Returning earrings

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

mayday

Registered Shopper
Just wondered if anyone has returned earrings to TJC ? They state that earrings are non returnable but Statutory rights are not affected . I assume this means the right to return items within 7 days under Distance Selling Regulations . I have my eye on some but as they are quite expensive and I haven't seem them on air I am a bit reluctant to order them. I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

I have returned 2 pairs of earrings to TJC. However, on both occasions, there was a fault so I was entitled to a full refund plus reimbursement of my postage outlays.

TJC's policy on earring returns is a constant cause of frustration, and despite being the only channel with this policy they chose to persist with it. The Distant Selling Regs has a clause about auction selling which they use to their advantage. So you have to be very sure you like them!

That said, if there is damage or they are faulty you can return under statutory rights, which I've had cause to do on a couple of occasions

The Distant Selling Regs has a clause about auction selling which they use to their advantage.

Presumably, though, this wouldn't apply to fixed price items bought on the web? Legally, they would have to take them back within 7 days even if not faulty.

I agree that this is a constant source of irritation. I am an 'earring person' and buy more earrings than any other type of jewellery, and their policy on returns really puts me off shopping with TJC. Might be worth the risk with the cheapies, but who in her right mind is going to purchase a pair of earrings for £100+ which can't be returned if you don't like them when you see them IRL?

Presumably, though, this wouldn't apply to fixed price items bought on the web? Legally, they would have to take them back within 7 days even if not faulty.I agree that this is a constant source of irritation. I am an 'earring person' and buy more earrings than any other type of jewellery, and their policy on returns really puts me off shopping with TJC. Might be worth the risk with the cheapies, but who in her right mind is going to purchase a pair of earrings for £100+ which can't be returned if you don't like them when you see them IRL?

That's an interesting point MissM, don't buy on web as it's usually more expensive, but I might check this out

I have bought Iliana earrings, when I knew for sure I would like them, studs, sussed out size etc. Had to return one pair because the screw posts were too thick, I didn't want a refund as I liked them so much and they replaced the posts for me. Certainly wouldn't risk a "not sure"!

Thank you all for your help and advice .The earrings which I'm interested in are £499 on the web but I believe they sold recently in an auction for £479 and they sold out. They were a clearance item and they seem to have come back in to stock twice which leads me to think that maybe they have been returned . I am a bit cautious about spending this amount of money without having seen the earrings on air at least . I would imagine that if I buy them from the web the distance selling regs would apply , not sure though .

Need advice regarding diamond ring

Hello guys, right now i am in big trouble. One of my friend is going to have marriage with her girlfriend and he wants me to buy diamond ring for his marriage. Now i have no idea whatsoever about any type of jewellery so before going to any shop i want to know something about diamond ring,its price ,types and quality. please guys help me.

Thank you all for your help and advice .The earrings which I'm interested in are £499 on the web but I believe they sold recently in an auction for £479 and they sold out. They were a clearance item and they seem to have come back in to stock twice which leads me to think that maybe they have been returned . I am a bit cautious about spending this amount of money without having seen the earrings on air at least . I would imagine that if I buy them from the web the distance selling regs would apply , not sure though .

TJC have a banner that scrolls either at the top or bottom on the screen (usually when selling earrings) that categorically states that they do not accept returns on earrings. So you are therefore buying on that understanding. If they're faulty that's a different matter. If you just change you mind then TJC are not obliged to give you a refund.

There have been a number of instances where somebody has ordered a pair, not liked them, returned them for a refund and they've actually been sent back saying that they will not refund.

As the earrings you're thinking about are not cheap I would most definitely speak with Customer Service before you buy.

But what about the distance selling regulations, as mayday says? Wouldn't they be legally obliged to refund if the earrings weren't bought in an auction? I'm genuinely confused about all this!

I think I read somewhere that there are certain items excluded from the 7 day return policy, such as CD Roms once unsealed (can be copied) and items that involve hygiene issues such as make-up. Perhaps jewellery for piercings falls under this category?

Not according to this guide from the Office of Fair Trading:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

Paragraph 3.42 says: "We are conscious of concerns about reselling items which may raise concerns about hygiene. However, the DSRs do not link cancellation rights with a supplier’s ability to resell items as new."

In other words, no hygience exceptions (and no mention of makeup or pierced earrings as an exception, although there is a specific exemption for CD ROMs).

Of course, it has to be borne in mind that the distance selling regulations are separate from the normal returns policy (as pointed out by John Bennett via Graham on the Gems TV thread). If Mayday decides to purchase the earrings and then decides that she wants to return them, she should send an e-mail to TJC within 7 days stating that she is cancelling her contract with them under the distance selling regulations, and is returning the earrings to them for a refund. If she follows this procedure, they are obliged to refund her original postage charge as well as the price of the earrings.

John Bennett also pointed out that, under the DSR you have to cancel the whole order and not just return part of it, so Mayday should avoid ordering any other items in the same order as the earrings, since if she sent them back she would have to send back the other items also.

I'm not a lawyer (although I've been accused of thinking like one) but of course John Bennett is, so I'm sure he knows what he's talking about on this.

Meanwhile, I wish TJC would come to their senses over their ridiculous return policy on earrings, and treat customers fairly as all the other channels do. To be honest, even the little plastic bags the other channels use are un-necessary; the earring posts can simply be wiped with an alchol wipe to sterilise them. (In the USA - surely a more litigious society than here - I have actually been allowed to try on pierced earrings in shops.) And what about QVC? - the last time I purchased earrings from them (which granted was several years ago), they arrived unsealed and there was no problem about returning them. It is hard to escape the conclusion that TJC are just using this as an excuse to get out of giving refunds.

Thank you for all your information regarding my questions . I deliberated too long about this particular pair of earrings and they were sold.
I agree with all your comments Miss Magpie about other shopping channels accepting returns and why can't TJC do the same. I am prepared to take a chance with inexpensive jewellery but some of TJC's emerald earrings are around £800+ which is a huge amount of money to spend without seeing them .
I shouldn't be necessary to resort to the Distance Selling Regs to return earrings should it .

I quite agree with you, Mayday.

I imagine most customers would be reluctant to commit themselves to an expensive pair of earrings without seeing them first. I only hope that the need to make sales will persuade TJC to change their policy.

It's time that TJC rethought their outdated policy of earring being non returnable, in these difficult times for businesses it's so short sighted and doesn't make financial sense with the need to optomise sales . Athough I don't have pierced ears myself I have family and friends who do and often get them earrings as gifts but I refuse to buy them if they can't be returned and there must be many, many others that feel the same as I do so they miss out on sales that go to other TV channels, that just doesn't make any sense !! :taphead:

Latest posts

Back