Stones falling out of jewellery

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

mavornia

Registered Shopper
I got my mum a morganite and diamond bracelet from QVC just over a year ago. It was an expensive piece at nearly 500 but we really wanted to treat her. She loves it but has only worn it twice because she is afraid of something happening to it. She went to put it on yesterday and two of the stones had fallen out and were lying in the box.

One of the stones alo fell out of a Chateau d'Argent white enamel bracelet I had.

I wrote to QVC asking if they could repair or replace it for my mum given its limited use and they said they don't offer a repair service and to take it to a good local jeweller.

I feel a bit let down by this and sad for my mum. I will get it repaired for her but I know she'll always be nervous about more stones falling out and probably won't wear it much now.

Anyone else had this problem? Makes me a bit wary about buying other pieces...

They ought to offer a better service than that for something costing around the £500 mark. It just confirms what I've always thought - QVC jewellery isn't good quality at all.

I really feel for you though. If you buy a present, particularly a special present for your Mum, you want her to enjoy it and to think about you when she wears it.

Anyone else had this problem? Makes me a bit wary about buying other pieces...

I bought a channel set tanzanite and gold ring for just under a hundred pounds (so nowhere near the cost of your purchase) and one of the ten stones has fallen out. I've seen other threads about missing stones so will put it down to experience but I was bliddy annoyed at the time. Perhaps I should see what the QVC 'partner' Gold Redemption would give me for it! :down:

somehow I think now adays they are getting substandard pieces.
I have few jewellery i got in past few months which are not cheap mind you ,and there is always a problem of breaking and stones giving way .i am quite scared now .

Can't you complain to someone higher up ? I'm sure someone on here can tell you who to contact. I wouldn't let it drop at that price. They should last longer than that. :down: :mysmilie_503:

Thanks for all your replies - maybe I should try complaining again. We had to save up a long time to buy it for her and she loves it but now I feel embarrassed as if we got her something shoddy and I feel like this has taken the edge off the gift now.

She only got it out yesterday because we were having photos taken at a studio of my two boys and she wanted to wear something special for it.

what a shame about your ring, rebus. could you get it repaired?

qvc do go on about heirloom pieces 2 wears and stones falling out does not a hierloom make.

at that price i would say its not fit for purpose and you would be suprised that most things have a lot longer warranty than one year.

ask them to refund your money or a free repair or you can go to trading standards and get further advice.:down:

Maybe you should phone Trading Standards and ask them for their advice to see where you stand. I know it is just a little after QVC's 12 month guarantee, but you never know - if the item is not 'fit for purpose' you may be entitled to a refund. It is fortunate that the stones were still in your Mum's jewellery box - it would have been very expensive and probably very difficult for a jeweller to source a replacement stone for your Mum's bracelet! Not very good though, considering how much you paid - I would have been so upset.
To be fair I have only ever had one stone missing in a Diamonique item, but I haven't been so impressed with QVC's jewellery so much lately - some is great and other items I have found very disappointing so I never buy expensive stone set pieces now. I ordered a Mischa ring and thought it was very over-priced for what it was and the stone actually had glue where the claws met the stone, which I didn't think was very good at all! I tend to think twice before I order jewellery now and there are so many other lovely ranges in other department stores to choose from.

A few years ago I bought a ring from the Viva Las Vegas range - pave set with Ceylonese sapphires. I didn't wear it at all for many months after I bought it, but after about its 3rd wearing I noticed one of the sapphires had fallen out. I did contact qvc, but I couldn't remember when I bought it, although it was over the 12 month period. CS said they would check and get back to me, they never did, but like the previous writer, said they dont offer a repair service. So I am left with a unwearable ring as it would be virtually impossible to match up a stone in a pave setting.

The ring cost me almost £200. A very expensive lesson learned.

what i try to do with jewellery is wear it a lot specially rings. if it does not perform or falls apart back it goes.

that's awful, brissles, such a waste of money - i'm lucky at least that i have missing stones

I think the two stones falling out of such an expensive bracelet when it hasn't been worn much is absolutely disgraceful. The stones couldn't have been set properly in the first place. Any reputable jeweller would sort out the problem free of charge. I am sure you can repair it at a jeweller but that is not the point here. I think you are right in that this problem has taken the edge of the original present which was purchased with hard-saved cash. I do hope that once it has been repaired she will wear and enjoy it.

I had a Mischa ring with a big smokey quartz stone. I only wore it a few times when I could see the stone was loosening. I took it to a jeweller and she said that the claws around the stone were too short for the stone size. The actual setting was not up to standard. I couldn't get it repaired as I would have had to change the whole setting. Luckily it was not too expensive. Still wasted money though and it annoys me.

I do not look at QVC jewellery at all now. If they cannot guarantee it won't break after minimal wear and will not accept any responsibility why on earth should we buy it?

Now we are going back perhaps 4 years? I had a tanzanite tension set ring from QVC. Just over a year of owning noticed the center stone had gone!!!! Only wore it a few times as it was. I phoned CS and they told me to return the ring, I got a full refund including shipping.

I say phone and speak to CS sometimes it better to actually speak to a real person than just write or email. If no joy then try Consumer Rights they will know your options and rights.

I have a large Tocantins Trilogy Garnet and Diamonds ring which I have worn about 6 times. The other day I looked down and found one stone missing. Luckily I found it on the kitchen floor. Although the ring is less than 1 year old there doesn't seem a point in contacting QVC but what I will do in future is to stop purchasing rings from them. Their loss ultimately.

I have to absolutely agree with all that has been said about QVC;s jewellery: some of it looks great, but the workmanship is not always up to much. You should write to CEO/Head Office and get them to deal with it, I am sure you will find them more then helpful. Take the bracelet to a good jewellers and see what they say, so you are fully informed of what needs to be done and then include all the info with your letter of complaint. An item has to be fit for purpose by law, and it hardly is if the stones fall out, whilst not even being worn for heavens sake!

I bought myself a ring when my Mum died nearly 5 years ago and last year one of the pave diamonds went missing, no idea where. I couldn't be @rsed arguing with CS so I re-ordered the same ring and then returned the original as faulty. Ofcourse this only works if the item is still in stock.

With other items (mostly printers and a TV) we've been able to return the item for a full refund without a problem, even outside the usual 12 month guarantee period, by talking about "fitness for purpose" - it's reasonable to expect such items to have a longer working life. Trouble with a bracelet with sentimental value is that they're only likely to offer a refund.

I hope you get a satisfaactory outcome, maybe email the CEO at QVC and suggest you have the repair done at a local jeweller (and have all the other stones checked) and send them a copy of the receipt for QVC to reimburse you. It'd cost them less than the refund and restore your faith in the company. Fingers crossed.

Jude xx

I must agree with the bad quality of some of the jewelery.
In the past I have had a 1/2 carat diamond cluster lose two stones.
Blue topaz bracelet also losing two stones.
Chinese green jade pendant losing its 14carat gold centre symbol and a couple of accent stones
Chinese green jade bracelet 14carat linking symbol breaking.
All with very little wear so I dont buy jewelery from them now.:down:

Thankfully you still have the stones. When you get the bracelet repaired make sure all the settings are thoroughly checked and your mum should be reassured that she can go ahead and enjoy wearing it.

I've bought a lot of jewellery from QVC in the past few years, mainly silver and gold gemset rings and I've only had one ring that had a stone fall out. It was a smoky quartz and diamond ring and it was the main smoky quartz stone that fell out, and I have to say it struck me when I bought it that it was a bit of a precarious setting. I contacted QVC and got a full refund.

But that is honestly the only time I've had any problem with their jewellery ... perhaps I've just been lucky.

I do think you should call Customer Services again and ask them if there is any way they can help. Sometimes a phone call explaining and asking for help can get you a bit further than bringing in the big guns right away. It's worth another call and then taking it further if you get nowhere.

A reputable local jeweller will be able to reset the stones for your mum, especially if they're claw set. And it shouldn't cost the earth.

My engagement ring is morganite and diamonds in rose gold and I absolutely adore it. It's so perfectly me. I really hope you're able to get your mum's bracelet fix, because it is such a gorgeous stone to wear and so many people have never seen or heard of it. Its fabulous to wear at night as it has an inner light.

Please note himself did NOT purchase my ring from QVC!! And the price nearly keelhauled him ... lol

Tink xx

Latest posts

Back