Well I've been and gone and done it!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

lilylurknomore

Registered Shopper
After I said I wouldn't order any more plants from QVC, I've ordered the TSV strawberry plants! Oh well!! :sweat:

If I don't have as many strawberries as RJ said I will, I will be asking for my money back!!

What he's failed to mention though is, how do I stop the birds eating them all? :wonder:

Thats the reason I've not bought them! My garden is a wildlife haven - and they'd be gone before I knew it!

:giggle:bought the 9 lilly bulbs on 4 easy pays. by the time the easy pays are up all 9 should be flowering lol!

Birds will go for the fruit but keeping them well fed elsewhere is a good idea and if you're really worried use netting or fleece to cover them.

Never known birds go tomatoes.

I have an allotment and am a farmer's daughter so I'm happily green fingered.

I grow my strawberries in grow bags in the greenhouse - that keeps the birds off them. You only need 3 or 4 plants in one grow bag then take runners off them during the year and pop them into another grow bag the next year. I now have about 5 grow bags and get rid of the oldest each year. I have loads of strawberries and because they are in the greenhouse they come very early too.

Birds will go for the fruit but keeping them well fed elsewhere is a good idea and if you're really worried use netting or fleece to cover them.
Never known birds go tomatoes.

I have an allotment and am a farmer's daughter so I'm happily green fingered.

Thanks for that, I think I'll need netting as we get quite a lot of birds in the garden, although I feed them bird seed. SO as you're an expert, if I get netting do I just put that on at night or do I grow them through the netting? Don't they need as much sun as possible? Thank you.

Thanks for that, I think I'll need netting as we get quite a lot of birds in the garden, although I feed them bird seed. SO as you're an expert, if I get netting do I just put that on at night or do I grow them through the netting? Don't they need as much sun as possible? Thank you.

Wait until you can see green strawberries then drape the netting over the fruit and secure it over the basket or tub with stakes or ties. The netting you buy at the garden centre is fairly fine and won't block the sunlight. You need to keep the netting on until the fruit is ripe and ready to pick. The theory is that the birds can't get the fruit through the netting. The netting shouldn't too tight or too loose. It's there to protect your precious strawberries.

And just one other thing you should feed the plants every week once the flowers start to get the best chance of crops. Tomato plant food is perfect.

Good luck!!

Wait until you can see green strawberries then drape the netting over the fruit and secure it over the basket or tub with stakes or ties. The netting you buy at the garden centre is fairly fine and won't block the sunlight. You need to keep the netting on until the fruit is ripe and ready to pick. The theory is that the birds can't get the fruit through the netting. The netting shouldn't too tight or too loose. It's there to protect your precious strawberries.

And just one other thing you should feed the plants every week once the flowers start to get the best chance of crops. Tomato plant food is perfect.

Good luck!!

Excellent. Thanks for your help. :happy:

Latest posts

Back