Victoria telling porkies

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

PJ.

In an Ideal World ...
Twice I have heard her talk up the carot weight. For example a necklace that is 900 she said 'close your eyes and imagine 1000cts in your hand'. Okay so thanks to the mtgw it might weigh more, but some won't.

PJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sometimes find myself feeling that the only guidline a presenter is given is to "say what
ever you need to - your job is to sell." I'm sure some of us have listened agog at market
traders auctioning their wares and wondered at how they gabble at such speed. One or
two of us may have been tempted to buy only to find that our purchase falls somewhat
short of what we expected!!!!! Then there is the archetypal used car salesman who
persuades us that it is "a nice little runner with one careful previous owner" Are they
lying or acting a part? I rest my case!!
Best wishes from Springflower.

Are they still giving the weights as mtgw? most of the auctions ive seen say tgw?! im confused, and it doesnt take a lot!! still its very naughty and misleading, another example of gems losing their way?

I only saw her very briefly and found her impossible to watch. To me she is like a caricature of a shopping telly presenter: shouty, over the top, misleading, patronising and, ultimately, alienating to any viewer who knows anything about jewellery. I remember her saying, "this gem should never go under £50, never, ever, ever, should this gem go under £50." Oh, really, why not? I would have thought that the price any gem goes to is subject to the quality, carat weight, clarity, etc of the particular piece, and if it's not particularly good, then I would imagine it could easily go under any price, depending on what the customer is ultimately prepared to pay. I'm thinking in particular of the washed out tanzanite that is endlessly rolled out for our delectation - does anyone really think that such pieces are good examples of the gem, rare or otherwise? I'm afraid that no matter how often another special favourite presenter of mine, Tintin, told me that this was my opportunity to "buy into the tanzanite story" and make this "rare, rare" gem my own, I remained unimpressed and tanzanite-free.

Given how low tanzanite is on the MOHs scale it is unsuitable for general everyday wear
and tear. maybe a good replica would be more suitable. I wear my own between a gold
wedding band and a band of diamonds. As to the lady who has been mentioned in this
thread I can't help but feel that whatever genuine knowledge she may have it is masked
by the requirement to say whatever it takes to sell the item which IMO renders insincere
anything she says.
Best wishes from Springflower.

Latest posts

Back