Most trusted beauty aids

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Pond's Cold Cream is meant to remove makeup, its not an anti aging cream.

Oh and its a total B*gger to get it to come off. It was used to remove stage makeup in the old days.

Vasaline(sp) smells to high heaven after you had it for a while.

As someone with roseaca I wouldn't even think of using most of this stuff near my face. Well only if I want an outbreak of acne spots and a very angry red rash.

Vaseline is a mixture of mineral oils, paraffin and microcrystalline waxes. Mineral oils are extremely addictive and actually dry out your lips, meaning you need to apply more and more. Paraffin wax is used for heating and making candles and microcrystalline waxes are used to make tyres! Would you really want to apply that to your lips or face?!?! I know I wouldn't. :sweat:

Way too scented for me to use

My Gran always used Ponds Cold Cream and I think used it since her late teens.
I think it was a case of habit. The cosmetics available in 30s was a bit limited!

Its just like wiping your face with highly scented lard.

I have to say I have fallen in love with the organic natural range A'kin.
I am going all green now. I am trying to limit the nasty chemicals our
skins come in contact with everyday.
If I find a decent quality organic make up range then I will use that too.

Thumbs up for the Neutrogena hand cream. I've used that since my teens! : )

This has "survey done by a purveyor of cheap and cheerful toiletries and press release printed almost verbatim by the DM" written all over it.

"Four in ten women over 50 told a survey that some of their most trusted beauty essentials cost less than £5."

They were asked what they used that cost less than a fiver. Six out of ten didn't use anything that cost under a fiver by the look of it.

I'm 41 and haven't used any of those in adulthood - except Vaseline occasionally when I dye my hair. (I usually don't bother.) I would imagine that more than 50% of households would have Vaseline lurking somewhere.

Hubby is 53 and uses Neutrogena hand cream, but the Canadian one.

My mother (65) has a very minimalist beauty routine, and feels guilty spending money on herself, but she doesn't use any of those products.

My bargain hunting 16 year old daughter doesn't use any of them either, but my 80 year old mother in law does use a few of them however. (the Astral, the Neutrogena and the Vaseline.)

I am suspicious of surveys like this. Usually they end up very lowest common denominator, unless they are guided surveys like the Times Beauty Survey in which case their sponsors tend to do well. :wink:

I used Pond's Cold Cream to remove stage make-up. It did its' job but the added bonus was beautiful hands and long, strong nails.
Best wishes from Springflower.

If the survey was done by a PR agency they work arse about face. What results do we want? OK what questions do we ask to best get those results? Ooo we have a survey.

I can't come to terms with buying any QVC beauty products ! My problem , apart from the cost , is that everything is ' the best thing that ever was ' so I don't believe any of it.
My favourite low cost beauty item is from Aldi . I find the Lacura anti-ageing Multi-Intensive serum absolutely great . It costs about £3-45 for 50mls , feels lovely on the skin and smells nice.
No , I don't work for Aldi !!!

I've just started to use Aldi's Lacura Hydro-urea hand cream, Have found it works better than certain expensive french brands Qvc sell xx

Now many years ago, when I was 12 and first started using moisturer it was a Pond's. They did do moisturisers, I remember my aunt used the Dry Skin one. The one I used was lemon in colour. Oh and Anne French cleanser. Then moved on to Bonne Belle which could stripe paint off walls.

Now many years ago, when I was 12 and first started using moisturer it was a Pond's. They did do moisturisers, I remember my aunt used the Dry Skin one. The one I used was lemon in colour. Oh and Anne French cleanser. Then moved on to Bonne Belle which could stripe paint off walls.

My Grama used that one, she washed her face in Fairy Household soap (the one you used for scrubbing your front step with :tongue:) then slathered on that, dusting of Rimmel Powder and lipstick and off she went.

Anne French cleanser, I can smell that now...used that regularly in my teens...

for the last 6 years i have been using natural lip balms/salves/shea butter at great expense.
i forgot to pack my fancy stuff one day and was forced to use the pink vaseline in a tin.
lasts practically all day and my lips are mush softer.
vaseline based products are used by dermatologists as most people can use this without allegies.

Hijacking this thread and taking it down memory lane, what was that peach cleanser and toner?? It wasn't Aapri. At least I don't think it was. There was a peach one and a lemon one. We're talking late 70s/early 80s.

I used the Anne French cleanser to, it gave me mega break outs:blush: but I thought it smelt lovely so must be good for my skin:blush:

I can see that peach cleanser right now tinkerbelle can't remember for the life of me what it was called though:happy:

Oh this has brought back memories! I too can now smell Anne French! I used to alternate that with Johnson's baby lotion. I was lucky to have good skin, no spots-still lucky now really. My favourite Makeup range was Mary Quant-I worked in a chemist and the reps used to give me testers lol. I still have one of the nail polishes upstairs, kept it because I loved the design with the silver flower on. I also loved miners. Almay was a huge seller where I worked as well but I considered that expensive and there was little choice in colours. Happy days!

I think the lemon cleanser was called delph,miners make up brings back a memory,I was wearing a new miners foundation when I was a teenager and got caught in the rain one day,by the time I reached home it was running off my face and all down the front of my coat,imagine what I looked like!

I think the lemon cleanser was called delph,miners make up brings back a memory,I was wearing a new miners foundation when I was a teenager and got caught in the rain one day,by the time I reached home it was running off my face and all down the front of my coat,imagine what I looked like!

Ooo now I think it was Delph!!

Oh I used Delph! And yes it did smell of lemon. Think it was gentler than Anne French(I used the Anne French lemon shampoo for blond hair), because the cotton wool pad was black after use you thought it must be brilliant.:sweat: This was Anne French by the way.

Jackie meantioned Bonne Belle stuff so I moved to that.

We used Lifebouy soap and it was not the fancy one either but the dark red one!!!! My face was washed with it for years. I was lucky and did not really get spots just the odd one on my chin at that time of the month.

Latest posts

Back