Would you like to look like Joan Rivers?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

helena

Registered Shopper
Why does Dennis Basso always use Joan Rivers as one of his 'selling tactics on his shows? The patter regularly goes, "Joan walked into my store/office and said 'I have to have one of those' ". Also he always says that ALL the girls in his office has got one of these! Yeah, if they get them for free!
I can't understand why he thinks we'd all like to look like Joan Rivers! [?]

Well he bats for the other side doesn't he, so he's totally clueless of what's attractive on our side. He must think we all aspire to look like a Thunderbirds puppet.

Well he bats for the other side doesn't he, so he's totally clueless of what's attractive on our side. He must think we all aspire to look like a Thunderbirds puppet.

I didn't know - how do you all find out such snippets

what a great comment !

I like his TSV, wish it was a bit longer.

I would have thought he was referring to Joan Rivers dress style as opposed to her face seeing as it was a clothing hour?

Is that so? That must be why so few gay men go into the fashion, hair and make-up industry then. And if they do they're so unsuccessful... :wonder:

No wonder poor Alexander McQueen killed himself: he must have realised he'd wasted all those years trying to design for women. And Versace obviously only became successful and popular amongst women once Donatella took over :tongue:

Last edited:
And of course, women think Gok Wan is laughable: no woman would ever listen to HIS advice... :taphead:

You mean Gok Wan isn't a woman???

Re-read that and you might see why, as a gay man, I may find that comment somewhat offensive.

Regardless of your feelings about Dennis Basso, saying that he's incapable of being a success in his chosen field because of his sexual persuasion is disgusting; replace the words "bats for the other side" in your original "criticism" of him with the words "because he is black" or "because he is disabled" and you may begin to see where I'm coming from.

I'm sure that if I made a statement that women made lousy drivers purely because of their gender this place would be up in arms; and rightly so.

So Mr Basso (who I'm no great fan of, BTW) deserves the right to be critiqued on his body of work, not dismissed out of hand because he just happens to be gay.

And of course, women think Gok Wan is laughable: no woman would ever listen to HIS advice... :taphead:

I know I wouldn't! Imo most men don't know how to dress women according to their womanly shape and that's why models are stick thin and have the body shape of boys.

Gok Wan is very knowledgable about plus size dressing having weighed around 20st himself at one time. I don't think you can generalise about gender when it comes to clothes designing TBH, you either have the creative and techincal ability or you don't.

Gok Wan is very knowledgable about plus size dressing having weighed around 20st himself at one time. I don't think you can generalise about gender when it comes to clothes designing TBH, you either have the creative and techincal ability or you don't.

I did say most men and not all men don't know how to design for women.
I believe the fashion industry is based on an ideal of women that for most of us is untenable ~ tall, skinny and fairly androgynous.

I'm sure that if I made a statement that women made lousy drivers purely because of their gender this place would be up in arms; and rightly so.

I know I don't speak for most woman, but I really couldn't care less. I was born with ginger hair (now choose to colour it ginger actually) and have grown up being ridiculed because of it. Even nowadays this continues in the press and on TV. I was watching a documentary about birth last week and the midwife made a comment about the baby "could be ginger". The father-to-be said "it'd better not be ginger" and everyone in the delivery room laughed. I'm positive the programme wouldn't have been broadcast, had the comment been made about the colour of a baby's skin.

The world would be a very boring place if we were all the same.

I know I don't speak for most woman, but I really couldn't care less. I was born with ginger hair (now choose to colour it ginger actually) and have grown up being ridiculed because of it. Even nowadays this continues in the press and on TV. I was watching a documentary about birth last week and the midwife made a comment about the baby "could be ginger". The father-to-be said "it'd better not be ginger" and everyone in the delivery room laughed. I'm positive the programme wouldn't have been broadcast, had the comment been made about the colour of a baby's skin.

I envy you! I wish I had red/ginger hair. :envy: I'm convinced people are just jealous.

It would indeed. So why would anyone want to undermine another person just because of their "differences"?

It's done through ignorance and fear: "You're not like me, and it makes me feel uncomfortable or scared". But when it comes to the essentials, we're all pretty much alike.

Can't see why actually. Mr Wan calls himself Auntie Gok.

If he dressed as a woman and lived as a woman, I'd agree with you. But he doesn't. Gay men don't want to be women. Transsexuals may, but gay men are happy being men.

As for "Auntie Gok": the man's trying to put women at their ease, but he's playing up to rather horrible stereotypes.

Latest posts

Back