he would never grade Tanzanite as it was not right to do so.
PJ

Not only are they grading it, but generously adding a + to much of it. During my last few days of feeble-mindedness I have also heard AAA gradings being verbally awarded to all sorts of different stones. xxxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back