Lock and Lock...a bit of a problem

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Calvin

Registered Shopper
I have a ton of Lock and Lock boxes, (like many on here, I suspect :blush:) but I've noticed that they are retaining the smell and colour of the food I'm storing in them after washing. Most recently, I've had one with an orange tinge after freezing Chilli con Carne and one that smells of chicken stock. I don't have a dishwasher, instead I scrub them in very hot water and Fairy Liquid. Has this happened to anyone else, and have you any suggestions as to how I can get them clean please?

Hi Calvin. I've had this issue with Lock n Lock, I batch cook spaghetti sauce and it has stained my containers too. It has also retained the smell of garlic and onions despite scrupulous washing in hot water and Fairy liquid (I don't have a dishwasher either). One thought might be to try something acidic to cut through the colour/smell - diluted lemon juice or white wine vinegar? Leave it to soak then wash as normal? I wonder if that might help!

I have the same problem too. In fact, I have some containers I only use for chilli, bolognese sauce, etc as they are so discoloured now, I wouldn't like to use them for anything else. ( I'm another one without a dishwasher and using Fairy Liquid!)

I have a dishwasher and have found that this is the only way to get the staining out you could get some cheapish dishwasher detergent and try soaking them. Dishwasher detergent is much "stronger" than fairy or other liquids and is great for removing all sorts of things even when not actually used in dishwashers. Burnt pans come up a dream, stained teacups come really clean so I guess you could try putting some hot water in the lock and lock and dissolving some dishwasher detergent in it.

Dishwasher detergent has lots of uses it is great for cleaning paintwork and sprinkling some in the toilet leaving it for a few minutes then using a toilet brush to scrub around brings it up really well. Just a word of caution though always use gloves if you are using it for cleaning as it is quite corrosive

I have a ton of Lock and Lock boxes, (like many on here, I suspect :blush:) but I've noticed that they are retaining the smell and colour of the food I'm storing in them after washing. Most recently, I've had one with an orange tinge after freezing Chilli con Carne and one that smells of chicken stock. I don't have a dishwasher, instead I scrub them in very hot water and Fairy Liquid. Has this happened to anyone else, and have you any suggestions as to how I can get them clean please?

Hi Calvin. I've had this issue with Lock n Lock, I batch cook spaghetti sauce and it has stained my containers too. It has also retained the smell of garlic and onions despite scrupulous washing in hot water and Fairy liquid (I don't have a dishwasher either). One thought might be to try something acidic to cut through the colour/smell - diluted lemon juice or white wine vinegar? Leave it to soak then wash as normal? I wonder if that might help!

I have the same problem too. In fact, I have some containers I only use for chilli, bolognese sauce, etc as they are so discoloured now, I wouldn't like to use them for anything else. ( I'm another one without a dishwasher and using Fairy Liquid!)

We had a dishwashed but we don't put Lock & Lock in it, we always wash them by hand.

I have a dishwasher and have found the orange tinge but not the smell have kept washing said items but to no avail its still there , I don't think its unique to this brand as its happened with other makes.

Try soaking them in Milton - it has worked on some of my plastics to remove the smells.

Bicarbonate of soda can be used to get rid of the smells at least. Not sure if it'll deal with the colour. Dissolve a little in hot water and leave to soak for a while. I prefer that to using harsh chemicals and fairy liquid gives me dermatitis!

Thanks for the tip re cheap dishwashing detergent. I've got quite a bit, useless at dishwashing but hopefully useful for other things, now that i know x

Soaking with a sterilising tablet (look in baby section of supermarket) will take away any smells.

Also, soaking in a solution of biological washing powder (wash well afterwards) can remove stains (great for teapots etc too). Think this happens with all plastic boxes though, cheap or expensive.

I also have lock & lock, ( and Morrisons and wilkinsons ) plastic storage boxes that are also stained orange from chillis and currys. Hand wash with fairy also. Even soaking with boiling hot water from kettle and oxyclean powder ( which works brillantly on stained teacups and teapots) hasn't worked. So I just keep those particular boxes for currys etc. now.

Thank you everyone, I'll be trying some of your ideas. And if they aren't sucessful I'll keep some boxes for strong-smelling, red foods and the rest for packed lunches and dry foods.

Now, who is going to be the t-caller who tackles Malcolm (??) Lock n Lock? :wonder:

I don't have any more ideas to help your problem but thought I'd say that I bought a Lock & Lock set within the last 18 months or so that was specially designed for this problem. They said that it was designed not to stain or rather that it was more resistant to staining.

The set looks slightly different - a harder looking case I think - and it's been great. I have cooked chilli etc., frozen it and then reheated in the microwave with NO staining. I've had a few occasions when I've left it to soak and I doubted whether it would clean up well, particularly as I don't have a dishwasher, but it has! I can't say I've noticed a smell although I don't think smell was mentioned in the presentation!

If memory serves me right, there were a couple of lower scored reviews about the durability of this set but I've used it lots and have had no problems. It's not currently listed on the website but hopefully they'll bring it back at some point. :wonder:

I don't have any more ideas to help your problem but thought I'd say that I bought a Lock & Lock set within the last 18 months or so that was specially designed for this problem. They said that it was designed not to stain or rather that it was more resistant to staining.

The set looks slightly different - a harder looking case I think - and it's been great. I have cooked chilli etc., frozen it and then reheated in the microwave with NO staining. I've had a few occasions when I've left it to soak and I doubted whether it would clean up well, particularly as I don't have a dishwasher, but it has! I can't say I've noticed a smell although I don't think smell was mentioned in the presentation!

If memory serves me right, there were a couple of lower scored reviews about the durability of this set but I've used it lots and have had no problems. It's not currently listed on the website but hopefully they'll bring it back at some point. :wonder:

this is L&L's polycarbonate range that QVC also sell and which absolutely DOES solve the problem of staining. however after a couple of years of use (no dishwashers involved) each of my polycarbonate boxes has cracked in the area around the lock rendering them useless. i would have returned them if i knew what boxes came in which set.

ive also had the ones with the ring-pull vacuum seal and theyre rubbish too. strikes me that L&L's attempts to take the range in new directions have failed. Stick with the originals and put up with the staining. it would probably help not to use them for hot food, and definitely not to re-heat strong coloured foods in the microwave in them.

Try soaking them in Milton - it has worked on some of my plastics to remove the smells.

I was going to suggest this too. I tried this before & it worked for me, but I should have been a bit more careful as I hadn't realised it was basically bleach!! Ruined my trousers!:blush:

this is L&L's polycarbonate range that QVC also sell and which absolutely DOES solve the problem of staining. however after a couple of years of use (no dishwashers involved) each of my polycarbonate boxes has cracked in the area around the lock rendering them useless. i would have returned them if i knew what boxes came in which set.

ive also had the ones with the ring-pull vacuum seal and theyre rubbish too. strikes me that L&L's attempts to take the range in new directions have failed. Stick with the originals and put up with the staining. it would probably help not to use them for hot food, and definitely not to re-heat strong coloured foods in the microwave in them.

Yes, I've had exactly the same problem with the polycarbonate ones. I returned the first set when one cracked but the same thing has happened to the replacement. Having said that, if they could solve this problem, these would so be much better than the originals. They're not available to buy anywhere now so I presume they've pulled them because of the cracking problem.

my DD likes taking that Italian pasta for her packed lunch, so it's only in the container for the day, as it were, but I find that a scoop of the hot soapy washing up water to fill it, put the lid on, give it a good shake, then leave it for an hour or so, upside down usually so the seal comes clean, and mine are fine. I don't have a dishwasher and I don't use Fairy (like someone else on here, it brings on my dermatitis!). Another thought, maybe the denture cleaning tablets? They are good for toilets & vases, and as they're for soaking dentures they must be reasonably safe for food containers..!

Latest posts

Back