Models

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Lottie

Silly Moo
Ii've just tuned into the Ronni Nicole hour to see some rather nice dresses, but the model is 6ft tall. :down:

Less than 1% of women are this tall (that's less than one in 100 women) so WHY use models who are totally unrepresentative of the buying market?

I know the fashion industry like stick thin Kate Moss's everywhere, but come on QVC, you are in a position of power to stop this ridiculous practice.
I'm not buying something unless it's on a model who looks normal. :wonder:

And while I'm having a moan, JF take note: Bolero is pronouced Bow-lair-oh, NOT Boller-row! :doh:

Ii've just tuned into the Ronni Nicole hour to see some rather nice dresses, but the model is 6ft tall. :down:

Less than 1% of women are this tall (that's less than one in 100 women) so WHY use models who are totally unrepresentative of the buying market?

I know the fashion industry like stick thin Kate Moss's everywhere, but come on QVC, you are in a position of power to stop this ridiculous practice.
I'm not buying something unless it's on a model who looks normal. :wonder:

And while I'm having a moan, JF take note: Bolero is pronouced Bow-lair-oh, NOT Boller-row! :doh:

we had this out the other week and a FM who speaks spanish (cant recall who - sorry!) confirmed that JF is pronouncing it correctly.

but what about all these americans going on about "Um-peer" necklines. i can only guess that theyre trying to pronounce it the french way and getting it totally wrong. Stick with the english kids - you sound stoopid.

Hmmm well Torvill and Dean and everyone else has been pronouncing it the first way since they won the ice dancing championships in 1984 so I'm happy to stick with that :grin:

yeah but i think the crux of the discussion was that the title of Ravel's musical piece was a different word - french - which is pronounced as you and T&D say. but the name of the short jacket (as worn by a matador) is spanish and pronounced JF's way.

While the emphasis in Spanish might be on the Boll, there is still an E in there which would not be pronounced as UH which is how JF is pronouncing it, which is why it sounds so ugly when she says it.

It were me spouting about the Spanish and the French pronunciation. And the jackety type bolero comes from the Spanish dance and costume. Bolero, as in the music, is French and has an accent over the e, which I have no idea how to do, which lengthens the err/air bit of the word.

So boll as in doll for both. Air-o for the French and er-o (er has in her) for the jacketty thing.

Can you tell I studied phonetics?? Can ya?? lol

If you ask me, the majority of the "fashion" on QVC today has been a complete load of BOLL.............................................................................................................................................................................eros!!

Well, it looks like they heard some of you! There is a new shorter model on today...

But it has to be said that she does nothing for the fashions that already look tacky in the first place!

At least the taller models make these clothes look better than they are and probably get people to buy them thinking they will look like the models.

LOL Guccibabe I saw her!!
She did look a bit dumpy in that dress, but to be honest, it wasn't her fault.
As you say, if the style is poor, it won't do anyone any favours. :(

You could put it on the most perfect woman in the world and they'd look frumpy. IW have mainly larger models I notice so they appear to have gone the other way! I once tried on a Ronni Nicole dress but I have a couple of fried eggs and am a plus size (ie normal) so looked like a sack of spuds!

Last edited:
:song: You say bol-lair-o, I say booler-o:song:
bol-lair-o, bol-lair-o, booler-o, booler-o
Lets call the whole thing off....:sun::sun::sun::sun::sun:

Good old Fred Astair!

I speak Spanish. A bolero is a guy who cleans your shoes ! It is pronounced bol-air-o. If it were boll-ero it would have an accent over the first o, e.g. bólero, but it doesn't. It's like sombrero.

But I've heard people call the jacket a boll-ero lots of times and remained calm. Advocado however... *finds Valium*

Latest posts

Back