A go at a "constructive" thread

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Anjo

Registered Shopper
well some-one had to go first....................

Communication - in particular poor communication to customers.

Why not a weekly email to customers containing relevant information and concerns. For example this could have been used to warn customers of web site changes and selling changes.

Gems facebook is poor - seemingly no response to customers concerns - it's just a black hole. Much much better use could be made of this facility

Presenters - for me rather to much shrieking for me with inaccurate information being relayed. Can the lady presenters please not reveal so much of their "decollage" and can they lay off the bright red nails please. Presenters who get it right for me - Emma, Matt and Alan...........

Requests - the facility to request items appears to have now disappeared and customers are expected to rely on the goodwill of the presenters.

99p - What is with the 99p. and what is being told "at less than £100" when it's £99.99.

Melee diamonds - hate this and try as I might I can't find anything explaining melee diamonds on the Gems site.

Sales and Clearances - rather to many of these. I would settle for consistent great prices all the time.

Customer Services - Generally very good so when it goes wrong it's VERY bad - I once had a CS person hang up on me!!

Not being able to buy single pieces on the web - I deeply resent this as Gems have the details of more than one of my "cards"

Chat going - and the fact that no interaction with the studio is possible at all now.

No international postage facility

Gem Setting Service - the web layout is JUST AWFUL in pretty much every respect

All that said I have bought some really beautiful pieces from Gems ..................

Larger good quality diamond to be used for accents.
Thicker/heavier solid ring shank no hollowing out.
More higher end jewellery, especially in platinum.

New grading system for diamonds - it's misleading and why go against what everybody understands? Not only does this cause confusion but it appears that it's an attempt to mislead (it may well not be but that's how it appears). This really upsets me. More than anything else GemsTV have done recently.

Loud music - not appreciated. It's not a disco and I like my hearing!

Presenters shouting - really not appreciated. Most people respond when they are given information. If you have to mute the sound, this is quite clearly unsatisfactory. How many threads have there been on this? It never changes and this is something that everybody criticises.

Presenters clothes - presenters should look nice, appropriately dressed (no night club attire) and well groomed. Less make up and clean nails please. A great example of what to wear is currently what Victoria Norris is wearing (Saturday 13th at 16.30) - obviously not for the gents. In the spirit of a constructive thread I won't comment on the accompanying make up.

Treatments of gemstones - why can't this be on the graphics? Then there is absolute clarity. This is done in the US.

Rare - false or inflated claims about the rarity of gemstones must stop. It's really awful. Gems/jewellery will sell themselves if beautiful. There's no need for ridiculous hype.

Accent diamonds - currently these are dire in the majority of pieces. The difference in price between I grade and SI grade diamonds for accents is minimal. If you have to pay £20 more but get good quality people will pay it AND will come back for more. If you sell pieces with yellow/grey/cloudy/dull diamonds they will be returned and you put customers off.

Gold weights - better gold weights generally not skinny shanks. Again, people want jewellery that lasts.

Gold and jewellery comparisons - misleading, ridiculous and makes the presenters look like dodgy car sales people. Why do it? People do their own research and anybody who is savvy enough can drive holes through most of the comparisons (and don't believe them).

Well cut gemstones - please don't sell a dreadfully cut gemstone with the presenter saying how beautifully cut it is! If it's a native cut and the price is comensurate then fine - but don't try to say it's top class/world class.

Website - no decent search facility. The search facility currently is limited.

Returns - last time I bought and returned something I had to wait far too long. Most companies take 1-2 weeks to process refunds. Customers shouldn't have to chase OR wait because there aren't enough people in the warehouse. In all honesty, this has stopped me from buying from GemsTV.

Being open and honest - I really hate when members of GemsTV management come on here and say, please email me about problems. NO. Respond on here if somebody has posted on here. If you've made a mistake, admit it. We don't expect 100% perfection and mistakes are made. To err is human. To admit it is laudable.

Stop branching out - Get one thing right and then move into something else. If you have 4 or 5 broken businesses, you drive people away. I realise this is a company decision and absolutely one that customers have NO right to comment on but the breakdown in customer service really can be linked back to when the companies were expanding. Just my thoughts and I wouldn't expect this comment to be taken on board as it's nothing to do with customers and is more of an observation.

Customer service - You have some really outstanding people working for you and then others who need a giant kick up the bum. Weed out the weak links and re-train them. Customers need to feel they are right - even if they aren't. Good customer service sells items.

Genuine reverse falling auction - it's not and never has been. There's also a cost price. Be honest. If you're not going to drop it any further, say so. TJC do this really well and you absolutely know then if you can afford it or not. It's another part of being open and honest. You gain respect.

Chat facility - NO NO NO NO NO. This was awful. I realise that this is a 50/50 split in feelings but if something divides people that much, it can't be good. However, a facility whereby people could text in to ask questions about on air items (similar to what TJC do) then that's a good thing. Occasionally I want to know measurements but the presenter doesn't mention it and it's not on the details. It would be helpful for that.

STOP THROWING TEDDY OUT OF THE COT - understand that people only criticise when they feel the need to. Do you remember when this part of the forum was a love fest for GemsTV? That's because things were going right. The Company treated customers as customers not as fools. We write on here because we want things to change which means we care. If you can't take criticism then that's a huge issue. If we tell you how we feel (repeatedly - and with small changes that are 100% possible to react to) and then nothing changes, you can't expect us to keep offering help and advice. There comes a point when washing our hair becomes more important.

I'm pretty sure I could go on and on. I used to LOVE GemsTV and have had some absolutely stunning pieces from the company in the past. I WANT to get that love back. I WANT to buy again. Otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time typing this. Please Steve, please listen.

Last edited:
• Notwithstandingn the recent ASA adjudication, please explain to presenters the difference between items being ‘sold out’ and ‘allocated’. Perhaps I’m being pedantic, but this is a bugbear of mine. I believe this issue was raised on ST.com last year and you agreed at the time that presenters should not say items have ‘sold out’ during an auction. You stated that items are ‘allocated’, given that customers may return an item within 30 days, after which time they are then ‘sold’. At the time you promised to address this issue in training.
• Some female presenters should be given guidance on personal grooming. Filthy fingernails, especially with fake tan congealed in the cuticles, tend to put off some customers. Presenters should also be appropriately dressed. Night club attire or that more suited to some late night adult channels is a distraction.
• More factual information about the jewellery would be an improvement (Matt, Barry, Alan and more recently Jim Brooman should be the standard). Telling customers an item is ‘amazing’, ‘pretty’, ‘incredible’ is pointless.
• New grading of diamonds: This is very confusing. Why not revert to the industry standard everyone is familiar with.
• Customer service: This has deteriorated in recent months. As it stands, it’s pot luck whether one gets a CS representative who is helpful. In my recent experience, indifference seems to be the standard.

I could go on …..

Last edited:
Steve, this is an incredibly good example of a very very very misleading statement. Not only is it misleading but it's also factually incorrect and I believe ASA would have a massive issue with this:

Victoria Norris - 17.34 on Saturday 16th April:

Selling item MTFJ86 - said the red diamonds were "only heated" - now Steve, both you and I know how absolutely misleading this is. This is what loses GemsTV ALL credibility.

Last edited:
I would like those selling the jewellery to stop exaggerating how wonderful a piece of jewellery is that they are selling for £2.99. Making strange faces and yelling at me only makes me want to turn to another channel.

For me personally I would like a change in the selling of the jewellery, the presents constantly yelling and shocked faces at the price and quality of jewellery turn me right off. If I feel that the people who are selling me the jewellery are not telling me the truth then I lose all confidence and will not buy.

One example of Gems Presenters OTT delivery: At 18.53 this evening 16/04/11 Victoria Norris was telling us that the marquise and heart cuts are premium cuts and how so much of the stone is lost. What she said is meaningless but gives the impression that the jewellery is so special, this goes on quite a lot from all the presenters.

The ladies have far too much cleavage on show.

The Guys dress code needs to be updated. Jacket is required.

Hands and nails to be kept clean.

So many diamonds look grey and do not sparkle.

I think there should be more information on the TV screen: size of stones, weight of gold.
Internationally recognized diamond colour, cut, clarity and carat weight, these should be on the TV screens. There is plenty of room.

Even the Online Boutique will not give the colour of the diamonds.

I do not like the use of gimmicks as I feel it devalues the product. If it is true that you sell more then I see why you use it.

These are what really annoy me and I hope they change as I would like to listen to the presenters (I watch with the sound turned off on my PC).

Good thread. I agree with a lot of these points. Just a few more things I'd like to add...
* Please get rid of the sound effects (cheering, heartbeats etc). They are annoying.
* If you are going to make claims about your jewellery ( rarity of the gems, for example), then please have some evidence to back it up.
* No more celebrity name dropping (or at least cut down on it). Most people buy jewellery because they like it, not just because someone famous wore something similar. Give the customers the facts about the piece and let them make up their own minds.
* Stop comparing your jewellery to high end designers such as Tiffany etc. Your jewellery is not the same (though that isn't nessesarily a bad thing) and it seems very pretentious to imply otherwise.
* Don't underestimate your old customers. While lots of new customers may give a business a short term boost, in the long run it's the repeat customers who determine the success of that business. Unfortunately, many of the older customers (including many members of this forum) have been put off by these changes. Remember, there is no such thing as expendable customers, especially with the economy the way it is.
* Most importantly, please listen to what the customers have to say, be it good or bad. Don't just dismiss them because you don't like the message. I personally would like to like GemsTV like I did in the past, but it's been very hard recently. We don't want to bully or be be nasty at all. We just want Gems to be the best it can be.

Each time there has been an improvement things seem to have got worse for the customers instead of better.

I really liked the request system.

Communicating with the presenter was brilliant, but contact with anyone in the studio can be really helpful.

Quality control has been aweful. Nobody wants to receive a broken item.

The last time I tried to contact the customer services I was on the phone for ages waiting for a reply.

The chat room could be very annoying but was very entertaining too.

I have lost count of the number of times I have bought an item only to be told later that it is out of stock or can not be found.

The presenters still talk rubbish for too long and over act their surprise etc. I would much rather know more details about what I would buy e.g. gold weight.

I really miss Gems clearance on the web. There was always a bargain.

Tatty packaging or the incorrect packaging is really annoying when buying a present.

These are some of the reasons I no longer buy from Gems TV. I got to the point where it became too much hassle to be bothered.

I used to be such an avid GEMS TV supporter but I jumped ship because:

Packaging is not so good , boxes often bashed and bruised.

Poor finish to mounts and thin hollowed out gold with sharp edges.

Some poor quality GEMS stones

Instead of looking at designs and thinking I would love to buy that , I think yuk 90% of the time.

I have a massive problem with the quality of the diamonds and the grading system.

With the exception of Matt, Alan, Drew , your presenters , (friends or not) let GEMS TV down badly. I am aghast at the inaccuracies they they tell , the pantomime theatrics of the computer having a mind of it's own , GEMS making a loss. rarity etc etc. I could go on but it has all been said before.
GEMS TV presenters are letting the side down. I watched Sarah Coutts on TJC last night , she was funny, INTERESTING, calm and factual about her sales ......go and get her back!

When I think of GEMS TV now I think of some gaudy tasteless 80's American sit com, and the most down market of the three main jewellery shopping channels.

Please read these threads and I suspect we are all upset because loved the old Gems TV and the old Rocks TV made us, the customer feel unique and like we were part of your family business and so we would buy from you again and again and when probably we could least afford it. That is how passionate we all felt about the company.

Lots of excellent and constructive points already made in this thread, but just to highlight some which are my main bugbears:-

Watchabillity
- The muzack, repetitive, over loud and intrusive and sounds as though it is played on 70's Bontempi organ! Naff in one word! Even some of the music in the promo videos is better, so please have something much more melodic and pleasant to hear and subtly low in the background.

- Again am repeating myself, but overly excited and loud and gabbling presentations by some of the ladies is a real turn off.....and they seem to get worse in the Starbuys! Reminds me of Channel 4 Racing when the commentators voice gets louder, higher and faster towards the end of the race.....iykwim!

Item Details
- Rather less focus on constantly reminding us of the price, which we can see clearly on the screen anyway, and more time spent showing and giving full details of each item.....and repeating it as not everyone sees the beginning of each auction. Many times we are given only an overhead view or a side to side view in the lightbox and so often I want a good look at
the profile and the inside of rings, in particular....as I would have in a shop.

Gemstones
- I do think that GemsTV do a better job with their coloured gemstones than with the majority of the Diamond only pieces. Although I love Diamonds, particularly coloured ones, I'm not fond of these massive cluster rings with vast amounts of tiny I grade diamonds as it takes only a few 'dead' ones to spoil the whole effect!

Excellent points made in all posts. Please do something about the diamonds - they really are dire. GemsTv isn't just about us buying, it's entertainment and enjoyment of attractive gems, many of which we don't find on the highstreet... so, nice hands to model the jewellery please (shorter, clean nails) and calm presenting style. Alan and Matt are good examples of this.

Hi Everyone

Firstly can I thank all of you who made a donation to my Marathon run yesterday, together we raised over £7,000 for the National Osteoporosis Society.

Also many thanks to everyone who has agreed o come and see us and discuss ways of further improving our service, we have set two days a side for this, the first being Thursday the 28th of April and the second being Wednesday the 25th of May. We would welcome as many people attending either day as possible. As my assistant Barry is on holiday this week, please email me directly at [email protected], to arrange details.

We do take everyone’s comments very seriously. We are passionate about what we do and Sarah and I and the whole team do take on board other peoples views. As you will imagine there will be some things we can do, some we can try to do and others that unfortunately are not commercially possible.

Whilst I normally would not post on any forum as I am in a position where I feel no matter what I say, I will always be criticised, as I had a free evening last night as I sat and nursed my sore legs from the marathon, I took a look at Shopping Telly and saw the this thread about “constructive criticism”, I printed it out and turned it into an action list for my management team. Below I hope I have addressed most of the points.

Why not a weekly email to customers containing relevant information and concerns. For example this could have been used to warn customers of web site changes and selling changes.

Yes I agree we should use more emails, but we do have to be very careful of sending out emails to all customers, as there are many rules governing the use of email and we can not afford to get black listed, as we need to keep the ability to send out emails to communicate order confirmations, delivery times etc. We were once black listed by one of the ISP’s and for six months, all of our customers who had their email through this ISP could not receive any of our emails. This caused a lot of problems. I will task someone to review our current traffic.

Gems FaceBook is poor

I admit I have never personally ever used Facebook, however Sarah does use it a lot. I do know that our Jewellery Maker page is very popular, but wasn’t aware that we even had a Gems TV page. I will make someone responsible for developing the Gems TV site.

Can Lady presenters not reveal so much of their….
I can’t agree more with this comment. I will email all presenters to make sure they don’t show too much. That said, it is a bit of a fine line, as we do want our female presenters to show, pendants and necklaces up to the neckline, but I couldn’t agree more and on one or two occasions sitting at home at night I have had to call the gallery and ask presenters to change their outfit in their breaks.

Lay off the red nail varnish
Again I totally agree with this point, if the presenters nail varnish is too bright its off putting.

Requests - the facility to request items appears to have now disappeared and customers are expected to rely on the goodwill of the presenters.

We have tried various request methods over the past few years and spent tens of thousands of pounds developing online request formats that directly built show schedules etc. Unfortunately, to-date, requests shows and dropping individual requests into hours have not financially proven viable, therefore currently we do not include them in the TV format. That said, handling requests is always on the agenda and something we continually evaluate new models and ideas.

99p - What is with the 99p. and what is being told "at less than £100" when it's £99.99.

I totally agree, I also find this frustrating and still when presenting myself try to always say £100, when it is £99.99, I will make sure this gets discussed in our next training session. Let me also answer a very old thread about why we introduced it: We introduced the 99p in January, to in a small way counteract the effect of the 2.5% VAT increase. With the tiny margins we work on, the 99p has helped us recover some of the lost revenue (the increase in VAT means that for every £100 we sell, we now only retain £80, whereas before January the 1st, we would of retained £82.50) this had a massive impact on the business.

Melee diamonds - hate this and try as I might I can't find anything explaining melee diamonds on the Gems site.

This is on our website under the learning library “Diamond Grading”. I have decided to follow the lead of several major retailers in the USA who do not use the GIA scale to grade small diamonds. Whilst many people on this forum understand the GIA scale, many of our customers do not. Plus, the GIA scale was never intended for small diamonds, my very good friend who is GIA educated to the very highest level, is furious that retailers try and use the scale for smaller diamonds and it was with his professional help we put together a simple scale, one that is easily understood and is clearer. Plus we have many examples of where customers have had valuations come back where the grader gave a different grade than we previously had stated. Mostly graded higher, but some graded lower and therefore we feel for all of these reasons, that we are doing the right thing by not miss using then GIA scale and by developing our own system. A fuller explanation is on our website.

Sales and Clearances - rather to many of these. I would settle for consistent great prices all the time

Point taken, but commercially the model works well for us. When we took over the company they were virtually always in a sale or clearance mode and they were losing many million of pounds a year. We have turned the company back into profit, retaining many peoples jobs and believe that our current mix of regular weeks and then sales and clearances is well proportioned. We are not on our own with this approach and constantly monitor and measure successful retailers across the globe to get the right balance.

Also, in our regular auctions if an item goes to either a very low margin or a loss, presenters will obviously not choose to put it in their regular schedule. Even though they are not on commission, they do have targets to meet and therefore these items do not get scheduled. When we have a clearance or a sale, there are no targets to meet and therefore Sarah does most of the scheduling for them.

Customer Services - Generally very good so when it goes wrong it's VERY bad - I once had a CS person hang up on me!!

This is awful, please if this ever happens to anyone, please email us so that we can track who it was in the CS team. As you quite rightly say they are generally very good. We spend a huge amount of time and money training our UK based team and we received hundreds of emails and letters each week singing their praises. But occasionally when it does go wrong, we need to know, so we can either retrain or remove those that don’t make the grade.

Not being able to buy single pieces on the web - I deeply resent this as Gems have the details of more than one of my "cards"

We have on our list of tasks the ability to develop a “auto checkout” facility for one of a kind pieces, but it is a very big rewrite of our checkout system and the task is currently behind rewrites of such things as international delivery, multi language, gemcollector website etc.

Chat going - and the fact that no interaction with the studio is possible at all now.

It was a very sad day when we closed chat, but due to legal reasons we had no choice. Within the next 30 days, the ability to post comments either on the website or by text and interact with the studio will be introduced.

No international postage facility

This will be in place before the first of October. Although this may seem a small system change, it is a huge change with us having to look at VAT, import duties and returns facilities for over 80 countries that we intend to launch with.

Gem Setting Service - the web layout is JUST AWFUL in pretty much every respect

Agreed. We are rewriting it as we speak. Barry Kirley has taken over the role as Manager of GemCollector and he is working hard with his team to put this right.

Larger good quality diamond to be used for accents.

Every time we have tried to do bigger accents, we have not made the required margin and therefore commercially do not make many designs with big accents.

Thicker/heavier solid ring shank no hollowing out

We try and get the right product mix, some rings are heavy and some are light in gold. We can not escape the fact that gold has gone from $380 an ounce to $1484 this morning (the highest price its ever been in history) and therefore for every extra gram in a ring, the impact on the finished cost of the item is huge. We constantly review our sales data and try and make all new jewellery designs in line with what we feel the majority of customers will purchase. That said, the mix of product is what we try and achieve. Presenters are always trained to mention the weight of gold in presentations so that we give as much information as possible.

More higher end jewellery, especially in platinum.

I could not agree more with this point. In order to cope with the growth we have had to get the factories to concentrate on the volume lines. The out come has been not enough mix of high end pieces. We now have just licensed another factory to focus on our high end designs and I would hope by the middle of July, to have readdressed the balance. Regarding platinum, we have tried this in the past and it did not sell well. Having said that, with gold being so expensive at the moment and the gap between the two metals being less than it has in the past, we will now commission some more pieces in Platinum.

Loud Music

I agree that often it is way too loud, especially with Gems Extra. I am not sure what the solution is to regulate the level of the music, but I will ask our technical people to evaluate.

Presenters Shouting

I agree, we all get carried away with our excitement at times. Often I watch back my own performances and cringe at how loud I become at times. I will try and address this in future training, but it is an ongoing issues to balance excitement and enthusiasm without coming across to loud or pushy.

Presenters Clothes
My rules for presenters are that they should look smart, but not over the top. I also want them to feel comfortable. For example Nick likes to wear a tie and a jacket, so that’s what he wears. I personally never wear a tie and a jacket as it is not my personality, therefore I just wear a shirt. Same with our female presenters, we ask them to look professional , for example no jeans, but also to be comfortable.

Nails

I totally agree, the condition of nails is crucial when selling jewellery. Most of our team regularly have their nails done professionally, even the guys. I can’t get it done personally, as I don’t have the time and often I end up standing in at the last minute. But I agree, when someone is on their regular shift, more attention needs paying to the condition of the nails. I will address this with the team and see what can be done to improve our overall position.

Treatments of gemstones - why can't this be on the graphics? Then there is absolute clarity. This is done in the US.

We had started doing this with the loose gemstones on our GemCollector website based on treatments disclosed by our suppliers. However, the more we learn about new treatments, the more complicated they become, the more it becomes impossible to detect all treatments, It is often difficult for us to verify if what a supplier is claiming is correct, for example its impossible to tell if Aquamarine has been heat treated, even when buying the rough. There are new treatments being developed all of the time and rarely are they disclosed by miners and gem traders in the industry. This is one of the reasons why I personally sit on the Gemstone Industry Laboratory Conference (GILC) where as an industry we discuss all new treatments and how to best try and detect them. (the last meeting was held in January this year in Arizona and many new treatments were discussed)..

We now feel that it is better to advise customers to assume all gemstones are treated unless told otherwise. We are currently working on a database of “all known treatments” and then on the website when we are auctioning a product, we can list all of the known treatments. Therefore in the mean time we have a full disclosure of the “typical treatments” on our website and run a ticker tape on our TV channel pointing people to our website.

Rare - false or inflated claims about the rarity of gemstones must stop. It's really awful. Gems/jewellery will sell themselves if beautiful. There's no need for ridiculous hype.

By definition, all gemstones are rare, but of course some are more rare than other. I will take it on myself to ensure in training presenters continue fully understand when to push the rarity and when it is not that important. A normal grade Amethyst is of course rare because it is a gemstone, but is not as rare as one that has perfect clarity, tone, hue and saturation. The former really does not need the word rare in the presentation where as the later does is worth highlighting.

Accent diamonds - currently these are dire in the majority of pieces.

Whilst overall we have increase the grade of the diamonds we purchase over the last few months, we do have to purchase the type of grade that offers the best value for the best look for the majority of our customers. We purchase huge quantities of diamonds and try and get the right mix between varying grades and prices. What I refuse to do is to cheat with my studio lighting, however, what I must do is to try and find a better way of taking still photos of diamonds as our pictures never do them justice. I disagree with the comment that in the majority of cases our diamonds are dire and we analyse many of competitors pieces and are confident that we offer some of the best value for diamonds.

Gold and jewellery comparisons - misleading, ridiculous and makes the presenters look like dodgy car sales people. Why do it? People do their own research and anybody who is savvy enough can drive holes through most of the comparisons (and don't believe them).

In last weeks training session with presenters I have instructed them to not make any comparisons.

Well cut gemstones - please don't sell a dreadfully cut gemstone with the presenter saying how beautifully cut it is! If it's a native cut and the price is comensurate then fine - but don't try to say it's top class/world class.

I hire some of the best lapidarists in the world and one of our selling points is the quality of the cut. That said, there will always be one or two pieces that slip through the net and all of our presenters who are well trained in gemstones should be able to know how to focus on a good one. If I ever spot them miss selling a cut, I always pull them up on it, as gemstone cutting is one of my passions.

Website - no decent search facility. The search facility currently is limited.

I agree this is not ideal. We are working hard on our websites, but have limited resources.

Returns - last time I bought and returned something I had to wait far too long. Most companies take 1-2 weeks to process refunds.

In the past this has slipped as far as 20 days, this was due to the merging of two companies and periods of growth that we were not prepared for. We have invested a lot of money in our back end systems and as I write this piece, we are processing returns in less than 48 hours.

Being open and honest - I really hate when members of GemsTV management come on here and say, please email me about problems. NO. Respond on here if somebody has posted on here. If you've made a mistake, admit it. We don't expect 100% perfection and mistakes are made. To err is human. To admit it is laudable.

This one hurts. We are family run business and always try and be honest. We know there is always room for improvement in our business and welcome constructive criticism, hence spending time to respond to this thread. As far as responding on this forum on a regular basis, we do not normally do it and I am not going to change my stance on this. If a customer has an issue, we have many different ways they can get in contact with us and my family and I are always talking on a daily basis to customers. I always try and respond to every email I get, even when I am abroad.

Stop branching out - Get one thing right and then move into something else.

Point taken.

Customer service - You have some really outstanding people working for you and then others who need a giant kick up the bum. Weed out the weak links and re-train them. Customers need to feel they are right - even if they aren't. Good customer service sells items.

I totally agree. Just recently we have changed our training processes and pride our self on trying to offer the very best call centre experience in the UK. It really hurts on the odd occasion when we get a bad apple. That said on a daily basis we receive dozens of emails and letter letting us know that we are getting it right. For everyone that is not positive, it is actioned by one of our managers, who not only tries to resolve the issue, but then sees if the incident could be prevented in the future.

Genuine reverse falling auction - it's not and never has been. There's also a cost price. Be honest.

I have to disagree with this comment. Let me explain what happens. Of course the presenters and producers are given targets to hit, but they are NOT on an individual auction basis. Therefore they decide the final closing price and not management. Its up to them to decide on what to close the auction at and there are many variables. They decide what their reserve price is once they have started the auction. Most auction formats around the world have a reserve price and are still called auctions. With this one I don’t seem to be able to win so I won’t write a whole essay. In the past we called it a game and quite rightly some customers got offended by the terminology. None of our auctions have a fixed price at the beginning of the sale and some close below even the cost of manufacturing, the word “Auction Format” in my opinion is the correct terminology. The reason we often add the word genuine is that some companies claim to be holding an auction, but have targets set before the start of the auction by management, that in my opinion is less of a genuine auction format.

please explain to presenters the difference between items being ‘sold out’ and ‘allocated’.

We are constantly training the presenters, but of course it is hard to change phrases you have been saying for 8 years. I presented last week and even twice found myself saying the “sold” word not “allocated”. It is something that will improve over time.

Selling item MTFJ86 - said the red diamonds were "only heated"

Thanks for bringing this one to our attention. On our system the code was set as heat treated as this in the information that was given by our diamond supplier. Although it is possible to have red diamonds that are natural or heat treated only, they normally tend to be irradiated and heated. I have watched the clip back this morning and I think the point she was trying to make was in reference to the fact that Gems TV used to sell coated red diamonds. I have email the supplier this morning for confirmation. Vicky was therefore not trying to mislead any one, she was only reading the info that was on her screen. If they turn out to be irradiated which is very likely, we will write to all customers who purchased and let them know (this is our standard practice when an error is found post sale). Moving forward, as mentioned on another comment above, I will request presenters not to discuss treatment, rather than to point customers to the typical type of treatments on our website.

Please get rid of the sound effects (cheering, heartbeats etc). They are annoying.

I hate all sound effect too, but when we took over Gems TV they were using hundreds of them, we have cut them back to just one or two. But the counter argument my team make with me, is that we are in the business of entertaining as well as selling and this just adds to the show format. But I do take the comment on board and will relay it to the team once again.

No more celebrity name dropping (or at least cut down on it)

I am with you on this I don’t like it. Although many other people do like to know what celebs are wearing and some presenters will therefore talk about it in presentations and others won’t.

Stop comparing your jewellery to high end designers such as Tiffany etc. Your jewellery is not the same (though that isn't necessarily a bad thing) and it seems very pretentious to imply otherwise.

This is a good point, however, I am always coming back from our workshops in both India and Thailand and meetings with gemstone cutters and saying things to my team like “our supplier XYZ has just cut stones for XYZ brand and now they are cutting for us”. Last week I told the team “in our main workshop in India, they are also now making jewellery for XYZ brand of America, XYZ which is sold in Harrods and XYZ of Italy”. Its important for me to pass on this information to the team and therefore although they should not make direct comparisons, I feel it is not incorrect to share some of this information.

I really miss Gems clearance on the web. There was always a bargain.

Something very similar will be introduced soon.

Tatty packaging or the incorrect packaging is really annoying when buying a present.

This has been a real nightmare for us. After merging the two companies we had lots of packaging suppliers. The rush at Christmas caught us out and for four months we ended up buying what ever packaging we could from UK suppliers, whilst the factories we use caught up. Unfortunately, it takes around four months from opening an order in China to getting the finished boxes delivered in the UK. It took till the 6th of April to get all of our packaging in the warehouse back to the Gems TV branded packaging. We are not of the woods yet though, as I anticipate until we build up our reserves on the odd occasion, one of the shapes or sizes may for a short while run out again.

I hope this answers all of the questions on this thread, obviously I have grouped a few together. Please do feel free to attend one of our discussion groups. Please note though, I won’t however frequently be adding posts or responding to points on this forum, as I still feel that what ever I say, is easily taken the wrong way and would rather answer any emails from customers directly.

Last edited:
"Well cut gemstones - please don't sell a dreadfully cut gemstone with the presenter saying how beautifully cut it is! If it's a native cut and the price is comensurate then fine - but don't try to say it's top class/world class." .... Meeshoo.

This has to be my main criticism ... some presenters are more guilty of doing it than others. It's misleading and it doesn't encourage me to buy. Sadly, not every gemstone can be the "the most beautiful colour" or "the best cut" but it might be all I can afford at the time and that's fine if I'm aware of the facts. And then when I'm told a gemstone is the "best quality" I'll know it's true ... I might not have the pennies to buy the item but that's fine too because it'll give me something to aspire to. Please, just a little more openness and honesty from all presenters.

On a positive note I'm really pleased there are now usually a range of ring sizes to choose from ..... it's saving me a packet on re-sizing. :nod:

(Apologies to Steve ... I hadn't seen your response before posting. Thank you for your full and frank reply.)

Last edited:
Steve you say platinum did not sell well in the past? I remember on Rocks tv when you set a lot of Paraiba and Tanzanite into platinum and it all flew out of the door most pieces sold the second the graphics were loaded, although the prices were ultra low!
All these were also set with large SI and VS diamonds and the feedback here on the forum was excellent people were over the moon with their purchases.

I only have two real issues with Gems at the moment.
1. The main one is that the presenters very rarely give full information about the pieces. Facts I mean, not that they love it or that the price is "gasp - just wow!!!" Necklace and bracelet lengths and widths, in a multi stone piece the size of each individual stone, weight and length for earrings, the size of the head of a ring etc. Far too often I just hear constant screeching about the price and the names of purchasers. I actually will make my own mind up about whether it's a good price or not, I don't need £49.99 bellowed and screeched at me over and over for however long till they move on. And I really don't care who has bought it. Just tell me some facts please!
2. I'm afraid that (other than personal circumstances) the real reason I'm not buying much at the moment is that the jewellery just doesn't have the wow factor early Rocks TV designs had. I'm actually finding it all rather samey. My megashopping of the past was influenced not just by great prices and fab gemstones, it was mostly about brilliant design. My first ever purchase from Coloured Rocks (yes, even before Rocks TV!) was a pretty silver peacock pearl necklace. The silver design was so pretty, and the pearls were set like little bubbles cascading. And I went on to buy dozens more necklaces from Rocks. Including loads more peacock pearl silver necklaces - but every one was unique and very different from the last. I just feel that the design team now would put those pearls on a plain string, and even if I liked that style, I'd only ever need one! I adore the pieces I bought in the past, but more recent purchases just don't have the same design wow factor.
To sidestep into my Gems TV buying days, I almost always bought from the online rising price auctions. They didn't start from 0, but from a reserve price, and that felt honest. You put in your bid and got it or didn't - and the auctions were there about a day in advance of time to allow plenty of time for bidding, hundreds of them every day. It took all the random factor out of your timing and removed the need to watch the channel constantly in the vague hope that something of your style and price range would pop up.

Thank you Pearly Queen,

You have written exactly what I have been thinking .

Couldn't have said it better myself.

This is my first post and I would like to add my response to the ongoing comments regarding Gems jewellery.

Steve gave a very long and comprehensive reply, which I found very informative, as he obviously read every previous comment and answered them fully.

Since the beginning of Gems I have purchased many items, mainly rings, and have some much loved items in my collection. I appreciate the cost of gold has almost quadrupled in recent times, but had to return one ring a couple of months ago, because of the thinness of the mount, and as other contributers have mentioned, can you please always state the gold weight in rings, so that if I want to buy a ring, I have an idea of the gold weight before making my purchase as I really don't like having to return items, paying return postage, etc.

Also I like simple settings, can we please just have nice stones, in a plain setting without accent diamonds, I think the smallness of these diamonds cheapens the ring setting.

Would it be possible to make round stud earrings say .25ct to .40ct (in each ear) without any accent stones, just one coloured stone, beit sapphire, topaz or quartz. Then whatever the style of the ring or pendant I wear a plain stud would match.

I purchased three gemstone bangles last year from Rocks and wear them lots, can we please have some more.

Regarding nails, I have nail extensions myself, and I know how quickly my nails grow, so please presenters visit your nail technicians more often, I do not like to see overlong regrowth.

Finally I would like to say I like Scott, he "sold" me my favourite Gems ring, so maybe I am biased. I agree Alan, Matt, Barry, Angeline, Rod and Lyn, are always watchable, sorry to say Adina is my least favourite.

I love Adina!

Looking forward to her return from maternity leave, she is so bubbly :eek:)

She and Lynn are my favourite presenters, I also love to watch Lucy but I only ever see on Jewellery Maker. That said, she seems to really enjoy being on that channel and has loads of enthusiasm for the kits.

Inge xx

Hey Flower! Welcome to the forums!:mysmilie_499:

I like your idea about plain studs and rings. I know there are plenty of people out there who like their jewellery simple.

Hi Flower and Gizzy the request for plain stud earrings and solitair rings without fiddly accents goes back a couple of years or more when we could chat in the old chat room people asked all the time for this but do they listen apparently not or maybe now they might as they are trying to find out what we want because they need the old customers back .

Latest posts

Back