How many beads are in a carat?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Klosblue

Costs nothing to be nice!
Can someone tell me, of the top of their head, how many 6mm jasper beads make up 99 carats? I really don't understand why one of the experts who go on this channel doesn't educate the Bennetts on how you buy/sell beads. Nobody sells/buys by the carat weight, they sell/buy by the length of the string. Sorry but it really annoys me and is very unprofessional. Do they do it to try and impress the viewers and have them thinking they're getting something really special instead of a string of beads which they could get at a fraction of the price on Ebay? I find it very sad that those people who are new to beading are spending way over the odds for something they could get so much cheaper.

I just turned over for a nosey and Ruth was on. It was "gemstones" this and "gemstones" that. PLEASE, they are BEADS made from genuine gemstones but they are BEADS and should not be referred to constantly as "gemstones".

Can someone tell me, of the top of their head, how many 6mm jasper beads make up 99 carats? I really don't understand why one of the experts who go on this channel doesn't educate the Bennetts on how you buy/sell beads. Nobody sells/buys by the carat weight, they sell/buy by the length of the string. Sorry but it really annoys me and is very unprofessional. Do they do it to try and impress the viewers and have them thinking they're getting something really special instead of a string of beads which they could get at a fraction of the price on Ebay? I find it very sad that those people who are new to beading are spending way over the odds for something they could get so much cheaper.

I just turned over for a nosey and Ruth was on. It was "gemstones" this and "gemstones" that. PLEASE, they are BEADS made from genuine gemstones but they are BEADS and should not be referred to constantly as "gemstones".

Quite right, Klos, and it's something I find incredibly irritating and indeed misleading, too. I would expect a channel specializing in the subject to give the correct details and terminology. Once again we're in the realms of the hard sell, and it doesn't seem to matter what is said as long as the product sells. I was also astonished to read on here that a presenter on Jewellery Maker had advised getting the beads valued! What absolute nonsense, and downright wicked when you think of the possibilities of unsavvy or vulnerable viewers falling for such flannel and wasting a lot of money.

Last edited:
I agree. I haven't watched JM or flicked recently as I can't stand the hard sell either. What really annoys me is when they ask peeps to find a price for pearls on internet. What do peeps do go and find the most expensive price and compare that - so not right!!

Shame they don't look at TJC to see what you can pick up for under £10 or ebay as Klosblue rightly pointed out. Interestingly most of JM beads come from China too :giggle:

I just hope peeps are not lured into buying in the hope that they can sell and make lots of profit!!! Its not that easy.

Tell me about it. I've been thinking about making jewelery as a hobby recently. I don't really know the first thing about it, but even I know that there's something wrong when just a single strand of beads costs several times what the final products would be worth.

TJC could do the same regarding carat weight versus mm dimension. I have complained about this - and other things on several occasions but nothing has changed. By the way, many thanks for the info, BB

Tell me about it. I've been thinking about making jewelery as a hobby recently. I don't really know the first thing about it, but even I know that there's something wrong when just a single strand of beads costs several times what the final products would be worth.

Gizzy have a go at making your own. I love making and designing my own. If you need any tips pm me I am happy to help :sun:

I sometimes watch for a few moments and switch off rather quickly as I find their prices extremely high.

I find better deals on ebay although I hardly purchase off their now as I find tonnes of things on Etsy. One seller I buy from quite frequently is mintdestash http://www.etsy.com/transaction/36789164 Melissa sells beads that she has left over which doesn't bother me too much as I like to have enough beads to make something and none or very few left over.

I made my cousin a blue sandstone necklace and bracelet set for less than £10 including all the findings and also the shipping from America.

Going back on topic, I buy gemstone beads on length of the strand either 6", 8" 10" or 16" not by carrat weight. When you buy beads the carrats don't matter, its the quality of the beads that matters.

It's misleading to use carat weights because each gemstone has a different density and therefore you might get for example 100 beads in a carat and then 120 in another bead. Beaders buy by dimensions and length NOT carat weight as you so rightly say Klos.

Have reprimanded TJC for their carats policy on several occasions......they appear to be sticking to their policy!!!
Springflower xx

Latest posts

Back