Literally ----driving me mad!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

shoppingstar

Registered Shopper
I know we all have our personal `wait for it ` phrases from our fave presenters --I`m wearing the small ` for example , but the word that drives me mad on air has to be `Literally ` , possibly the most misused words in our language

Presenters love it ---everything is ` LITERALLY `` flying of the shelves , when clearly it`s not --- how dangerous that would be

And why does everybody have to `jump to the phones ` can`t we just pick them up as usual

What drives you to distraction???:devil:

"giving you" no you are not giving you are selling!!!! Oh and Jill Franks "this is your....." for every damm item, price, colour, makes me want to sream listening to her mangling the English language.

How long can you spare ? Here's my top ten in no particular order:

1. use of their buyers' jargon - price point, deep stock, handle

2. me, myself, I. :devil: "Why don't you call Richard and I ", "Please call or text Alexis and myself" . IF they were presenting solo would they say "Why don't you call I" or "Please call or text myself"

3. Dawn Bibby: You've got the blue, you've got the yellow, you've got the red, you've got the brown, you've got the black, you've got the fuchsia pink, you've got the purple, you've got the silver, you've got the gold, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

4. short term use of silly phrases - £xxx and change, "colour blocking"

5. Silly colour descriptions: eggshell/bone/ivory/winter white = dirty white,
tan/english tan/cognac = dirty-nappy brown,

6. JR's persistent use of "text us with your Christian name" Doesn't she want to speak to atheists, buddhists, muslims, druids etc ?

7. Richard Jackson - New generation, plant and stand back, aaarrrrgggghhhh look at those roots

8. Purchase, Utilise. What's wrong with Buy, Use ?

9. Describing leather goods as "malleable"

10. Oyster card - does anyone who doesn't travel on London Transport know what they are ?

Aww ... I like the phrase "£35 and change". It's very 'Merican to me. I don't use it myself but I do like it when the American guests use it.

The phrase colour blocking doesn't irritate me but it is clear that a lot of the presenters don't actually know what it means in fashion terms.

How long can you spare ? Here's my top ten in no particular order:

1. use of their buyers' jargon - price point, deep stock, handle

2. me, myself, I. :devil: "Why don't you call Richard and I ", "Please call or text Alexis and myself" . IF they were presenting solo would they say "Why don't you call I" or "Please call or text myself"

3. Dawn Bibby: You've got the blue, you've got the yellow, you've got the red, you've got the brown, you've got the black, you've got the fuchsia pink, you've got the purple, you've got the silver, you've got the gold, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

4. short term use of silly phrases - £xxx and change, "colour blocking"

5. Silly colour descriptions: eggshell/bone/ivory/winter white = dirty white,
tan/english tan/cognac = dirty-nappy brown,

6. JR's persistent use of "text us with your Christian name" Doesn't she want to speak to atheists, buddhists, muslims, druids etc ?

7. Richard Jackson - New generation, plant and stand back, aaarrrrgggghhhh look at those roots

8. Purchase, Utilise. What's wrong with Buy, Use ?

9. Describing leather goods as "malleable"

10. Oyster card - does anyone who doesn't travel on London Transport know what they are ?

To be fair, that IS RJ's chat up line... :smirk:

You forgot "buttery leather". "Trouser". "Little pump". "Wear to go out to play in". :taphead:

Not to mention: "buy one for your [delete as applicable] sewing circle/children's pilates and polo teachers/gamekeeper/hansom cab driver/husband's gay lover" :devil:

And: "These NN 6540 thread count 86 piece bed sets are such great value, from £890 for the single, that you should buy one for each room in the house. And maybe even the outside lav. The colours are as follows: horsepoo, cat urine, rosacea, syphilis and tramp white..."

Last edited:
'Fabrication'. Presenters using this word to describe dress fabric or leather on a bag or whatever makes me want to dig out my nips with a rusty butter knife. Fabrication has nothing to do with these sorts of materials in the way they are using it.

It really really annoys me when they try to give you examples of how, when and where you can use things.

'You could use these candles in the living room while you are knitting, in the bedroom before you go to sleep, in the kitchen after you've been cooking' ...So, anywhere in the home where one may normally use a candle!

'Look at what you could use this bag for: a purse, magazine, mobile phone, bottle of water, lipstick' ...So, all the the things that any of us girls keep in our bags!!!

It's particularly bad if they are really silly examples. Bedding sets for your guest house, granny flat, proprties you let out etc etc! Oh yes, we all have those!

We've all grown up people with imaginations and common sense and we can manage to shop everywhere else without being given such examples!

Just give me the facts, please!

The phrase "you are getting..." does my nut in!! No i'm not getting that because I haven't ordered it!!! Ann Dawson says it the most.

Its more the words they don't use that drive me nuts, for example

most affordable in the hour = cheapest
go for = buy

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

To be fair, that IS RJ's chat up line... :smirk:

You forgot "buttery leather". "Trouser". "Little pump". "Wear to go out to play in". :taphead:

Not to mention: "buy one for your [delete as applicable] sewing circle/children's pilates and polo teachers/gamekeeper/hansom cab driver/husband's gay lover" :devil:

And: "These NN 6540 thread count 86 piece bed sets are such great value, from £890 for the single, that you should buy one for each room in the house. And maybe even the outside lav. The colours are as follows: horsepoo, cat urine, rosacea, syphilis and tramp white..."

YES ---Thank you --- I did forget LITTLE ----JR constantly says `take a little look ` and as for Glen and fashion--- where would we be without his advice that a LITTLE t shirt would look good with a LITTLE short or skirt and LITTLE pumps or Mary Jane`s .

Wish I `d thought of that Glen after years of muddling through with a mixture of tops and bottoms , and as for putting something on my feet --wow , lucky we have a trained fashion advisor on board

I know we all have our personal `wait for it ` phrases from our fave presenters --I`m wearing the small ` for example , but the word that drives me mad on air has to be `Literally ` , possibly the most misused words in our language

Presenters love it ---everything is ` LITERALLY `` flying of the shelves , when clearly it`s not --- how dangerous that would be

Reading your post remined me of the childrens tv show Horrible Histories song about vikings, heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSkaAwKMD4 it has your favourite word as it's song title- wait for the chorus. And a blooming excellent show it is as well.

Don't forget "As we speak" - that drives me nuts. And one in particular is muddling up "classic" and "classical".

Bad maths annoy me too. The new dull LE guest said that each bottle of C&P has an unopened life of 3 three years and because you have 3 bottles in the kit, that gives you 9 years worth. Er, no it doesn't! Those bottles will all age together, giving you three years whether you have 1, 3 or a thousand bottles! Duh. The resident beauty expert didn't comment, so I don't know if she noticed it or not. Maybe she couldn't work it out that quickly!

'Let's dip in...'. Let's not.

'Well done for getting yours!' Well done for buying something you probably don't need and will be back in stock by the end of the show, so very patronising, if shop assistants start telling me 'Well done!' when I buy something from the dreaded 'High Street' I'll be having words with the manager.

'...and again...' just keep repeating the same old twaddle to kill time till the next item.

I can't stand it when JF says HELLO (I don't mean the greeting ) and yeh,yeh,yeh. It has me shouting at the television. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

"I'm loving this ..."
"I'm really loving this ..."
"You're loving this ...",
"You're really loving this ..."
"This is fab."
"This is really fab." Doesn't matter who says it either ...

Latest posts

Back