Rubbish spouted by so-called "experts"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
I often hear totally untrue things spouted by the so-called experts (mainly in technology) who are on the show because they supposedly know what they are talking about.

In the last day or so there was a fattish man selling the TSV 3D PC/TV. Every time I saw the presentation, he said that 3D TV was much better than 3D cinema because objects seemed to come out of the screen towards you, as well as appearing to be 3D behind the screen.

He said cinema 3D only showed 3D appearing to be behind the screen, not coming out of it.

Anyone who has actually seen cinema 3D will know that this is completely untrue.

Have you heard any untruths from "experts"?

I often hear totally untrue things spouted by the so-called experts (mainly in technology) who are on the show because they supposedly know what they are talking about.

In the last day or so there was a fattish man selling the TSV 3D PC/TV. Every time I saw the presentation, he said that 3D TV was much better than 3D cinema because objects seemed to come out of the screen towards you, as well as appearing to be 3D behind the screen.

He said cinema 3D only showed 3D appearing to be behind the screen, not coming out of it.

Anyone who has actually seen cinema 3D will know that this is completely untrue.

Wot??? On QVC??? Stratobuddy you go wash your mouth out with carbolic!!!:devil:

I remember fondly the computer shows of the past. They were hilarious for their "truths". Have to say though, Paul Lavers might not have understood the rubbish he was spouting but he was entertaining.

How Tim ever used to sit through "Buy Norton AV it's the best" without keeling over, I'll never know.

I get a bit sick of hearing its "only available at QVC" when most of it is in my local TK Maxx.............

half the stuff that comes out of the beauty guests' mouths is nonsense, all expressed in pseudo scientific language to try to fool us into thinking it will work miracles. If all this stuff worked then 50 year old women would be walking around looking 20. They were spouting some fantasy about collagen stimulus on the Gautineau (sp!!) last night. It plays on fears of ageing and being thought of as unattractive, I am not immune from this but there must be a healthier way to deal with it than spending a small fortune on products that may be pleasant to use but cannot stop the clock.

Two classics on the tanzanite hour:

... Princess Diana's ring was from Gerard's jewellers. Erm no that would be Garrards.

... platinum is heavier ounce per ounce than white gold. How does that work then?? An ounce is an ounce is an ounce isn't it??

half the stuff that comes out of the beauty guests' mouths is nonsense, all expressed in pseudo scientific language to try to fool us into thinking it will work miracles. If all this stuff worked then 50 year old women would be walking around looking 20. They were spouting some fantasy about collagen stimulus on the Gautineau (sp!!) last night. It plays on fears of ageing and being thought of as unattractive, I am not immune from this but there must be a healthier way to deal with it than spending a small fortune on products that may be pleasant to use but cannot stop the clock.

Andrew and Michaela from Gatineau are never going to fool me again! They sound so convincing and I fell for it. Needless to say, the eye cream, moisturiser, throat gel had no effect on my skin whatsoever. Expensive lesson learnt. I suppose they must work for some people, if you read the reviews, but not for me. Also Fiona from Decleor convinced me to leave C & P after 10 years and try the new 'wonder' cleanser. This does have rave reviews, but all it did was dry my skin out. I am back with C & P. Oh, I also bought Gatineau Defi Lift mask, which was not cheap. My face looked exactly the same after.

... platinum is heavier ounce per ounce than white gold. How does that work then?? An ounce is an ounce is an ounce isn't it??

Maybe they meant something like platinum is a very dense material and therefore much heavier than white gold. For example, a man's diamond wedding band made from platinum will be about 1/3 heavier than one made from 18kt white gold.

They probably needed to be clearer in ther explanation.

I did go and see Toy Story 3d at the pictures and all it seemed to be was depth which is what Nick Alsbury was saying. I watched Tangled 3d at the cinema at the 3d was better than Toy Story but watching it on a 3d tv at home on blu ray the 3d does seem much more than I remember at the pictures and far more things seem to come out of the screen, so in my case I would agree with him.

Maybe they meant something like platinum is a very dense material and therefore much heavier than white gold. For example, a man's diamond wedding band made from platinum will be about 1/3 heavier than one made from 18kt white gold.

They probably needed to be clearer in ther explanation.

Absolutely. Platinum is heavier than white gold but 2 ounces of platinum isn't going to heavier. It was a silly mistake really rather than anything misleading.

Richard Jackson........Nuff said :confused::headbang:
Grrrrrrrrrr..................

Good old Lulu telling us that her neck cream melts away the excess fat under your chin???

To quote Jill Franks, "HELLLLLOOOO"!!!

Good old Lulu telling us that her neck cream melts away the excess fat under your chin???

To quote Jill Franks, "HELLLLLOOOO"!!!

I did go and see Toy Story 3d at the pictures and all it seemed to be was depth which is what Nick Alsbury was saying. I watched Tangled 3d at the cinema at the 3d was better than Toy Story but watching it on a 3d tv at home on blu ray the 3d does seem much more than I remember at the pictures and far more things seem to come out of the screen, so in my case I would agree with him.

I have been watching 3D at the cinema for as long as I can remember (whenever it appeared, which used to rare). The films varied in their 3D effects, but I remember sitting in the middle of a cinema when a waiter thrust his arm out of the screen holding a tray of drinks, and EVERYONE in the audience put their hand out to take one (wherever they were sitting, the tray appeared to be just in front of them).

Last weekend when Lee Hohbein was selling the Acer Aspire Z5763 he said you could copy a TV program onto a DVD disc. I don't doubt that to be the case.
However he went on to say......

"You can't do it with a Sky Box, it's very difficult to get the content off, you just have to delete the old stuff. I've been trying for ages to find a proper way,it is very difficult."

Well the truth is - every Sky box has at least one Scart socket on the back labelled so that you can plug it into a TV. Plug that instead into a DVD recorder and record any of the content of the Sky box to a DVD. You can watch it while you are copying. Sky even have an on screen button labelled "COPY". You can select as many programs as you wish, click the copy button on each one and it will give you the time required to record them and do it automatically.

If he's such an expert how can he not know that or was he just slipping in a porkie to make the Acer appear to have some unique feature?

Not the first time he has overegged the pudding!

Shaduf

Latest posts

Back