Steve Whatley

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

scary

Registered Shopper
This thread may have been started before & I apologise if that is the case.
I know it's just 5 years since Steve Whatley died, but, (call me sad if you like) I still think about him & feel sad that he felt his life was no longer worth living.
He brought a lot of joy to a lot of people.
I have to say, he MADE Ideal World & I always looked forward to his mad Saturday evenings.

Does anyone have any memories of him they'd like to share?

Yes he was a lovely genuine man who didn't think it was beneath him to call customers himself to sort out their CS issues with IW. Twice he phoned me on a Sunday to help me resolve a problem and that was without me even contacting him first. A great loss to shopping telly and still missed by many.

This thread may have been started before & I apologise if that is the case.
I know it's just 5 years since Steve Whatley died, but, (call me sad if you like) I still think about him & feel sad that he felt his life was no longer worth living.
He brought a lot of joy to a lot of people.
I have to say, he MADE Ideal World & I always looked forward to his mad Saturday evenings.

Does anyone have any memories of him they'd like to share?

No you are not sad scary. I really miss Steve. It is so very sad to think how lonely he must have felt. I really looked forward to his shows, especially Crazeee Christmas! There are several times I purchased things, when he was presenting, that I would never have considered buying normally! Ideal World has never felt the same without Steve. He used to take the time to personally answer all my emails, and not just a short answer either. He sent me a signed photo, with a personal message, of him with his beloved dog Deliah, something I will always treasure.

He seemed like a lovely person and I still miss him on IW. In fact it's not the same without him and I hardly watch anymore. His Christmas shows were brilliant fun. A very sad loss.

Gosh, this is terrible. Steve being dead completely passed me by! I just assumed he was working on other business ventures. Reading the posts suggests he took his own life, so very sad. He was a very engaging personality.

I can't believe it is already five years since he died. I had stopped buying very much from any of the channels and had never bought from IW, but I always found him entertaining. RIP Steve.

I so miss Steve, he was a great character and took time out to phone me too when I had an issue with a product. He had the most wonderful sales patter and could have sold sand to the Arabs I reckon!!!

I also don't think IW has been the same since his very sad and sudden passing. A dreadful waste of a very pleasant flamboyant character. RIP Steve....xxxxxxxxxxx

Steve did the best on air sales presentation ever when he was selling a cheap ice cream maker. He just sat there for five minutes, licking the ice cream off the spatula and sold more than half the stock without saying a single word. Also, the eye opening moment when he launched his tanning range and we thought he was naked on air but actually turned out to be wearing a tiny pair of shorts. And ammolite shows with Korite Ken. They were magic on air together and made the shows worth watching, even though the jewllery was out of my reach. They were better than a lot of comedy duos and very natural.

Great times and we'll never see the like of it again, I'm sure.

We still have his Zhuzh bear from the millennium and the signed card. We miss him too and will treasure these items. I can't believe it's been five years already.

Last edited:
The last bit of 2005 was totally crap for me as I lost my beloved Siamese cats Oscar and Felix in September and December respectively, and Steve died inbetween.
He was my favourite presenter of all time, I know he had his faults, but I miss him, especially when Christmas shows are on Ideal World or any tanning products are shown.
RIP Steve.

We still have his Zhuzh bear from the millennium and the signed card.

So do I.....Number 1215. Funnily enough, I thought of selling it a few weeks ago but then I think of Steve whenever I see "Zhuzh!" on the paw and it just seems that little bit extra special somehow. Sad I know but he really was a wonderful character despite some of the most awful tat he used to push in his Christmas shows!

A lovely fella and still very much missed - I can't believe it is five years since he passed. I remember it being announced and I went cold, such a shock to hear it. I remember him from his days on This Morning as well, he was always a champion of the consumer.

A lovely fella and still very much missed - I can't believe it is five years since he passed. I remember it being announced and I went cold, such a shock to hear it. I remember him from his days on This Morning as well, he was always a champion of the consumer.

I was just about to mention Steve on This Morning; I always wondered whether it might act as a spring-board to more mainstream TV ....I could have seen him doing quiz shows, chat shows etc as he was definitely a people person. Although he was the ultimate ST presenter; the benchmark by which all johnny-come-latelies are measured imho!

RIP Steve.

Jude xx

Time does pass so quickly, but i'm sure he would be so pleased to be remembered, especially for THAT launch of the zhuh, i bought it then and still love it

I also miss Steve. He once designed a dress and sold it on Ideal World. If you were one of so many customers that bought it you go a large fluffy white Teddy Bear. I bought the dress abd received the Teddy.I never gave the Teddy a name but now he is called, yes you have guessed it, Steve. Whenever I look at him I think of Steve. I shall always treasure him.R.I.P. Steve.

Steve was a celebrated performer and never took the viewer for granted; he respected us all as shoppers who enabled him to have the job that he so enjoyed and, for that, I regarded him as a genuine guy who, in different circumstances, would have been a friend of mine. At work the other day - forget how wo got on to the subject - I mentioned Steve's passing, and a friend didn't even know he had died. She was aghast at the news.

Isn't it strange how a single person can make such an impact and be missed ... every time I see his name now I think back to looking forward to August Bank Holiday and the start of Crazzzzzeeeyyyy Christmas, to that material he made famous (gosh can't remember the name now), little stars and moons on beautiful red, green and blue velvety material, I have so many items bought when he was on, he was such fun..sigh*

daydreamer

I loved him and miss him too. He taught me the best lesson of all. Never judge someone's sexuality as you can get it hopelessly wrong.

PJ

I also have fond memories.. mainly of him promoting zhuzh tan sitting on the studio step in speedo micro trunks skin dark oak brown!

I also remember him using the 'zhuzh' term for selling whopping huge diamonique rings at QVC.

The christmas sales/promos really made Steve sparkle. He was great selling toys/Christmas decorations/flashing brooches etc.. I particularly love this clip with Joan rivers:

Miss you Steve! :sad:

Latest posts

Back