Soapy face ???

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
:devil:Sorry, but I REALLY do have to comment on this.

On the L'Occitaine show Jill F was practically recoiling in horror that to wash your face with soap and water was THE ultimate sin ! - there were more "Helloooooooo's" than ever being spouted, as well as acting like a bar of soap was the devil incarnate !

Did her mother never wash her face as a kid then with a flannel and soap ? Yes, I reallise there are some ladies who prefer to use cream cleansers to soap, BUT I have yet to meet one who is so precious about it.

Its a personal thing Miss Franks, and with me its the feeling of being "clean" after a wash - then I slap on the beauty products. So to treat using soap with the same contempt as smoking a packet of fags in one go, wasn't called for.

:devil:Sorry, but I REALLY do have to comment on this.

On the L'Occitaine show Jill F was practically recoiling in horror that to wash your face with soap and water was THE ultimate sin ! - there were more "Helloooooooo's" than ever being spouted, as well as acting like a bar of soap was the devil incarnate !

Did her mother never wash her face as a kid then with a flannel and soap ? Yes, I reallise there are some ladies who prefer to use cream cleansers to soap, BUT I have yet to meet one who is so precious about it.

Its a personal thing Miss Franks, and with me its the feeling of being "clean" after a wash - then I slap on the beauty products. So to treat using soap with the same contempt as smoking a packet of fags in one go, wasn't called for.

yet in the same show she admitted to using washing up liquid as handwash.... errr HELLO??

actually that show contained so many lies and contradictions i lost count. i was ready to kill them both by the end of it.
"i dont do fruit smells but this apricot isnt fruit, its GORGEOUS! this is so mine hellooo!"

5 minutes later

"its a delicious fresh fruity apricot, not at all sickly... i have GOT to have this... HELLOO!"

SILLY MOO. HELLO!!

I nearly ordered the Ultra Rich Face Scrub on Friday, it was £20 plus £3.45 pp, decided not which was just as well. Went into town yesterday and in the L'Ocitane store they had it for £16, it wasn't on offer that is the normal price. Needless to say I got one and saved £7.45 !
Where is the value in that QVC ?

Last edited:
*comes out of the closet*

I wash my face with soap. I do not get on with cream cleansers of any description. It's my own personal choice, I just don't like them. I like the feeling of lather and water. I find it's really the only way to get rid of make up properly on my own skin. I have used L'occitane soap on my face for a long time, and I'm still here - my face hasn't rotted off and slithered down the sink as many on QVC would have us believe.

I hope AY is reading this next bit - sometimes, when times are hard money wise, I will wash my face with DOVE SOAP!!! (Which costs 53p a bar) but in all honesty works just as well, and no SLS in it. Again, my face is still attached, it never feels sore or dry after using either. Please don't throw rotten fruit at me... :wink: .

*slinks back into closet*

I'm with you over this Cavey. I came out long ago on here about this same subject. I've only ever used soap and water and wouldn't dream of trying to 'clean' my face with all that assorted gloop. Pears soap has always been my choice and the only moisturiser I've ever used since I was a teenager is Olay (formerly when it was pink and called Ulay) and now their Daily Renewal Cream which is completely absorbed and doesn't leave any greasy residue. It really makes me laugh to hear Gobby and the so called beauty (Kieley and Fiona - erm I don't think so :dull:) guest presenters spout all their nonsense about slapping on this that and the other expensive products all purporting to be anti ageing miracles, and I'm shocked that people can't see through it. I'm not surprised so many people ring in about skin problems when they're clogging up their pores and constantly changing the chemical balance of their skin with all that assorted junk. Save yourselves a fortune and go back to SIMPLE. Seemples really.

Can I just ask - if these people don't use soap and water - how on earth do they wash behind their ears and the back of their necks. ???????

I'm with you over this Cavey. I came out long ago on here about this same subject. I've only ever used soap and water and wouldn't dream of trying to 'clean' my face with all that assorted gloop. Pears soap has always been my choice and the only moisturiser I've ever used since I was a teenager is Olay (formerly when it was pink and called Ulay) and now their Daily Renewal Cream which is completely absorbed and doesn't leave any greasy residue. It really makes me laugh to hear Gobby and the so called beauty (Kieley and Fiona - erm I don't think so :dull:) guest presenters spout all their nonsense about slapping on this that and the other expensive products all purporting to be anti ageing miracles, and I'm shocked that people can't see through it. I'm not surprised so many people ring in about skin problems when they're clogging up their pores and constantly changing the chemical balance of their skin with all that assorted junk. Save yourselves a fortune and go back to SIMPLE. Seemples really.

:heart:

I think a simple routine is the best :talking:. I admit that I do use a seperate eye cream and moisturiser too and that I do also use a natural face oil at night, but that's all in terms of slapping potions on - I like nice skincare, but nice uncomplicated skincare. You have to use whatever range suits your skin in whatever price bracket you can afford, but in terms of anti ageing miracles you just will not find it in a pot, and no-one will convince me otherwise.

I have to agree with you saying about the people ringing in with skin problems "I use this, followed by this, then I put this on, followed by a layer of that, but I'm still finding that my skin is full of grease and spots and there's a layer of lard left on there big enough to cook chips...is there something else I can slot into my routine to help?":call::drunk:

My Grandmother used Camay soap & Ponds cold cream on her face. She had beautiful skin & barely a wrinkle to be seen in her early seventies when she sadly passed.

My mum too has the most beautiful skin at aged 83, her routine was always soap and water, Camay or Lux and a really good dollop of Pond's Cold Cream and their moisturising cream. Pond's is still amazing.:sun:

I hope AY is reading this next bit - sometimes, when times are hard money wise, I will wash my face with DOVE SOAP!!! (Which costs 53p a bar) but in all honesty works just as well, and no SLS in it. Again, my face is still attached, it never feels sore or dry after using either. Please don't throw rotten fruit at me... :wink: .

nowt wrong with Dove, i wouldnt be without it. 53p versus £8 for a L'occitane facial soap? errr hello??

speaking of L'occy alternatives recently i bought some shower/bath oil from Boots. it was by that company who do the cocoa butter products and i'm buggered if i can remember the name of them now. i want to say Ponds but its not.... sorry. i'm sure you know who i mean. ANYway their shower oil was £4.75 it was exactly the same texture and feel as L'occitane's almond one except that it smelled of cocoa butter. in other words CHOCOLATE. i mean like HELLO?????

The best things you can do for your skin are to stay out of the sun and don't smoke.

If you're happy with soap and water fine, if you want to use a cleansing cream fine, it really is each to their own. My hubby is a soap and water guy - and he has wonderful skin. Me, I'm a shower gel girl that prefers a wash off cleanser on her face 'cos I lurves my Clarisonic:)

You pays your money and makes your choice.

nowt wrong with Dove, i wouldnt be without it. 53p versus £8 for a L'occitane facial soap? errr hello??

speaking of L'occy alternatives recently i bought some shower/bath oil from Boots. it was by that company who do the cocoa butter products and i'm buggered if i can remember the name of them now. i want to say Ponds but its not.... sorry. i'm sure you know who i mean. ANYway their shower oil was £4.75 it was exactly the same texture and feel as L'occitane's almond one except that it smelled of cocoa butter. in other words CHOCOLATE. i mean like HELLO?????

Do you mean Palmers?

My mum too has the most beautiful skin at aged 83, her routine was always soap and water, Camay or Lux and a really good dollop of Pond's Cold Cream and their moisturising cream. Pond's is still amazing.:sun:

I read an interview once with Joan Collins & she said that she never allowed the sun on her face & all she ever used used on her skin was Nivea.

I brought some Palmers body lotion yesterday. It smells wonderful. I put a load on my hands , legs & arms last night & my skin looks really good today. I'm still after Waitrose's Baby Bottom Butter but cannot get the ****** thing

Last edited:
I think the whole point is that you can use whatever you like, it's your own personal choice and whatever you choose you certainly shouldn't be vilified over it! I use everything from Neutrogena to Elemis, depending on what my skin is up to and what I can afford that particular month. All through Uni I used the whole Boots cucumber range coz that's all I could afford. Like others have said, my face didn't fall off, no-one died and I still look younger than my 38 years. I HATE this thing QVC do of making out that you are nothing short of a failure as a human being if you don't use X, Y or Z...unless of course X, Y and Z is what they're flogging 60 minutes later, then it's the best thing since sliced bread. Make up your minds people...

I think so many of us have fallen into the trap of QVC hype from AY. She was there to sell & she has done her job well because so many of us, myself included :blush: fell for it beleieving that you had to spend money to look good.

IMO AY's skin does not now look that great so despite all the expensive jallop she has used it has not helped her complexion

Last edited:
I think so many of us have fallen into the trap of QVC hype from AY. She was there to sell & she has done her job well because so many of us, myself included :blush: fell for it beleieving that you had to spend money to look good.

And she never fails to tell us that she introduced us to the wonders of the coloured gloop that is salon quality/sizes SBC. Yes, she is responsible alright for bringing that stuff to Q, wow! BTW, notice Eve LOM cleanser back, hatchets buried there then?

Latest posts

Back