Exploitation of female presenters?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

argeybargey

Retired - Don't Quite Fit
Seems Gems are resorting to using women's bodies to sell their wares. We currently have Ali displaying her (admittedly very pretty) bumpy bits and leaning across the bench practically tipping it all out. Whilst - to a point - I'm a believer in "if you've got it, flaunt it" but in its place.

Perhaps the male grip on the credit card is loosened while all this is going on, in which case I say "serves 'em right", but it says a lot (and none of it good) about the employers who are exploiting their presenters so shamelessly. So much for a "family business". No doubt Ali is perfectly happy with the arrangement but she may well not realise the message that is coming across our screens.

This morning we had Scott going on and on making "sets" jokes, i.e. "I like morning sets". Personally I have no objection to this, other than it was becoming a bore, but do remember when you couldn't have a saucy laugh on "chat" without being put in your place like naughty schoolgirls. Talk about double standards. Oh dear! The biggest little "auction house" in Brum? (I suspect only older forumites will get that one). xxxxxxxxxx

OMG Argey! You made me look. All I ask is why why why!!!!!! I don't feel comfortable watching this at all.

I have to agree with you. Instead of looking at one tit, we are now subjected to three! The awful style of Gems tv sales staff has been copied by TJC. Stacey on Tjc; I mean really, how high can she push them up!

What worries me is that they may have been told (or at least encouraged) to dress like this. They didn't before. Meanwhile, the men continue to dress down, and down, and down. Scott looked like he'd just got up off his park bench this morning. I appreciate that he's apparently growing a beard (following in the shadow of his bezzy mate no doubt) but holidays are generally the best time for this unwashed look. It was worse a couple of days ago, but at least he's tidied it a little since then.
5.gif

xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for posting about this Argey. I am not a prude by any means but I feel uncomfortable watching Ali's (and others) boobs when looking at jewellery. Ali is a persistent offender too, she often has too much on show. Perhaps it could be more of an evening look, not best suited for breakfast time and younger viewers in my opinion.

I was considering an email to gems tv on this matter. There is a dress code for most people at work. I am a nurse, so I have to wear a uniform but most office workers would be sent home to change, or be given a warning to dress appropriately wouldn't they?

Inge x

If things are getting so bad at Gems maybe they're all touting for prospective employers?

If Scott has a hairy chest to go with his chin perhaps he'll have his shirt off next time? :eek:

Whilst I celebrate the female form in all it's glory, there's a time and place for everything and I really don't think a shopping tv channel is it!

OMG I hate facial hair. I always think men are either lazy, ugly, or covering some monstrous scarring. Looks manky. (Scottish word for dirty)

I love hairy men (not so much women though). Scott doesn't fit this criteria since even his beard is taking forever to grow, rather resembling a male adolescent's bottom. I thought he might be considering a comb up in which case I fear he has a long wait ahead of him.
1.gif
xxxxxxxxxxx

I love hairy men (not so much women though). Scott doesn't fit this criteria since even his beard is taking forever to grow, rather resembling a male adolescent's bottom. I thought he might be considering a comb up in which case I fear he has a long wait ahead of him.
1.gif
xxxxxxxxxxx

As me Monster-in-law always says......................Why cultivate on yer face what grows wild on yer arse??!!!:devil:

I hate tuning in and being faced with baps unless it's a Warburton's advert. It all seems a trifle tarty IMO and has little to do with selling jewellery unless it's nipple rings. Perhaps that's it? They're thinking of expanding the business?

As a big busted woman myself, I have to say that I wouldn't wear such low-cut clothes presenting. It's just not appropriate. Why would you need to do that if the company's products were good quality and the presenters talked knowledgeably about them, thereby drawing in real jewellery afficionados.
It's also a bit odd for Ali to do it since she seems to have a kind of irritating child-woman presenting style, something along the lines of a harder voiced Claire Sutton. She says things like: "Lots of lovely treats for us. Do you like this? aha, aha, so do I, oh, yes, I do." making it sound as if she's talking to particularly retarded 2 year olds. And in that regard, her incongruos style of dress is somewhat disconcerting.

I think a dress, hair and nail code would be a great idea, as oftentimes the presenter looks, shall we say, overdone. For instance, the other day when I had a look at Gems following the comments on the forum, I thought at first that Marie Antoinette was presenting. It was only after the words "extreme-er-ly ger-lam-orous, not per-lastic" had been uttered that I realised Lynn had been experimenting with her hair again. And then, as others have mentioned, the men look as if they've just stopped by after doing a spot of gardening. With the exception of Alan, of course, who always looks immaculate and has well-groomed hands. We've all mentioned many times the awful nails and the muck underneath them, magnified by the camera close-ups, and that's not an edifying sight.
One problem might be that the production staff are so young, and the level of professionalism found with older, more experienced people, simply isn't there. Half the people on camera look as if they're dressing for some kind of drag cabaret, that is if they're not dressed for late-night adult channels, and the others look like they're about to audition for parts in a Worzels tribute band.

I don't mind the "behind scenes" folk looking a bit scruff. Given his penchant for all-rounders, he probably has them scrubbing the floors during their breaks. xxxxxxxxxx

I think a dress, hair and nail code would be a great idea, as oftentimes the presenter looks, shall we say, overdone. For instance, the other day when I had a look at Gems following the comments on the forum, I thought at first that Marie Antoinette was presenting. It was only after the words "extreme-er-ly ger-lam-orous, not per-lastic" had been uttered that I realised Lynn had been experimenting with her hair again. And then, as others have mentioned, the men look as if they've just stopped by after doing a spot of gardening. With the exception of Alan, of course, who always looks immaculate and has well-groomed hands. We've all mentioned many times the awful nails and the muck underneath them, magnified by the camera close-ups, and that's not an edifying sight.

And I always thought it was Rae (Carpenter) you were referring to as she often incerludes extera syllabubbles
in her wordsa......:happy:

But this business of the ladies 'showing their wares' when they're 'showing their wares' has been going for years surely? Adina used to be commented on here many times for showing her 'bosom buddies' and the constant leaning
forward to umm..........'show her wares' ! :blush:

And I always thought it was Rae (Carpenter) you were referring to as she often incerludes extera syllabubbles
in her wordsa......:happy:

But this business of the ladies 'showing their wares' when they're 'showing their wares' has been going for years surely? Adina used to be commented on here many times for showing her 'bosom buddies' and the constant leaning
forward to umm..........'show her wares' ! :blush:

Now that I've pointed it out, Sacha, the extra syllables, that is, not the boobage, um. Just wait til you listen to Lynn next time and I can virtually guarantee that she'll talk about things being ger-lam-er-ous, not per-lastic, extreme-er-ley bee-uut-iful, not just for autum-er-nal wear.
You're quite right that Rae does it, too, but for me lynn has the ex-ter-a syll-abubb-le hab-it-er. xxxxxxxx

I don't think Ali needs any encouragement from Management to let it all hang out. I can remember complaining years ago in Gems TV Olden Times that she was putting me off my cereal. Now the others are following suit (perhaps sales go up just as they do with the heartbeat sound!)
I don't know what they think they look like (ger-lam-e-rous perhaps?), but I think they sometimes look as if I've landed on the wrong channel. :blush:

Last edited:
I think the presenters think they are achieving a glamorous look but quite simply it's tarty and trashy. The most elegant women in the world don't get their baps out. They do their hair, make up and nails immaculately and then dress in a timeless fashion.

I think the presenters think they are achieving a glamorous look but quite simply it's tarty and trashy. The most elegant women in the world don't get their baps out. They do their hair, make up and nails immaculately and then dress in a timeless fashion.

Exactly Meesh, remember Elisa (sp?) Portelli on TJC? An extremely attractive, well endowed lady, who always allowed the gems to be the main attraction. Shame she left, she was a class act.

Latest posts

Back