Should Sit-Up Channels have adverts to reduce P&P

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

steveh31

Registered Shopper
Would the three channels benefit if they had paid adverts to reduce the p&p surely if the p&p was lower people would be more likely to buy the channels could make a tidy profit selling advertising and could sell products for even less the viewers would surely flock to get a bargain.

I think adverts and get rid of p&p altogether is the way forward for the company it seems pointless to have the inhouse adverts they currently broadcast.

Would the three channels benefit if they had paid adverts to reduce the p&p surely if the p&p was lower people would be more likely to buy the channels could make a tidy profit selling advertising and could sell products for even less the viewers would surely flock to get a bargain.

I think adverts and get rid of p&p altogether is the way forward for the company it seems pointless to have the inhouse adverts they currently broadcast.

Any chance you could decipher your first sentance - I cannot understand a word??!! :grin:

All I would say (ask) is which company would be mug-enough to be associated with the sh!t-up channels? I really cant see it being financially viable to be honest.

Rich

When you decide to watch Bid tv, Price-Drop or indeed any other shopping channel you are basically sitting down with your cuppa to watch a very long set of adverts. Adverts presented live and of varying quality, but adverts nonetheless. Every different product is an advert for that product. It is designed to encourage you to put down your cuppa, pick up the phone and buy. Nothing more. So what you are suggesting is that adverts are inserted into a channel of adverts. In addition, why would sit-up want to accept adverts from other companies which may tempt people to buy these products, rather than the products sit-up are advertising themselves? It wouldn't work. The only adverts in the sense you mean will remain the teleshopping presentations (adverts) shown while the live service is not operating, which is a good use of otherwise dead airtime.

But what would be the point? The "adverts for themselves" they do show (Bid early, pick of the week at 9pm, Paul Ross at 8pm, etc etc) are all still designed to get people to buy more stuff from the channels themselves - or tune in another time and buy more stuff then. Adverts from anything else would distract from the whole point of the service - "buy stuff from us". Also, people watching Bid tv etc, like people watching any other channel, would be more likely to switch away from the channel (and therefore possibly not come back) if these traditional ads came on. The whole point of live shopping channels and the presenter banter and mentions and jollity is to make it not feel like an advert even though it is. So adverts for Barclays or whatever would still totally ruin the feel of the channel, turn people off and generally not work for sit-up or the viewers.

What a daft idea.

If the BidUp network thought carrying adverts would be profitable they would have done it by now.

The truth of the matter is that they aint going to fix something that aint broke!

You and I aren't stupid enough to part with £9 in charges before we bought anything on this network...

... but there are thousands of gullible fools who will and as long as there are gullible fools out there willing to pay these extortionate charges then BidUp aint gonna change a thing!

I remember at the beginning when they used to sell quite respectable products. Compare it to the crap they are offloading in their "Spring Clearance Event" right now, it's a measure of their success in cultivating a particular audience and market.

It's Supply and Demand.

What a daft idea.

If the BidUp network thought carrying adverts would be profitable they would have done it by now.

The truth of the matter is that they aint going to fix something that aint broke!

You and I aren't stupid enough to part with £9 in charges before we bought anything on this network...

... but there are thousands of gullible fools who will and as long as there are gullible fools out there willing to pay these extortionate charges then BidUp aint gonna change a thing!

I remember at the beginning when they used to sell quite respectable products. Compare it to the crap they are offloading in their "Spring Clearance Event" right now, it's a measure of their success in cultivating a particular audience and market.

It's Supply and Demand.

Even though I wouldnt be so brusque with my reply (read: your first sentance) (I'm sure you didnt mean to sound rude), I completely agree 100% with the rest of your post especially the last bits. Great post!

Rich

Last edited:
I don't know, is the honest answer from me Steve! We have stopped watching situps for the following reasons:

1. The tat they sell
2. Treating the viewer as if they don't have 2 brain cells to make asynapse. 'Int this lovely' Oh we're in trouble now. This wasn't meant to go as low as this'
3. The postage
4.The hard sell The presenters i.e. salespeople are more like the spivs you see selling from a suitcase.

As I said, we have stopped watching and I expect a load of other folk have as well. So, if the remaining people are happy with the format, why change it?

I don't know, is the honest answer from me Steve! We have stopped watching situps for the following reasons:

1. The tat they sell
2. Treating the viewer as if they don't have 2 brain cells to make asynapse. 'Int this lovely' Oh we're in trouble now. This wasn't meant to go as low as this'
3. The postage
4.The hard sell The presenters i.e. salespeople are more like the spivs you see selling from a suitcase.

As I said, we have stopped watching and I expect a load of other folk have as well. So, if the remaining people are happy with the format, why change it?

Bid TV has always sold tat, but in recent months the tat has become much more frequent (and tattier). Actual bargains, namely products that are worth buying from them, are few and far between; even the end of line products they sometimes sell can often be bought cheaper elsewhere especially when taking into consideration the P&P.

Together with the increase in tat, Bid TV 'presenters' are now using hard sell tactics like never before, and this was obvious when decent presenters started to be edged out of the schedule (Greg Scott, etc.), presumably because they weren't selling enough product. This has been accompanied with certain presenters becoming more economical with the truth on occasion, presumably as a consequence of being pushed by management to meet sales targets.

Oh, and as for treating their viewers as if they're intellectually challenged, well the people who fall for this sort of thing just happen to be their most 'valued' customers :devil:

As for other companies' adverts showing on Bid TV, etc., this was tried for a while in the past (in 2005/2006?) but this idea was dropped after a few months. The only ad I can remember from this period was Ocean Finance but there were other ads like you would see on other channels for things such as household products, etc.

Ideal World showed adverts for a while, but it didn't last long.

I'd guess the income they generated was minute and it must have been a pain ensuring that the contents of the adverts did't clash with what Ideal World sold.

As for P&P charges: of course it could be reduced, but that would lead to the price of the products increasing.

As for P&P charges: of course it could be reduced, but that would lead to the price of the products increasing.

You are right of course, but to me that would be better... almost like more honest. It really p!sses me off when they say such-and-such a piece of crap is only £2.99 and no one will pay more than £2.99 when you then have to factor in another tenner EACH for the obscene p&p and call charges!

Rich

As for other companies' adverts showing on Bid TV, etc., this was tried for a while in the past (in 2005/2006?) but this idea was dropped after a few months. The only ad I can remember from this period was Ocean Finance but there were other ads like you would see on other channels for things such as household products, etc.

Yes I remember this now for some reason I thought it was TV Travel Shop but yes I remember Ocean Finance advertising on there.

Latest posts

Back