Smell of skincare products.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

China Girl

Registered Shopper
Are you put off products just because you don't like the smell of them? no matter how good a product is I can't use it if I can't stand the smell.Most on here seem to like hydra floral but I find it nauseating so can't use it, also Liz Earle skin repair and hope in a jar by Philosophy.I used to like EL resilience lift until they changed it now I can't use it.Is it just me who is so sensitive to fragrances or do others feel the same? whenever a new skincare range is launched on qvc my first thought is what does it smell like.

Yes. Cannot stand the smell of Liz Earle Skin Repair.
Origins and the orange fragrance from Night A Mins. I hate anything which smells of orange. I do sniff skincare before I buy incase it does smell weird(well to me), and if I don't like will not buy or use.

I really don't like the smell of Philosophy's Hope in A Jar either. It's a really good moisturiser but I just can't use it as the smell gives me a headache.

I can't stand the smell of any of the Gale Hayman skincare (not that they've sold a lot of that recently), but it just smells kind of "off" to me!

There's a fishy whiff about Elemis Quartz Lift serum but it does eventually fade. I've read reviews on Liz Earle's Superskin moisturiser that say it's fishy. Never used it so can't give an opinion. I've heard her say "there is no smell" in a sort of arsey way as if she was reacting to the fishy reviews.

You're right China Girl. I use most of the Elemis range but I hate (with a passion) the smell of Tri-Enzyme facial wash!

I only use skin care products if I love the smell since I don't really believe any of the hype surrounding most of them! LE superskin moisturiser smells like I'm spreading lard on my face. I managed to finish a pot of it by stirring in some essential oils that took my fancy.
So my credit card comes out for the stuff that smells good.

The smell of LE Skin Repair takes me straight back to Sunday School; but not in a good way! On me it smells like the weird floor polish they used at the church hall I went to when I was about 6 yrs old....combined with mothballs, dusty hymnals, slightly decaying flowers and old ladies! The smell never fades until I wash it off. I made the mistake of trying it (years ago) and going to work, a couple of colleagues asked what that smell was and once invited to whiff my face they confirmed that I probably shouldn't use it again. I look at the ingredient list and can't see why this should happen as I've comfortably used other products with the main ingreejunts in SR; they must just morph into floor polish when used in combination on my face?

I tested LE superskin body cream for the Beauty Bible and gave it a v low score as I couldn't keep it on my body long enough for it to have any effect; it smelled absolutely vile. (Liz'll be sending the Earley Girlies 'round to duff me up! :sweat:)

For years I couldn't wear Elemis ProCollagen Marine Cream as it brought on migraines but I can now use it about 75% of the time which is great as it suits my skin.

Babyish smells like Tova .calm, L'Occitane shea body lotion and Elemis Milk Bath don't suit me either; if I sleep with these on my skin I'll wake up with a migraine. (love the smell of babies though :happy:)

Jude xx

The smell of LE Skin Repair takes me straight back to Sunday School; but not in a good way! On me it smells like the weird floor polish they used at the church hall I went to when I was about 6 yrs old....combined with mothballs, dusty hymnals, slightly decaying flowers and old ladies! The smell never fades until I wash it off.

OMG that is so true! I attended a Catholic boarding school for girls, and when I first used this it reminded me of morning assembly in the chapel. :handshake:

I cannot bear the smell of Prolagene gel. Ahem.

OMG that is so true! I attended a Catholic boarding school for girls, and when I first used this it reminded me of morning assembly in the chapel. :handshake:

I cannot bear the smell of Prolagene gel. Ahem.

I have had a particularly bad experience with Prolagene gel; I have used it before ok and the smell is a bit industrial but that's fine I can live with that. However this smelt disgusting and I can't say what like (just take my word for it something not nice). I had shower to wash the smell off.

It was part of a TSV which has been in the cupboard a few weeks so I'm hoping it was just the first bit near the spout which may have gone off and the rest is ok because I've never had a problem before.

Better not write a review; that one would definitely get rejected!

I have had a particularly bad experience with Prolagene gel; I have used it before ok and the smell is a bit industrial but that's fine I can live with that. However this smelt disgusting and I can't say what like (just take my word for it something not nice). I had shower to wash the smell off.

It was part of a TSV which has been in the cupboard a few weeks so I'm hoping it was just the first bit near the spout which may have gone off and the rest is ok because I've never had a problem before.

Better not write a review; that one would definitely get rejected!

Tee hee there was a thread on here ages ago about the ahem questionable smell of prolagene gel. Phewee its awful and quite embarrassing if anyone can smell it on you, they'd wonder what you had been up to!

OK I like the smell of LE skin repair but as a moisturiser it doesn't like me, I love non-fragranced things as my skin won't tolerate fragrance and very few essential oils so things like hydra floral are a big no for me also pro-collagen marine cream and many more, I have (a long time ago) tried gatineau but they seem to go for those fake ozonic smells whihch I can't use either and Ark skincare caused a terrible reaction when I tried that. If my skin doesn't react to the fragrance I think I'd be sick.

I can't stand the superskin body cream smell or superskin concentrate far too potent.

I love the smell of l'occitane shea butter hand cream and I like elemis milk bath. I love the smell of Liz Earle's energising range too and am fine with things like that on my body just nowhere near my face or neck.

I can only use two fragrances without making my chest super wheezy too, it used to be three but alas one of my favourites caused some major chest wheezing last time I used it so it is no more.

For me creams like LE superskin moisturiser are a boon, its quite rich so I have to be careful not to use too much in case I break out but it doesn't have added fragrance or essential oils. The reviews on the smell from chip fat to fish to putty are interesting and I've had different tubs some smelling more than others but I can't use something because I like the smell sadly.

Why do they have to make some skin products smell so vile? I really can't understand it.
I hate the smell of most Liz Earle creams & just can't use them. Her skin tonic smells lovely so why not make them smell similar?
I used to use Clarins Extra Firming range regularly till they "improved" the formula a couple of years ago & now it smells horrible so haven't bought it since. Don't like Gatineau either because of the smell.

Cheaper ranges, like Simple, manage to avoid this problem so I really can't understand the marketing philosophy of some of the so called upmarket ranges.

I rediscovered a sample of Origins organic moisturiser one morning and thought I'd give it a go. I spread a generous dollop onto my face and was "hit" with an overpowering smell of cinnamon. It was as if I'd stuck some cinnamon sticks up my nose! Vile!!

Like many posters I choose my skincare by smell. I love Nivea sun lotions as they remind me of past holidays abroad. So I can sit in my little garden and close my eyes thinking I'm lying on a beach.

Tee hee there was a thread on here ages ago about the ahem questionable smell of prolagene gel. Phewee its awful and quite embarrassing if anyone can smell it on you, they'd wonder what you had been up to!

OK I like the smell of LE skin repair but as a moisturiser it doesn't like me, I love non-fragranced things as my skin won't tolerate fragrance and very few essential oils so things like hydra floral are a big no for me also pro-collagen marine cream and many more, I have (a long time ago) tried gatineau but they seem to go for those fake ozonic smells whihch I can't use either and Ark skincare caused a terrible reaction when I tried that. If my skin doesn't react to the fragrance I think I'd be sick.

I can't stand the superskin body cream smell or superskin concentrate far too potent.

I love the smell of l'occitane shea butter hand cream and I like elemis milk bath. I love the smell of Liz Earle's energising range too and am fine with things like that on my body just nowhere near my face or neck.

I can only use two fragrances without making my chest super wheezy too, it used to be three but alas one of my favourites caused some major chest wheezing last time I used it so it is no more.

For me creams like LE superskin moisturiser are a boon, its quite rich so I have to be careful not to use too much in case I break out but it doesn't have added fragrance or essential oils. The reviews on the smell from chip fat to fish to putty are interesting and I've had different tubs some smelling more than others but I can't use something because I like the smell sadly.

Prolagene gel - exactly! :blush: I've had a couple of tubes of the stuff and never noticed it before. I'm wondering if it's reacting to my body lotion as I'm using Elemis at the moment but usually use Decleor. I've had problems with Elemis ginger and lime lotion in the past as it smelt like tomato soup on me so had to give it to my hubby where is just smells like a nice aftershave on him.

On the whole I like the smell of Elemis face creams etc, Decleor and Gainteau ok and love L'Occitance citrus and verbena ranges but the flowery ones are no good for me; if the smell is too pungent it gives me a headache.

Elemis milk bath smells like granny talc to me and i cant stand Gatineau either! Never really liked the smells of the Molton Brown products either excet Naran Ji (?)

I had a small tube of SBC Collagen Gel and it reminded me of how grannies smell if you know what I mean. Not a nasty smell , just not what I need to smell of at my age!!!

I love L'Occitane hand creams, and last year bought a set of mini sizes. The original and cherry blossom are fine but the honey one makes me I've got honey on my hands and I feel I need to wash it off.

The smell of products makes a big difference to me. I bought a set of four Ojon hair products from QVC . I dislike , but can tolerate the smell of the shampoo , conditioner & the pre-cleansing treatment ( which smells like chocolate to me !).
However the hairspray smells really awful , so I'm using it up at the swimming baths after drying my hair.
Several people have remarked on the 'lovely smell' which I think is mega YUK !!! It must be a very personal thing.

Latest posts

Back