QVC Payment - charged twice

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Pauli

Registered Shopper
Hello Everyone, :handshake:

This is my first post to the forum, although I have been a lurker for several months. My apologies that my first post is to have a moan about QVC.

I've just checked my credit card to discover that QVC have charged me twice for an item I ordered last week. One amount has been posted to my credit card, while the other is 'pending', which means that the money has been 'earmarked' and is therefore unavailable for me to use. I phoned QVC and have been told they cannot do anything until Monday when the Finance Department are available. In fact the CS representative was very unhelpful - to the point of indifference. He did say that the amount pending would 'drop off' in a few days, but was unable to tell me why it had been taken in the first place. I'm a new customer to QVC and wondered if this double charging is a common occurrence. The amount involved is not a large sum but if this sort of thing happens often, I'll certainly hesitate before purchasing anything from them again!

Pauli

Oh, not again!
They've done this before, though they did refund the money the same week.

Welcome to the forum, Pauli.

Welcome Pauli.

Sorry that your first post is to complain about QVC but glad you've taken the plunge and joined us.:clapping::hi:

Hello Pauli and welcome !!!! that happened to me but they sort it out pretty quick . xx

Welcome to the Forum Pauli. A moan, to extol the virtues of!, to praise the presenters or not, to ask for a heads up on the TSV, whatever the theme, we want to hear it. Have fun!

Welcome to the Forum Pauli. A moan, to extol the virtues of!, to praise the presenters or not, to ask for a heads up on the TSV, whatever the theme, we want to hear it. Have fun!

Thank you all for your kind welcome. It's good to hear that it will all be sorted in a few days.

Pauli:mysmilie_508:

Hi Pauli, good, bad or indifferent put it all on here. Hope you get sorted out to your satisfaction soon.I have several moans about Q but have never had a prob with their CS, maybe just me!Anyway Welcome!

Pauli-welcome!
I can tell you why it happens, but it won't help you sort it! I work for a bank and this is a common problem. What tends to happen is that right at the last minute, when the bank has issued an authorisation code, the server link might be lost, and the transaction seems at the retailer's end to have failed, so they put it through again. Unfortunately, once the code has been issued, whether the retailer has received it or not, the money is sidelined in your account, and you can't get to that part of your balance. For that reason, we find retailers incresingly unhelpful in dealing with this - they have their guaranteed transaction, and the additional earmark does not affect THEM. it only affects the poor bugger who has had two amounts earmarked!!! There is no benefit to them therefore, in spending time sorting it out, as they won't gain anything. To be totally fair, they don't actually do it deliberately, but they should ASK before attempting again. That way, the customer could check with their bank first to see whether they will be affected.
The earmark will be removed automatically after 5 working days, but QVC could do something sooner if they want to.
For those wondering, the bank cannot remove the earmark,as they have no sure way of knowing if it is correct. For example, I bought 3 of the Lola Rose TSV's, all at exactly the same price, so my bank wouldn't know whether they were duplicates or genuine purchases.
I hope this helps, and I understand totally how annoying it is!

Pauli-welcome!
I can tell you why it happens, but it won't help you sort it! I work for a bank and this is a common problem. What tends to happen is that right at the last minute, when the bank has issued an authorisation code, the server link might be lost, and the transaction seems at the retailer's end to have failed, so they put it through again. Unfortunately, once the code has been issued, whether the retailer has received it or not, the money is sidelined in your account, and you can't get to that part of your balance. For that reason, we find retailers incresingly unhelpful in dealing with this - they have their guaranteed transaction, and the additional earmark does not affect THEM. it only affects the poor bugger who has had two amounts earmarked!!! There is no benefit to them therefore, in spending time sorting it out, as they won't gain anything. To be totally fair, they don't actually do it deliberately, but they should ASK before attempting again. That way, the customer could check with their bank first to see whether they will be affected.
The earmark will be removed automatically after 5 working days, but QVC could do something sooner if they want to.
For those wondering, the bank cannot remove the earmark,as they have no sure way of knowing if it is correct. For example, I bought 3 of the Lola Rose TSV's, all at exactly the same price, so my bank wouldn't know whether they were duplicates or genuine purchases.
I hope this helps, and I understand totally how annoying it is!

Thanks Craftybel. It has helped.:happy:

Yoohoo Pauli! Hello and welcome :wave: I hope QVC get your account sorted asap, and thank you to craftybel for the explanation.

Jude xx

Thanks, guys! I am nervous these days, admitting I work for a dreaded bank!!!!!
It does help being just one of the plebs, rather than one of the swines at the top who were responsible for causing havoc in the marketplace!!!!!

Latest posts

Back