Good luck Loen

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Itchy

Registered Shopper
Just watching fashion and heard that the lovely Loen has given up smoking. (first time I have heard her mention this). If she reads this GOOD LUCK. She, like myself was a big smoker and I really hope she keeps it up. I am making my 4th attempt at the moment. Its not easy, I have only just started and suffering a bit.

It usually takes a smoker many attempts at quitting before they succeed ~ I'm still trying!

Yeah absolutely it does. I hate when people are judgemental of smokers trying to quit - until you have smoked you dont know how difficult it is!

I tried so many times I lost count but the last time seemed to do the trick - will be 2 years end of this March. I will admit it was probably the most difficult thing I have ever done but so worth it in the end. So I say GOOD LUCK to anyone trying to kick the habit! :up:

Rich

Good luck to Loen, Itchy and everyone else who's 'kicked the habit.'

I used to smoke 35 a day and smoked for 30 years. I'm now a non-smoker, having stubbed out my last cigarette at 11.59 p.m. on New Year's Eve 2008. It's the only New Year's resolution I've ever kept.

I decided to use a course of patches because I knew it would be difficult and they got me through the first month with no problems. I very occasionally fancy a cigarette after a nice meal but the desire is momentary, so I've no intention of giving into it. I also kept an unopened packet as a reminder of the money I used to set fire to.

I can vouch for the fact that my lungs now feel great and my bank balance is also much healthier ......... so if you find yourself longing for a cigarette, try to resist the temptation because it's worth it.

Good luck to all of you who have now given up and who are now non-smokers. :sun:

Thank you Toril. One day at a time, as the saying goes. Its early days yet and I have failed before, but I will try. I do agree about the patches. They were the only thing that helped me on my last attempt.

Thank you Toril. One day at a time, as the saying goes. Its early days yet and I have failed before, but I will try. I do agree about the patches. They were the only thing that helped me on my last attempt.

When I told my colleagues that I was going to give up smoking and was intending to use patches, one of them asked if i was going to stick them over my mouth so I couldn't stick a cigarette in it. :grin:

She's never smoked, :wink: but it could be a plan, lol.

Hubby and I gave up in 2005 after over 30 years as smokers. We must have tried to stop over 10 times and always failed. We joined the NHS quit line, and what worked for us was the inhalers. It was a piece of cake giving up, and no one was more surprised than us because we had failed so many times. If we can do it anyone can.

Our house absolutely STANK when we became non smokers and we had to have the carpets professionally cleaned. For many months we could smell smoke when we opened seldom used cupboards.

It has been such a feeling of achievement, we still can't believe that we have kicked the habit because we were the worst lilly livered failures imaginable on previous attempts..

To anyone trying to stop, I say don't beat yourself up if you fail and don't give up. It will happen when the time is right and you have found the correct help. Inhalers for us, but we are all different . Good luck and if we can do it, anyone can. Unless you have smoked, you cannot understand how hard it is to quit

The craving time when trying to give up is only 3 to 5 minutes. Take the bins out, clean the toilet, put a load of washing on, talk to someone for distraction, have a code word so they know they have to distract you at a seconds notice, take up knitting to give your hands something to do or card making if you don't already, log on here, we'll help. Good luck everyone. I've never smoked but grew up in a multi-smoker household (mum chainsmoked at one time due to stress and gave up finally after several attempts and after even not smoking for a couple of years between giving up).

Good luck to anyone trying to quit!!

I will be 12 months nicotine free in April after a couple of failed attempts - my salvation was Champix tablets, they made it a doddle where patches had failed. Everyone is different and the key is to find the method that works for you. It may take a while but chin up - you WILL get there xxx :heart:

I know a few people who have succeeded with the tablets, but they are a strict no-no for anyone with a history of depression. I might try the inhaler as well as the patches. (not at the same time!). Well done to you, its a big achievement!!

Did she not mention several times that she was dieting?????

No she didn't but Simon don't you know all women say that and lots of men. I gave up smoking over ten years ago and now have just lost a stone since Jan. I thinks it's better that you can't smoke in pubs now that made is so hard for me as I tended to mainly smoke when I was drinking! Giving up anything is hard, but the one day at a time approach really helps, good luck to everyone, you can do it (but you have to want to). Incidentally I didn't use patches or anthing else and there wasn't much GP support then, I just weened myself off day by day. I kept the last half of the packet in my drawer at work for ages too. It's a pain now as you end up hating the smell of smoke on others!

Last edited:
To anyone trying to stop, I say don't beat yourself up if you fail and don't give up. It will happen when the time is right and you have found the correct help. Inhalers for us, but we are all different . Good luck and if we can do it, anyone can. Unless you have smoked, you cannot understand how hard it is to quit

Top banana post - couldnt have said it better myself!! :up:

Rich

Just watching fashion and heard that the lovely Loen has given up smoking. (first time I have heard her mention this). If she reads this GOOD LUCK. She, like myself was a big smoker and I really hope she keeps it up. I am making my 4th attempt at the moment. Its not easy, I have only just started and suffering a bit.

I packed it in 7 years ago .I weaned myself down to about 5 a day ,and then went cold turkey.As anybody who has smoked knows ,and as you said,"it's hard" to put it mildly,but whatever method a persn uses ,will power has to be there.I don't believe it can really work 100% without it.
I know 2 people who both had hypnotherapy to give up .One was "cured" and the other wasn't.The one who wasn't really had very little will power and relied on the hypnotherapy alone to do the job.
I still dream about smoking and many times I feel like having one but I just let that feeling pass because going back isn't an option health or money wise.

Latest posts

Back