Purchase Prevention!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

C

Ciociaria

Guest Shopper
Sometimes I think of little ways to put me off my QVC habit and to make myself disgusted (interestingly, it never seems to work for long!). In an effort to stop myself from ordering the Decleor TSV, I tried to imagine what my front garden would look like if the postie re-delivered everything I've ever ordered and just left it there. I really don't think I could get in my front door. In fact, I could probably build an extension out of all those bliddy boxes. So, I was horrified for a second! Anyone else come up with daft ideas to put you off spending?

QVC are very good at subliminally selling 'lifestyle' with all their little 'break-clips'...I then look at the reality of my life, I am not a 6' size 8, 20 year old living in a gorgeous, Georgian townhouse with a limitless income...I am a working class, 51 year old, size 14, living in an average house, on an average wage, in an average town and buying what-ever-product they're promoting will not change that. I try and see through the hype...works for me everytime.

Although when I see a nice Yankee Candle set, Lola Rose necklace or NN duvet set on easy pay I do find it hard to resist.

QVC are very good at subliminally selling 'lifestyle' with all their little 'break-clips'...I then look at the reality of my life, I am not a 6' size 8, 20 year old living in a gorgeous, Georgian townhouse with a limitless income...I am a working class, 51 year old, size 14, living in an average house, on an average wage, in an average town and buying what-ever-product they're promoting will not change that. I try and see through the hype...works for me everytime.

Although when I see a nice Yankee Candle set, Lola Rose necklace or NN duvet set on easy pay I do find it hard to resist.

I agree completely. Although my average M&S and TK Maxx wardrobe is a million times better than QVC's 'designer' fashion offerings.

do I really NEED this item, or would my bank balance look better with the money left in? It's been working for me!

My 100% foolproof prevention? Most days I just don't watch the channel so the temptation to buy isn't there.........:wink:

I just tell myself I could find it cheaper on the net and will look later when I've got more time. More often than not I forget, so that says it all really.

Purchase prevention

I try to picture watching all the shopping channels at the same time, all of them frantically trying to get you to spend your money with them.

I have taken to sky+ing any programs I think I want to watch and then watch It back at 30+ so missing out on all the sales pitch and hard sell, If I see something I like I then check the web for prices count to 10 and if I still want/need it then I buy from the web site. By the time I have done all this I usually have lost the will to live yet alone buying yet more stuff I don't need.

Customer sent me a list of all my purchases since January 2007 which included the total amount of money I'd spent with them :mysmilie_466:. That cured me instantly!! I now only buy re-orders (just 3 items) with the exception of possibly the GTech rechargeable hedge trimmer which I'm umming and ahhing aboout at the moment.

I imagine suddenly dying and my family sorting through all my posssions and ceasing to grieve when they come across my stash of half used products, unopened products,and unworn jewellery!!! they turn to each other with looks of puzzlement and faint disgust on their faces and ask "why oh why did she buy all this tat?".

Latest posts

Back