Ooh. Well said AY.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

barbedwire

Registered Shopper
No, I haven't gone mad. I am going to make a nice thread about AY, because I think she deserves it this time.

You know how she sometimes goes off on one during shows - well today was no different, during the 4pm L'Occitane hour she started saying how she had a lady who worked for her who did secretarial work, typing, short-hand etc and said how marvellous she was.

She then went on to say how things would be better if we went back to learning proper admin skills, using proper English and spelling properly - she doesn't like computers, this we know, but she does have a point - she said many large companies could learn a thing or two about proper admin. I hope her bosses weren't listening :tongue: .

But it was a fair point to make I think. :hi:

Use proper English? She says is/was sat there frequently!
As I'm not a very good speller I choose to believe the theory that being able to spell is like being able to draw or do arithmetic quickly, it's a talent and we don't all have it :giggle:
In the spirit of being nice although I can't abide AY, I imagine she'd be an perfectly ok boss and not a ranting diva.

I can spell perfectly well but it's my typing that lets me down lol. Anyway the reality is we are programmed to read what we think is there rather than what actually is there so spelling/typos don't really matter. Well that's Tink Logic anyway.

I have a PA/Admin whizz who works for me on a contract basis (her choice not mine!) and she says I'm the only person she's ever worked for who chases her for her timesheet so I can pay her on time.

AY needs to get over herself and learn how to operate a computer. yes it would be nice to go back to the days when zillions of people were employed doing admin work but its not going to happen so get over it darling and learn to type.

I don’t think that’s what AY is getting at - rather, she is referring to the appalling state of grammar and spelling that is prolific everywhere now - and she is right. How many people use your instead of you're and there instead of their etc etc. So many people either can't be bothered or just don’t know basic English. Probably showing my age, but I think the state of the 3 R's in this country is nothing short or embarrassing now!

AY's grammar, pronunciation and basic language skills are pants, how could she have said this with a straight face? She's morphing into Liz Jones.

I don’t think that’s what AY is getting at - rather, she is referring to the appalling state of grammar and spelling that is prolific everywhere now - and she is right. How many people use your instead of you're and there instead of their etc etc. So many people either can't be bothered or just don’t know basic English. Probably showing my age, but I think the state of the 3 R's in this country is nothing short or embarrassing now!

i agree re appalling spelling and grammar but what i think AY was getting at was that she wants to bark out orders to some "minion" who does all the paperwork for her while she ponces about dictating letters/articles for Bella magazine or being on telly. she's a dimwit with no interest in anything outside her immediate and very small sphere. when QVC finally dump her she'll be fooked but good.

I suffer from something called word blindness, not sure if this is a real thing or not? Its what my family used to call it.

So I can type have my RSAs etc now called OCRs. But using a computer what happens to me is I type totally the wrong word in. Of course the spell check does not pick it up. And for some reason looking at the computer screen I just cannot see it. I actually have to print things out on paper and read that way.
By the way I am sure many on here have spotted this from me over time.:doh:
So instead of say that I will put than etc. Very weird.

I have said many times using a computer makes you lazy. I remember and we are talking 80s here when going to typing classes you had to work out margins etc yourself, centering, tabs by the size of the page you used.

The thing is though text speak is now being using as the norm, I see it on message boards all the time. People because they use it all the time thing it is fine in letters, job applications the lot. I hate texting as I keeping wanting to use all my fingers as I would with a qwerty keyboard and type in full words.

I agree with her sentiment, but she needs to improve her own grammar. If I hear her say

"you are watching QVC with MYSELF, ALISON YOUNG" once more, I shall scream!!!!

Why can't people just use the word "ME", in the correct context? It's as though she thinks the use of "ME" is grammatically incorrect, instead of the other way round. I think she may have opened herself to criticism really, by making such a statement!

Latest posts

Back