Actifry

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Swankypants

Registered Shopper
I have caught two presentations of the Actifry where the price is heralded as £111.11.

I was surprised given that, usually for special occasions, IW [and QVC] will knock just a fiver off. No, this time the usual price of £169.99 has been slashed to £111.11. [faints]

But the first thing they do is then reel off a list of other suppliers who all bar two have a price which is LESS than the normal IW price. I wonder if IW will reel these off when their price goes back up?!

If it remains at that price then I will be impressed by a smidgeon. Otherwise it would seam to be to be proof that IW is just an infomercial channel with a primary audience that are 'dippers in' and not as continuity conscious as us!

Their prices do seem to vary a lot, however tis weekend's price for the actifry almost tempted me.

I saw it on IW in November 2009 and was impressed. I got it elsewhere on-line at a lot less than their POD price, I paid £116, the cheapest I could find on the net, so the IW price is good.

It is very useful, I even roast my own peanuts or cashews with it.

I first saw an Actifry on IW. After my husband's coronary in 2009 I bought one in Curry's much cheaper than on the channel. It is a marvelous piece of kit, and very versatile. I make a point of watching the IW demos for ideas and must say I've learned a lot from them, that aren't in the recipe book which came with it.

Perhaps the actifry is due to come down in price generally as it does seem very overpriced compared with lots of other kitchen appliances.

My mother had one until it set itself on fire. Luckily she was in the kitchen at the time.

Just googled "Actifry fires" and there are 100's of reports of them catching fire.

Now I feel nervous about using mine, especially as I can't keep an eye on it continously while it is in use.

I've probably only used it about a dozen times so far.

If possible, I would like to get a refund BEFORE mine catches fire, but doubt if I can. Have contacted the retailer to see what will happen if/when it catches fire.

I've had mine for nearly 18months and no problems with it and I use it at least 2 or 3 times a week, not just for chips but roasting veg I even made tomato soup with it. I always make sure the air vent at the back is not obstructed though.

Just googled "Actifry fires" and there are 100's of reports of them catching fire.

Now I feel nervous about using mine, especially as I can't keep an eye on it continously while it is in use.

I've probably only used it about a dozen times so far.

If possible, I would like to get a refund BEFORE mine catches fire, but doubt if I can. Have contacted the retailer to see what will happen if/when it catches fire.

You would think if there had been so many complaints about them setting on fire that they would have to have recalled them . I suppose they must think that they are safe to use or they wouldn't be able to sell them.

We have had ours over 14 Months used at least twice a week with no problems. We don't even watch over ours. It was probably the first early batches which had their problems.

Ours has given no trouble at all, I have it on for a long time too, when I make casseroles. Apparently the problem was people not reading the instructions properly and not leaving enough room around it for ventilation.

I went into great detail researching this when mine went tits up last year. The latest model has been modified and the cause of the smoke was a build up oil around the element which caused it to overheat. I can't say that I had any flames coming out of the fryer but the house was full of acrid smoke. As I said it did put me off buying another but it is such a brilliant piece of kit I just had to have another. I do wash the filter often and wipe the inside of the hinged lid just to minimise the build up of oil

Even whenthis was on Watchdog a few years ago no Acifry would actually catch fire -- they would burn out iside and the heat would cause smoke which people asumed was the Actifry on fire when it wasn't

So far our Actifry has been going well for about 3 years.

I bought the actifry on sunday. It was delivered on Tuesday. Made chips, they were extremely dry. Decided I did not like the actifry and bought a 7in halogen oven, as it would be more versitile. IW were very good, and will collect it on Tuesday.

It's very important to use the right potatos (king edward or maris piper) and dry them throughly. Perhaps you didn't use quite enough oil, I tend to use a little more than the green spoonful. I have found that some cheap potatos don't make such nice chips KE def the best. Also sausages,lamb chops,bacon etc don't need any added oil. I think its the best way of cooking these. If I cook liver (yuk) I just put it in for a couple of minutes after the bacon. OH says its much better than fried or casseroled

I bought the actifry on sunday. It was delivered on Tuesday. Made chips, they were extremely dry. Decided I did not like the actifry and bought a 7in halogen oven, as it would be more versitile. IW were very good, and will collect it on Tuesday.

Hmm, I know what you mean. I'm disappointed in mine. :down: I got it yesterday, and used some oven chips, but they were dry. Today I've just made some roasted veg, and cooked them for over 30 minutes, but the parsnips and carrots weren't cooked properly - although the other veg (onion/mushroom) was, and it was very dry even though I added some more oil half way though cooking. I chopped the veg quite small i.e. one cm slices for the parsnips and carrots. They were nowhere as good as in the Remoska.

Tomorrow I will try chopping my potatoes to make home made chips, if they don't work out it will be going back.

I've never returned anything to Ideal World since they had the premium rate number. Do I have to ring this number to send stuff back?:wonder: And will they pay for the return carriage?

Last edited:
I tried using oven chips (as I had a pile of them left over) with some oil, but they weren't very good at all.

But real potatoes, well dried, were very good, and not a known potato variety either, probably the cheapest in the shop (knowing me, I save the pennies to waste pounds at QVC or IW lol)

Latest posts

Back