Who's to blame?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Meeshoo

Registered Shopper
Who's to blame for the lack of love for GemsTV?

Us on the forum? No of course not. We have at one time been or are still customers. We express our views. We're not sheep. We're independent people with minds of our own. We are merely customers.

Graham? Absolutely not. Like the rest of us, he's a viewer. Ok, he happens to run this site but that's of no consequence. If anything, you might expect that he would hold back on his views because he runs the risk of losing sponsorship (which is exactly what appears to have happened).

So who's at fault for the negativity? Well, instead of blaming everybody else, perhaps the mirror needs to be held up in front of those in charge. Good leaders realise when things are going wrong and decisions sometimes need to be reversed/changed/amended. It's easy to blame others - that means you don't have to take responsibility.

If people didn't care, they wouldn't comment.

Who's to blame for the lack of love for GemsTV?

Us on the forum? No of course not. We have at one time been or are still customers. We express our views. We're not sheep. We're independent people with minds of our own. We are merely customers.

Graham? Absolutely not. Like the rest of us, he's a viewer. Ok, he happens to run this site but that's of no consequence. If anything, you might expect that he would hold back on his views because he runs the risk of losing sponsorship (which is exactly what appears to have happened).

Totally agree ~ hats off to Graham for telling it like it is and sticking to his principles. There are I'm sure, many in his position who would have kept schtum for fear of losing money and it's admirable that he chooses to put his money where his mouth is and champion the consumer.

Insightful and thoughtful post Meeshoo....

I can't see anyone at Gems taking this on board though; Steve has already made his position clear when it comes to criticism (i.e. stick fingers in ears and go "la-la-la" until it's finished), and I would imagine no-one else at the company would have the balls to speak out, so looks like we're stuck with the present set-up....

(I bet he reads these threads and thinks we're all bitter bitches; shame he doesn't spend more time really analysing what's been said here, monitoring QC and Returns and less time sulking...)

Jinny

More purchase cards than you can shake a stick at in this house but none for many months. All the charm and variety that Steve's enterprises had in their many forms has gone. What's gone wrong? It's gone all bog standard and the Managing Directors have opted for the mass "appeal" quick turnover. I don't see a way back so that's it for me. I feel like a have lost friends and that's the shame of it.

So who's at fault for the negativity?

For me it's who ever's responsible for the "graded" diamonds. All diamonds are graded, Gems seem to think mentioning this at regular intervals will make us think they are something special - they seem to forget we have eyes!

I don't watch Gems a lot but I have never seen really good diamonds, some are just about OK, other so called white diamonds leave a lot to be desired :down:

This added to irritating presenting style keeps me away

For me, the problem stems largely from what appears to be a lack of integrity at Gems. It's all the more notable because it's coming from a company and a CEO who appeared to be acting with the highest integrity and ethical standards not so very long ago. And since no one changes that drastically, it seems a logical deduction that the earlier oft-stated values were simply there to bring in huge numbers of supporters and customers, and that's exactly what happened. Now that a level of success has been achieved and tv coverage has widened the customer base, it seems that the older and formerly loyal, sometimes fanatically so, customers, have been casually dropped by the wayside. I've said before that such a policy is short-term-ism at its most obvious, and it does not augur well for the continued and sustained growth of a company.
Not so very long ago, Mr Bennett started a thread on here in which he stated that he was listening to our concerns and criticisms, and was prepared to act upon them. In that post he stated that he would deal with such issues as shouting presenters, and that, given time, many other problems would be addressed also.
Now it seems that he has stated the exact opposite in a telephone call to Graham, and that is something that saddens me somewhat. It also, quite frankly, baffles me, since that call appeared to make clear that Mr Bennett didn't care about losing viewers and, therefore, customers, if they were not happy with the presentations. "If you don't like it, don't watch it" is not a mantra guaranteeing tremendous success for a company. If people don't watch, they don't buy, do they? So where is the logic in that?
I'm always a touch irritated that the whole family run business thing is so emphasised when it makes absolutely no difference to a customer whether a business is run by a family or some other disparate group of people. In this case, it seems that due to the close ties within the company, no one is putting forth an opposing opinion about the way things are going, and that's surely not a good thing, and is leading Mr Bennett towards the strange belief that the customers are the problem, and that if he simply carries on as usual all will be resolved.
I'm somewhat irritated to learn that in spite of the fact that Mr Bennett states that he dislikes gimmicks, and said in the past that he wouldn't use them, he is now accepting of them because they generate sales. How very cynical. What sort of sales? Sales to people who are so gullible that they are convinced that the sound of a heartbeat means that they must buy now or miss out on the bargain of the century. I doubt that vulnerable people susceptible to that sort of nonsense really have the kind of money to maintain a jewellery company for very long. And in the meantime, the type of customer who should be attracted to the channel, switches off and goes elsewhere.
The same is true of the prevailing style of presentation, that of the screeching, say anything for a sale, leave honesty at the door patter of a dubious market trader. I read the comments on here a few days ago and decided to have a look at Gems to see for myself what was happening. Firstly, I stayed about a quarter of an hour, and felt that I should get a medal for having lasted that long. Not only was there a screaming banshee presenting, but she actually said something along the lines of "You know how you have Gucci and Prada and Dior? Well, that's what you've got with Sarah Bennett - high end designer jewellery". I'm sorry? I doubt very much that people view those names as being on a par. This sort of thing is ludicrous and ultimately damaging since it affects credibility.
The presenter also referred to £74.99 as "£74! What an amazing deal! Just £74!" and a few minutes later an item at £99.99 was "£99! Unbelievable!" Well, she got the "unbelievable" bit right anyhow.
And just for a change, she mentioned that the "games" were "genuine falling auctions". Not so. Just to reiterate, a genuine falling auction is dictated by the auctionee, not the auctioneer. Every item would be auctioned, and would remain in auction until it sold, whether that meant going to £100 or £1. At best what you have is a reserve price auction, but really it is a falling price sale, with the price decided by Gems. Not what Mr Bennett claims at all. As to the completely arbitrary start prices, well, in which parallel universe are they decided? All this wouldn't matter so much if we weren't being told that all changes were done for us and to our benefit. No. Being able to "move on" from an auction simply gives the auctioneer more power to end things earlier, and is in no way "more exciting" with "more opportunites" for the potential buyer. why not just have your price and be done with it, cutting out the pretense and treating the customers like intelligent, rational beings?
The gimmicks and methods of selling just seem to underline the fact that we are right about the presentation style being uneffective. If the company had confidence in its product and confidence and belief in its sales team, gimmicks would not be necessary. The quality of the jewellery and the simple relating of facts about it would be enough to sell. In all this, I must state that Gems possesses one brilliant presenter, but quite bafflingly does not make the best use of him. That is, of course, the natural broadcaster that is Alan Miller.

You'll like this then Yo. This morning Angeline (in amongst her barrage of misleading and casually deceptive speeches) referred to the company as an "auction house". Blimey, they not only want to overtake the top jewellery designers, but are after Sotheby's now. This company is suffering from a severe case of arrrogance methinks. xxxxxxxxxx

You'll like this then Yo. This morning Angeline (in amongst her barrage of misleading and casually deceptive speeches) referred to the company as an "auction house". Blimey, they not only want to overtake the top jewellery designers, but are after Sotheby's now. This company is suffering from a severe case of arrrogance methinks. xxxxxxxxxx

Good grief!
As I said in a much earlier post on the forum, the old fatal flaw, the hamartia, will do for 'im in the end.
And don't you start on to me about your ancient Greek not being wot it was. I heard that your ancient Greek was considering proposing marriage and whisking you off to his homeland and a life of Greek revelry and indulgence. Watch out for his lapis lazuli, though, I believe it's a bit sharp. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

And did our Angeline also refer to Gems TV as the biggest and most popular jewellery company ...........................' on the planet ' ?????????????????????????????????????

I seriously think I must living on a different plant to the presenters of Gems TV??? LOL

Good grief!
As I said in a much earlier post on the forum, the old fatal flaw, the hamartia, will do for 'im in the end.
And don't you start on to me about your ancient Greek not being wot it was. I heard that your ancient Greek was considering proposing marriage and whisking you off to his homeland and a life of Greek revelry and indulgence. Watch out for his lapis lazuli, though, I believe it's a bit sharp. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

5.gif
Too late! xxxxxxxxxxxx

Nah, 'ave yer disremembered? That was the Jeyes Fluid - lovely bouquet. xxxxxxxxxx

Oh yes, that's right. And then there was that unfortunate incident with the Zoflora, wasn't there? Still, I must say, you simply oozed a most piquant and alluring fragrance for several days after. Unlike that time you got at the Harpic, eee, that was a palaver and no mistake, though I did like that ability it gave you to blow bubbles. Not many people can do that through their elbows. xxxxxxxx

Let's face it, criticism hurts, none of us like it, so I can imagine that back at Gems Towers an 'All for one and one for all' attitude has developed, Shoppingtelly has become a dirty word and the blame is being put firmly at our door. I think it may be the case that Steve has got so used to positive, even idolatrous feedback from his customers that he now feels invincible. That would at least explain his reactions and why we are seen as sheep and the baddies. Friends tend to stick up for each other, so he'll only be receiving support from his friends (oops, I mean employees) who won't be harbouring a lot of love for us either.
Trouble is, they've all forgotten that we are just customers, that it's not personal and this is how we genuinely feel. I can't help it that I feel this way about the company now, I didn't set out to feel this way in order to upset anyone, I just do and they've lost my trust and goodwill. This is simply a fact and how can you argue with that?

Let's face it, criticism hurts, none of us like it, so I can imagine that back at Gems Towers an 'All for one and one for all' attitude has developed, Shoppingtelly has become a dirty word and the blame is being put firmly at our door. I think it may be the case that Steve has got so used to positive, even idolatrous feedback from his customers that he now feels invincible. That would at least explain his reactions and why we are seen as sheep and the baddies. Friends tend to stick up for each other, so he'll only be receiving support from his friends (oops, I mean employees) who won't be harbouring a lot of love for us either.
Trouble is, they've all forgotten that we are just customers, that it's not personal and this is how we genuinely feel. I can't help it that I feel this way about the company now, I didn't set out to feel this way in order to upset anyone, I just do and they've lost my trust and goodwill. This is simply a fact and how can you argue with that?

Couldn't have put it better myself. Thank you. I think this is EXACTLY what I meant but went round the houses to say so!

Latest posts

Back