Did you know? Purple Turquoise- Reconstituted and dyed

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

inkspot

Registered Shopper
I don't post very often at all as i don't have a way with words or the brilliant sense of fun and humour of some of you but I just wondered how many people who have bought purple turquise in recent months are aware that it is not natural as the presenters make out but reconstituted and dyed.
I boought a piece from elsewhere but only recently decided to research it as I realised the magenta/purple colour of the Gems pieces was too strong to be natural.
I wish the presenters would not sell gemstones as 'natural...' when clearly they are not or at least be a little more knowledgeable on their product so that they do not mislead the more innocent buyers. I have heard Steve say often that he does not sell fake gemstones but this is clearly not Turquoise as nature made it!.
I guess that is the nature of the hard sell... buyer beware and all that!

Faked Turquoise isn't usually dyed Turquoise but Howlite so if it's sold as turquoise that's what it should be.

Faked Turquoise isn't usually dyed Turquoise but Howlite so if it's sold as turquoise that's what it should be.

Thanks for the additional info. I think what bothers me is that it's being described as natural.

Is there truly any completely natural purple Turquoise... if anyone can tell me, I'd be very grateful as I'd like to learn as much as I'm capable of about gems and minerals.

I found out by trying research that most but not all purple Turquoise involves broken down pieces which are crushed, mixed with resin, dyed normally using a red dye, and then reshaped. There is some on the market which is 'sleeping beauty' Turquoise that is dyed to get that colour so I suppose you could call that natural at a stretch! However I didn't find any reference to natural purple Turquoise.

It is surely treated Turquoise and that's no surprise. Many gems including Tanzanite, Topaz and Diamonds etc are treated in different ways but still described as natural in that the stone is natural but not the colour. Gems have a coding for treated stones on their website. certainly in the past Gems claimed that their Turquoise was NOT dyed but now - who knows?

A quick overview!

Natural gemstones with no treatment = The most pricey and highly valued. You'll very rarely find these on TV shopping channels UNLESS it's a gem that doesn't have need to be treated - and these are getting less common by the day as man seems to be intervening in almost everything now. It used to be safe to say that garnets were never treated but ........... not now :sad:

Heated gemstones = True collectors may sometimes buy these, others won't. They are still harder to come by than the next category and worth less than a natural unheated gemstone but considerably more than a treated gemstone.

Treated gemstones = Treatments include BE diffusion, filling, irradiating, oiling, dying, waxing, bleaching, coating, making composites, triplets/doublets etc etc etc. This category is typical of the type of gemstone that is low cost and therefore available in bulk via TV shopping channels. They can be picked up very very very cheaply.

However, there are some treatments to certain gemstones that are accepted/expected, e.g.

- Tanzanite is usually heated to achieve the blue colour. This is a permanent, stable treatment and considered normal for this gem and NOT something to worry about. There is also very little price difference between a heated and unheated Tanzanite. So this is not something to be concerned about. However, there is coated Tanzanite on the market and that can be scratched off. There's not much of that about and I don't think the TV shopping channels stock it in any case.

- The great majority of Emeralds are oiled or filled with a substance to make the jardin less prominent. This is usual and has been happening since Egyptian times. Nothing to worry about with these BUT Emeralds are also dyed, made up of composites and various other hideous treatments. These are worthless and should not be bought! I don't know what GemsTV sell so can't comment.

Personally, I very rarely buy anything but natural and gently heated gemstones. I stay clear of heavily treated gemstones because they are altered beyond belief and NOT how nature intended them to be. This is my own personal preference BUT I fully understand that there is a market for these gems and it does make pretty gemstones available at an affordable price to people who just want some new jewellery for fun. These gemstones will NEVER increase in value or become heirlooms (mind you, most jewellery won't either)!

In terms of treatments that nobody ever speaks about:-

- Sapphires/Rubies (the corundum family). Unfortunately, unless you know where to buy, nearly all sapphires and rubies sold by TV shopping channels are highly highly highly treated. They may be BE diffused (which is a permanent treatment that takes a natural sapphire that's a horrible yucky colour, diffuses it with Beryllium and out pops a very vibrant coloured gemstone). BE diffusion dramatically affects the price. Although these are natural sapphires they are NOT as nature intended. Cracks are filled in rubies (not always a stable and permanent process) and although the gem may look okay when you buy it, 10 years down the line it may be a whole different story.

I could rant for a few years and give you tons more examples but I don't want to bore you!!! At the end of the day, you should assume that each and every gem you buy from a TV shopping channel is heavily treated and therefore will not hold it's value. If you buy with that in mind, then you'll never feel cheated later down the line.

GemsTV rely on having an enhancement page on their website and so you will very rarely hear the presenters talk about treatments. Occasionally they do, but not often.

Unfortunately this discussion is not new to this forum and every now and again we have a rant about it. If you search for "treatments" you'll probably find a number of other threads on the subject.

Hope that helps (and that I haven't depressed you too much).

Thank you all

I am so glad I decided to ask questions. I am fascinated by gems and minerals and have started collecting. I want to stay as close to the natural as possible so any little bit of info I can get is very interesting. I have also bought some nice things from other sources but after reading this I may not have the 'natural' gems I thought.
Never mind. I love pretty sparkly things so I will enjoy looking at the gems and wear the jewellery items for as long as they last. I

Meshoo, thank you so much for taking the time to explain in some depth about treatments and natural stones. It sounds as if a lot of natural gems will be way beyond my budget... but now I know what to expect when I buy, I won't have great expectations and take the presenters' descriptions with a large pinch of salt.

Lastly thank you all for your time and answers.

I am so glad I decided to ask questions. I am fascinated by gems and minerals and have started collecting. I want to stay as close to the natural as possible so any little bit of info I can get is very interesting. I have also bought some nice things from other sources but after reading this I may not have the 'natural' gems I thought.
Never mind. I love pretty sparkly things so I will enjoy looking at the gems and wear the jewellery items for as long as they last. I

Meshoo, thank you so much for taking the time to explain in some depth about treatments and natural stones. It sounds as if a lot of natural gems will be way beyond my budget... but now I know what to expect when I buy, I won't have great expectations and take the presenters' descriptions with a large pinch of salt.

Lastly thank you all for your time and answers.

Don't be disheartened Inkspot as there are a number of affordable untreated gemstones readily available. If you have a look at the link below, you will see this past thread about untreated gemstones. And in post 5, Meeshoo has kindly listed
a number of them......and also Klosblue has named a few more in post 7. Hope that helps a little.

Many thanks to Meesh for the above long list of treatments, its always helpful to have a reminder of what these are.

http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19549

Inkspot - you can buy natural untreated gemstones (or just with heat) direct from lapidarists and some are not as expensive as you may think. However, one thing I would say is that if you are buying stones and you really only want natural gemstones you MUST get a lab report with the stone from one of the reputable labs i.e. GIA, AGL etc. Some of the lesser known labs do not have the equipment to fully test (eg for BE diffusion) so it's a bit of a waste of money if you've bought a sapphire or ruby and want absolute clarity as to what may/may not have been done it.

Oh my goodness, thanks for that link Sacha. I had forgotton that thread. You have a mind like a steel trap and an ability to find long forgotton discussions! :handshake:

It's interesting because looking at the list I originally put, I've realised that Tourmalines are now being irradiated but I didn't make that clear when I posted. Also, there's another on the list that needs to come off (but I've just closed the link and can't remember which) Doh!

Also, although Alexandrite is typically untreated, I seem to recall that on the GemsTV enhancement page they stated that that can be filled (or something just as awful) but I think that was a new addition.

Last edited:
I am so grateful. I will follow the links and read up. I guess I'm so amazed by nature and what natural stones she's made but I also realise that not all gems are stable unless treated.
However I thought for my collection it would be nice to have natural so many thanks for the info that I can achieve this without my bank manager having kittens! If bling-mania doesn't overcome me, I will be patient, save up and ensure that anything I buy has a certificate from the labs you mentioned then I know exactly what I'm getting.
I am not adamant that the gems are untreated... it's just nice to know what has been done;if years down the line the gem will still look as nice etc.
thank you all for the help and amazing patience

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back