Bose tsv 4/6/11

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I bought my son the bose ipod dock for xmas, yes it was expensive but well worth every penny, the sound from it is amazing. I would have paid more for a hi fi system x

We got an ipod dock a couple of years ago at the Bose outlet shop in Biscester. It was a great bargain but would have been well worth the full price. Would love to be able to afford the full sound system !

Also both me any hubby have the in ear earphones and they are wonderful. Again would love to be able to afford the noise cancelling ones!

I have a Bose dock, which is excellent.

I also have Bose Companion PC speakers, these are excellent too. But I recently bought the new "improved" model of these and thought they were dreadful. Possibly they were faulty, but the volume kept going up and down, so I had a refund (bought locally).

I've been tempted by the Bose wave radio and actually ordered it on the last TSV but it was on waitlist. I then looked at 100's of reviews of it on unbiased sites (Hi-fi mags, gadget mags etc) and many of the reviews were not very good, so I cancelled it.

I've never found anywhere where you can listen to it before buying, which seems very suspicious to me.

I bought a Vita Audio R4 instead (you can google this), about the same price and superb, and much better reviews than the Bose.

It doesn't use waveguides to try and get bass out of small speakers, it has a real bass speaker in the bottom, out of sight facing downwards, and it has a control so you can adjust the bass volume.

Here is a link - -

http://www.vitaaudio.com/products/r4i

Last edited:
I too lusted after a Bose for many years, but couldn't justify the price. I read the reviews in a number of mags and the Vita Audio seemed to be a real winner. I bought the R2i, which is about the equivelent of the Bose wave, BUT it is DAB as well as FM without that huge separate unit that Bose have and it also has a built in ipod dock. The R2i doesn't have a CD player, but the R4i does. The sound is tremendous! Brand new it is about £300 or less depending on case finish. VERY highly recommend Vita Audio!!

Last edited:
Yes, I have heard the R2i demoed, it is very good, and from the reviews much better than the Bose DAB radio. I can't remember if the Bose radio has a CD, I don't think so from memory, in which case the R2i is much cheaper.

Also, the Bose radio has an external DAB module, so more wires to connect and possibly needs another mains socket as well.

BTW the Bose DAB module may become obsolete in a few years as broadcasts may move to DAB+, which is already built into the Vita.

Link for R2i - - - -

http://www.vitaaudio.com/products/r2i

my grandma would love a bose item but she dont like the cost

she wants somethin with a cd player and dab radio but wants a similar sound quailty to the bose for less than the price any suggestions please

Yes, I have heard the R2i demoed, it is very good, and from the reviews much better than the Bose DAB radio. I can't remember if the Bose radio has a CD, I don't think so from memory, in which case the R2i is much cheaper.

Also, the Bose radio has an external DAB module, so more wires to connect and possibly needs another mains socket as well.

BTW the Bose DAB module may become obsolete in a few years as broadcasts may move to DAB+, which is already built into the Vita.

Link for R2i - - - -

http://www.vitaaudio.com/products/r2i

Bose have a couple of models, Wave without CD, Wave with CD and then either with DAB. The DAB unit does require another cable to power I think, and it has to be cabled to the wave unit. And the DAB unit is just about as big as the Wave unit! The instructions say that it should be placed to the right of the unit - though some places say it is "hideaway", I didn't think the cable was long enough to put it very far away from the unit. Also, the DAB unit has a power swtich of its own, so for energy saving you have to remember to switch it off as well as the Wave. Add to that the cable for the ipod dock as well! I don't think they do DAB+ and really you have to buy the additional DAB unit as regular FM will be off the air in a few years. Wave radio without DAB is £349.
OK, positives for Bose? 5 interest free payments, free postage, a 30 day mbg and free return postage, they are offering the ipod dock free with Wave + DAB atm.

Last edited:
my grandma would love a bose item but she dont like the cost

she wants somethin with a cd player and dab radio but wants a similar sound quailty to the bose for less than the price any suggestions please

You could look for a Bose on Ebay, as there are often cheaper deals there, I hear the Roberts 53 is good, don't know much on details sorry!

Yes, I forgot that the Bose radio needs a separate ipod dock as well as the separate DAB module (this was included in the last TSV) but is yet another cable to connect up, possibly another mains socket needed as well, so more messy wiring. And it stops you connecting other things unless you unplug the dock first.

The Vita R2i does everything the Bose does, looks a lot smarter IMO, is about the same size, takes an ipod (and charges it), has a remote (which also controls ipod) alarm clock and sleep timer (the clock automatically sets itself too). It costs about £250 (or less) with free P&P in the walnut option, which looks very smart.

Latest posts

Back