Sending aerosols through post breaks the law

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

SilverUnicorn

Registered Shopper
Not a lot of people know this, but if send an aerosol or any flammable liquid through the post using royal mail, you are actually breaking the law and can be prosecuted. You can check this out here
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/content2?catId=19100182&mediaId=19100263

i was unaware of this but came across a thread on a website and checked it out.
http://www.avonconnects.co.uk/message/128446

This means that if you return any goods received from QVC or any other channel that contains aerosols (think hair care, perfume, etc.). Also flammable goods, (think perfume nail varnish etc.). This is really serious and you leave yourself wide open to prosecution if you do .
I had a bit of a job convincing QVC to do a collection for me on some OJON that contained an aerosol, but they did eventually agree. Obviously it is up to the individual, but i for one will not break the rules just in case.

At one time QVC sent all their nail varnish ranges by courier, now they send out small sets, like an OPI duo, by Royal Mail in a jiffy bag...saving money I assume (theirs not ours ofcourse).

Jude xx

I'm aware of that, amazon for example won't ship perfumes or even daylight lamps whose bulbs contain gas to Northern Ireland. It's damn inconvenient and I get really cheesed off when I try and order something and then get told they'll charge me 10£ for the privilege of using a courier. I don't buy from companies that don't use RM or at least adjust shipping charges as I think being penalized for living in a different part of the country is just not on.

I thought they had taken the propellant causing problems in areosols out???

The perfume problem is actually the alcohol content.

One. NEVER EVER TELL THE POST OFFICE WHAT YOU ARE POSTING! The reason the ask if usually to see if you need to insure and pay more postage.

When asked what is in your package, you smile and say cosmetics nothing more.

As a harden criminal in this department having sent perfume all over the world.:devil: We on perfume boards who swap and sell know the routine. Not once has an aeroplane blown up because of us. Mail is in the cargo hole of the plane anyway and it is not pressurize. So they are morons.
Infact the woman behind the counter of my local post office does know, she just asks swapping perfume?

Harrods once told me they could not ship a bottle of Caron En Avion extract as the courier could not cross water. Told them I did not realize their used vampires as couriers. I am in Belfast and really the strip of water between the mainland UK is quite small. Other mainland stores have no problem and do us Royal Mail.

Oh I was once in a post office in central Belfast told you could not send any form of liquid through the post. It was a bottle of foundation infact and I said what it was. I just went to another post office and posted off.

some of these rules I swear are rules for the sake of rules. Why for instance has there never ever been a explosion at a petrol station following usage of a mobile, when we have all been told that we must not and it is highy dangerous? Even in hospitals and aircrafts we can now use mobiles, but I garantee it will be decades before we can use then in petrol stations. Went out for a meal on Friday and was told that the waitress could not collect a dirty glass as she was not allowed to carry it due to H&S but had to get a tray to collect it, and another tray to bring the clean glass....?????????
I don't know, some of these rules just seem so stupid. So, no more selling nail varnishes I do not like on ebay then eh?

The biggest area of concern in a petrol station will be where the fumes meets a spark AT the nozzle. That would only ignite if there was a spark between the battery and phone in close proximity. But, its a big but the resultant flame is quick and would actually be contained very quickly by the car (oddly it won't explode) and be self-extinguishing. Wouldn't wear a shell suit though because it generates static which can also create ignititon.

Maybe in the old days where radio transmitters were a bigger risk (bigger batteries) but now, its not.

Donna, I've done the same, most of the time perfume oils et al and I never ever write 'perfume' on the label. Cosmetic samples works just fine, thank you :D

Latest posts

Back