Oreck vacuum - any good?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

craftology

Registered Shopper
We're looking for a new vacuum and I have no idea what to get - MiL doesn't rate her pet Dyson, am really dithering between just getting a cheapy one or splurging. New house has carpet everywhere, spread over two floors, and we have two long haired cats.

Is the Oreck any good? I like that it's lightweight, not so keen on the bags not being widely available, also it doesn't have a nozzle attachment. Any comments would be appreciated, I'm tired of looking at vacuum cleaners!

YES :clapping::clapping::clapping:

I bought one a couple of years ago from QVC and it is really good. I had a Dyson upright at the time but this one beat it hands down for doing floors (carpets and wood).

It is also really slim as it flips flat so when I don't need it I 'park' it in a space between the wardrobe and the wall so that it is out of sight.

Remember though that it will not really do stairs or nooks and crannies and I have a Henry (kind of a cylinder machine) for that. I've got a bad shoulder (awaiting surgery) and I couldn't use a cylinder for doing large areas of floor though as it takes much more effort than the Oreck.

I've got cats and it handles their fur really well (but, again, will not do chairs etc).

I wouldn't change from an Oreck and when it goes to that great junk yard in the sky I will replace it with another one.

No, I'm not on commission:wink:

(Have a look at the Oreck site - I think some models might have attachments)

Last edited:
There was a thread on this subject a while back - I do have an Oreck, which is sitting in the loft. It was ok in its day - I also had a stair-hugger Dyson but I didn't rate that, and now I use Sebo - I have a small light one upstairs and a heavier one downstairs, and they're very good, no hesitation in recommending them to anyone. Unfortunately QVC don't do them so you can't try before you buy!

Another vote for Oreck! I bought mine when we moved into this house (13 years ago) and used it on a horrid pink bedroom carpet which was grey around the skirting boards. DH thought I'd shampood the carpet, but it was just the oreck working right up to the edges which my previous vac didn't (nor did the one used by the previous owner of the house).

Mine came with the small cannister which is great for stairs and has all the usual nozzle and brush attachments for upholstery and reaching cobwebs. It also inflates air bed, paddling pools etc at the exhaust end, which also fits all the attachments if you want to blow rather than suck.

I love the fact it's just got an on/off switch and no other settings are required. The bags last ages. The rotating brush copes with DD's long hairs and it's easy to clear any trapped hairs. The kids can use it without me having to explain how it works.

Inspite of Mr Dyson's claims I've never experienced any loss of suction as the bag fills.

My mother-in-law has had hers for nearly 20 years and as we both have joint problems the lightness is huge bonus factor.

I'd go for the set of Oreck large and cannister vacuum as a first time buyer; if I need to replace mine I'd go for the TSV as I already have the cannister.

HTH

Jude xx

I love my Oreck !
I replaced my elderly , but still functioning vacuum cleaner with an Oreck about 6 months ago. We have two cats and a german shepherd dog so the pet hairs were becoming a problem. It was a good decision ! The Oreck is very effective in getting all the bits removed from the carpets and also the hard floor in the kitchen. It is lightweight and easy to carry upstairs and so straightforward to use .
My slight criticism is that it's quite noisy , but it does its job so well I can forgive that. Older Oreck models are available from QVC outlet shops with substantial cost savings , if you have one of these within reach of you.

So the best combination would be either the TSV + the canister set or item No. 831625, the set. Works out about the same price.

I have the oreck XL and I wouldn`t swap it for anything. I dithered to start with because I had a carpet that unless you got on your hands and knees there was no way you could get the dog hairs off it. Thought I would give the oreck a go and have never looked back since, picked up the dog hairs in one sweep. Excellent Product. I bought mine from oreck direct and I can say the after sales service is also excellent. I had a problem with mine under guarantee, they picked it up from the house on the Tuesday and it was returned to me on the Friday so you couldn`t ask for better service than that.

I have had my Oreck for about 10 years and would highly recommend them. I also have 2 long haired cats and using the Oreck is a doddle. Also have a Dyson but the Oreck beats that hands down.

I also love my oreck.
Had dyson previously and it just doesn't compare. I hate housework but I actualy don't mind using the oreck(well it's gotta be done!) I have the oreck XL and it takes ages to fill a bag up. Realy easy to change it too. When u need extra bags, buy them on ebay.
Would highly recommend.

The canister Oreck is one crock of sh1t

I bought it after the bowling ball demo thinking it would be good for mine, OH and DDs cars

I ended up chucking it on the tip after 2 months ****** useless IMVHO

Last edited:
I'm a little tempted too. (tempted by a vacuum cleaner - what has my life come to??)

I currently have a Henry (well, a Hetty!) which I guess I was rather seduced into buying because it was pretty and pink. I had new (probably too pale) carpets fitted a year or so back and since then the Hetty seems REALLY difficult to push across the floor. Not so much the main body of the thing (on wheels) but the head bit seems to really drag on the carpet and after doing one room, or the living room rug - I'm exhausted!

Also, living in a house with near vertical stairs, dragging the Hetty up the stairs is also pretty knackering.

I like the look of the Oreck demos. I love the fact it looks so light and can be hung up or stored in a small space and that it looks so easy to use. However I feel bad buying another vacuum cleaner when there is actually nothing mechanically wrong with the Hetty. If the Oreck isn't going to be any improvement, then I wonder if I shouldn't buy it.

And will I miss having attachments? Not too worried about the stairs. They are steep and narrow and I often just brush them and then hoover at the top and bottom, so that wouldn't really be a problem. But would I really need attachments if the Oreck is so "edge to edge". Suppose it might be worth a go with the easy payments.

Additionally, I've just been diagnosed with asthma. I really should be keeping the dust down at home (better than I do) plus I have a cockatiel, probably just about the most dust creating bird ever. I've been off work all week with bronchitis too. I guess cutting down on dust is a must for me right now!

Hmmmmm - undecided!

Last edited:
We had a Henry in the last house we rented and while I liked it it was pretty heavy to lug around and actually overheated several times. The new house had laminate flooring but the landlord has apparently put carpet in there since we viewed it - it also has rather narrow and steep stairs.

The demo looked good, and the feedback here has been so positive that it's swayed me. Was looking at Vax carpet washers and Dysons and simple Hoovers and whatnot and to be honest I am not *that* invested in vacuums and cleaning in general and just wanted to get it over with!

Well Ive taken the plunge too. I figure that I've only shelled out the first easy pay at the moment and if it really doesn't live up to the hype, then it'll go straight back. If I do keep it, I'll still have Hetty and her tubes for any of my little nooks and er...crannies!

I'm looking for a new vacuum cleaner too, but will wait to see what the Dyson TSV is at the end of the month. I just cannot find any enthusiasm for the Oreck, it's like it's gone back in time 50 years, so old fashioned and a good looking vacuum cleaner is important!! :happy:

What I did find on my searches is a fab AEG rechargeable thing that would be great to just clear up crumbs and stuff. We have a QVC swivel sweeper but hubs is fed up of cutting out all my hair that's got stuck around the brushes... ewww! The AEG one also has a hand held cleaner to do the car.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...=X&ei=ZdKFTZiZBdOChQeCivXRBA&ved=0CEUQ8wIwAg#

I wanted this but dithered too long and now looking at the Nilfisk Action Plus at Argos. But I loved the demo where she hung it on a hook...sadly missed it but it is expensive anyway I suppose.

I have the Vax Commercial really good lightweight machine..looks and works like the Oreck but about £60!

Last edited:
I bought the Orek+canister set a couple of months ago. I had thought my Dyson was OK but on cream carpets I could always see a slight haze of my dogs hair. When I tried my Orek I just couldn't believe the difference, no hairs and when I went to open the lounge door it felt as if I had just had a new carpet laid.It had raised the pile beautifully. The canister is brill as well, light and powerful for hard to get to areas. My only problem is that the orek is a bit noisier than the Dyson and I have to cover the parrot up or else he falls off his perch. lol

I bought an Oreck from the outlet shop some years ago. Think its ok on carpets but there is no function on it to retract the brushes when cleaning hard floors like there is on other cleaners, and I think it damaged my laminate flooring over time. I now have a Dyson ball and love it, all tools on board and no bags!

The main advantage of it I think is that it's really lightweight and takes no effort to push it or to carry upstairs.

The main disadvantage is that if your childrens' friends spot it they start to laugh hysterically as they think it's a relic from the 1950's :mysmilie_483:

We're looking for a new vacuum and I have no idea what to get - MiL doesn't rate her pet Dyson, am really dithering between just getting a cheapy one or splurging. New house has carpet everywhere, spread over two floors, and we have two long haired cats.

Is the Oreck any good? I like that it's lightweight, not so keen on the bags not being widely available, also it doesn't have a nozzle attachment. Any comments would be appreciated, I'm tired of looking at vacuum cleaners!

I have an upright Miele would recommend it.

Latest posts

Back