Does this happen to you re feather beds?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Gem Genie

Registered Shopper
I am being driven to distraction. Really, I am beginning to rue the day I ever bought the thing.

I have a Northern Nights Down on Top feather bed and the blessed thing will just NOT stay on the bed.

I have a double bed and on top of it is a memory foam topper, then the feather bed, then a quilted mattress cover then my bottom sheet.

When I change the bed, everything is hunky dory for about two nights then it starts to happen again. The featherbed starts to move over towards the edge where I sleep until eventually it is almost on the floor and is only contained by the mattress cover and bottom sheet. I might add that is is most uncomfortable too.

Now, I can hear you say, "why don't you put it right every morning?" Well, I have health problems and it is all I can do to make the bed so do not want to have to be fluffing up the blessed featherbed every day too. The duvet is heavy enough.

There are no loops at the corners and I cannot think why it is moving all the time.

Does this happen to anyone else by the way?

Hi GG :happy:
Do you find you sit on the side of the bed a lot, say when you're dressing?
My mattress topper sometimes goes walkies like that and I think it's because I always get in the bed the same side and I sit on the bed when I dress too, because of mobility problems.

My bed is quite high too which doesn't help.

I did change the mattress around which solved it for a while, but I think it's started doing it again. :wonder:

I feel your pain :blush:

I have a double bed and on top of it is a memory foam topper, then the feather bed, then a quilted mattress cover then my bottom sheet.

The trouble is.. you're head is too close to the ceiling :giggle: (sorry, not a very helpful reply but you did make me chuckle)

"Rest Assured !" GG you are NOT the only one !

I bought my damn thing several years ago, and YES it never stays put.

I live and sleep on my own, so the bed never gets 'made' every day - a quick flick of the duvet is about all it gets. The feather bed is fine for the first couple of nights, then gradually it slides to the edge, no matter how tight I make it with the sheet on top tucked under the mattress. AND NO I never get dressed sitting on the bed. I suppose its just movement in the night that shifts the bl....dy thing. And anyway there is more to life than plumping up a feather bed every morning. !

I have seen others in catalogues that have corner straps attached that fit over the corners of the mattress, I would imagine that would help; could be that you get catapulted out of bed with that idea !

At least take comfort in that you aint the only one that suffers from Sliding f/b Syndrome !!!!

I only cover the feather bed with the fitted sheet and not the mattress, that helps when you need to straighten it I find:call:

Yes ... I thought it was just me !!!

My FB is always sliding down the bed, so I end up with a big "footstool" at the bottom of the fitted sheet. I am forever pulling the damn thing back up to the top of the bed ...

I have my FB on top of my matress, with my just my fitted sheet over the top of the FB.

Its a right pain in the a*se I can tell you .... !!!!

Missy x

I ended up with 2 featherbeds when I was with my ex, as he didn't like a firm mattress and I need more support than he did.

We had the NN featherbed that couldn't stay put on its own, and a cheaper topper from Argos with "corner loops" on top to keep the NN one in place. I bought the Argos one after waking up one too many times in the middle of the night to find half the featherbed making a break for it.

I didn't like the featherbed: it made me feel too hot and unable to sleep, rather than "softly cushioned in a big body pillow".

Last edited:
I am being driven to distraction. Really, I am beginning to rue the day I ever bought the thing.

I have a Northern Nights Down on Top feather bed and the blessed thing will just NOT stay on the bed.

When I change the bed, everything is hunky dory for about two nights then it starts to happen again. The featherbed starts to move over towards the edge where I sleep until eventually it is almost on the floor and is only contained by the mattress cover and bottom sheet. I might add that is is most uncomfortable too.

Now, I can hear you say, "why don't you put it right every morning?" Well, I have health problems and it is all I can do to make the bed so do not want to have to be fluffing up the blessed featherbed every day too. The duvet is heavy enough.

There are no loops at the corners and I cannot think why it is moving all the time.

Could it be slipping on your memory foam topper? Have you tried removing the foam topper to see if it stays in place? I have a feather bed on top my mattress, a mattress protector then deep pocketed sheet on top and it all stays in place.

I agree with Lily, I think the memory foam topper is the problem. I used to have a feather bed and it didn't wander, it was just so heavy to shake up when making the bed.

Sorry to have a giggle GG but it made me think of the princess and the pea as well. :giggle:

Must be very annoying, not sure if this is a silly idea, but would it be practicable to attach some long velcro strips to the feather mattress with the opposite strips on the sides of main mattress?

You could be right in that it could be slipping on top of the memory foam topper. Trouble is the topper is really most comfortable and I don't think the featherbed on its own would help me.

I don't sit on the side of the mattress so it isn't that either.

I tell you though, the moment one of these blessed things comes on the NNights segments on QVC, I look for something to hurl at the screen. They really are so heavy too. Course they never explain things like this to you on a shopping channel do they?

My daughter says it happens because I sleep alone and if there were two of us we would cancel each other out so to speak, she could be right.

I've always covered my mattresses. It's just something my Mother taught me to do. She always liked to keep things new looking for as long as possible.

One thing is for sure though. I certainly won't be forking out £111 for a set of bedding as in the Kelly Hoppen offering. I do have some Northern Nights but I only buy it when it is on a clearance offer. Usually I buy the Egyptian cotton ones at TKMaxx.

You can buy straps to hold fitted sheets in place - they have a clip on each end and are wide elastic.

I'm not sure where to get them from but I bought something similar (from Kleeneze or Betterware or some such) that was designed for ironing board covers but I used them on my sheet and they worked fine. They go across the corner under the matress. They might work for you.:happy:

*update* Kleeneze ironing board straps - also a quick google showed up several sources of sheet fasteners/straps including amazon. Hope this helps x

Last edited:
I have a QVC FB topper on my water bed, so it is impossible to fix it to anything (you could try fixing yours to the mattress with big safety pins, but I couldn't lol).

Mine keeps sliding down away from the top towards the bottom, so I have to pull it up most days. It doesn't slip sideways though.

My feather bed slips off and I don't have anything else on the bed apart from a fitted sheet of course. It also needs shaking daily to redistribute the feathers but it actually gets done when I change the sheets.

I really hate it now and if it hadn't cost so much, it would have been taken to the tip long ago. I don't even find it that comfortable. It is as they say, like sleeping encased in a cloud, but I'm not sure I like that. The spare bed has a memory foam which is MUCH nicer.

I had those elastic corners on my memory topper, but as it's a pain in the bum to get deep enough fitted sheets, I end up doing what the previous poster does - jiust put the fitted sheet around the topper and a different sheet or valance on the mattress - which has meant removing the elastic things from the mattress and so the topper slips!

it'll be the bedbugs.

I used to have a featherbed but didn't have the slippy-slidey problem - but I never used it with a memory topper - I traded mine in for the topper and found that much better for me - doesn't need a shake up every morning - like someone else said, I used a fitted sheet or a duvet cover for my featherbed only, and a valance sheet on the actual mattress...that makes it easier to give the f/bed a little shake each morning I think...

My featherbed is a number of years old now, very heavy and doesn't move an inch! I bought my son a new one for Christmas and read a review where the buyer says she uses it as a heavy duvet. I couldn't get my head around this as there is absolutely no way you could do this with mine. When my son's arrived however, it was so much lighter and flimsier that the one I have that I understood a bit better where she was coming from. I love mine but it does make me wary of which to buy when I come to replace it.

Latest posts

Back