Heavy Eyed

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
I know its personal preference, but is it only me that thinks that having black kohl on the bottom rim of the eye is unattractive ? and makes the wearer look hard faced a la Victoria Beckham.

They're all at it - first it was Claire who went from being fresh faced when I first started viewing a couple of years ago, to being a cross between the nursery and a bordello; then I see JR is doing the black underliner now which just ages her even more, and now this afternoon CH on the Taylor dress hour is also sporting the black eyed look, which somehow doesn't sit well with the prom high school image she is trying to achieve - (um 40 going on 20 ? )

Sorry, I realise its only my opinion, but it suits some and not others.

I saw JR during the Dress Boutique hour last night and thought it made her very tired looking eyes even worse......it seemed to accentuate the bags!

I know its personal preference, but is it only me that thinks that having black kohl on the bottom rim of the eye is unattractive ? and makes the wearer look hard faced a la Victoria Beckham.

They're all at it - first it was Claire who went from being fresh faced when I first started viewing a couple of years ago, to being a cross between the nursery and a bordello; then I see JR is doing the black underliner now which just ages her even more, and now this afternoon CH on the Taylor dress hour is also sporting the black eyed look, which somehow doesn't sit well with the prom high school image she is trying to achieve - (um 40 going on 20 ? )

Sorry, I realise its only my opinion, but it suits some and not others.
They may be all wearing the Smashbox TSV (17th May), just a guess, I wonder if this is compulsory, it obviously doesn't suit everyone.

Last edited:
I've recently stopped putting black (or indeed any) eyeliner on my under eyes - and only lining the top of my eyes. I suddenly felt it was ageing me and making me look more tired and also accentuating the dark circles. It looks much better on me at any rate. It can be very harsh and it just ends up bleeding and smudging.

I always wear eyeliner but for years have been wearing dark brown powder which I put on with a damp artist's brush. It is much softer than black and I'm an olive skinned dark brunette with brown eyes. I cannot do the smoky eye look at all. My eyes look best subtley enhanced. Actually I though that was what make up should do. Make you look like you, only better.

I remember reading in one of the glosssies years ago only to mascara top lashes if you wanted a more youthful look. Suits me as my eyes tend to water so mascara on bottom lashes has always been a nightmare!

In my hey day I used to line the inner rim of my eyes with this kohl thing that Rimmel did, it had a great point and was easy to use and the rock chick look became me . But time rolls on rather than rocks and I packed in doing this as it looks all wrong after about 30ish I reckon. I am lucky enough to have big brown eyes but less truly is more as I (sadly!!) mature .

I don't do black eyeliner, never have.

Mascara only on top lashes I do line but very tight to the lash line to define. Usually a bronze or lilac purple.

It was a makeup artist who told me not to put mascara on the bottom lashes.

I agree whilst I am not a fan of Catherine I just find her presentation style not to my taste. She is an attractive woman but looks incredibly over made up today and personally I don't think she looks her best.

now in my 60s I no longer use eyeliner at all...I like the Mally eyeshadow base which covers the purply lids, perhaps a smudge of eyeshadow if I'm going somewhere special, and mascara on the top lashes only....I wear specs all the time so generally speaking you do need to make up your eyes a bit more behind them...but I don't think it's a good look as you get older - not for me at any rate.

Hubby thinks Catherine looks great ... hot was the very word. He likes the dress she wore during the electrical home show.:happy:

i have never been able to wear black eyeliner, i keep trying but i always end up looking panda-ized. i use LG eye rimz mostly now but if i try doing it the way it is sposed to i look very over done and harsh. so i line the bottom and part of the top. as for mascara i use a lot lengthening on the top and then a different type on my bottom lashes, all it does is slightly colour them.. a plain old fashioned type

In my hey day I used to line the inner rim of my eyes with this kohl thing that Rimmel did, it had a great point and was easy to use and the rock chick look became me . But time rolls on rather than rocks and I packed in doing this as it looks all wrong after about 30ish I reckon. I am lucky enough to have big brown eyes but less truly is more as I (sadly!!) mature .

Other the "big brown eyes" (more grey and squinty) ditto this post.
So why do I still insist on buying yet more eye shadows and liners? ............and still occasionally slap on a bit of the Rimmel Kohl for old times sake.
Could be worse I suppose, could be out looking for "Dove Grey" tights again................
:thinking:

I used to use black (flecked with gold) liner but thought it was lookng a bit harsh I now use a lovely shimmery grey and its soo much more lfattering for me.

whenever I think of black eyeliner one of the daughters of Prince Andrew comes to mind now with her hideous black panda eyelook and the loilet bowl hat

Sooo not a good look, and I mean the black eyeliner for that. Do not think I have ,met many people who really suit that look, but they however like it.

whenever I think of black eyeliner one of the daughters of Prince Andrew comes to mind now with her hideous black panda eyelook and the loilet bowl hatSooo not a good look, and I mean the black eyeliner for that. Do not think I have ,met many people who really suit that look, but they however like it.

I know it's not very kind but I have cut out a picture of the one (get them muddled up so can't recall the correct name) with the deer antler style hat and pinned it to my kitchen notice board. I makes me giggle every time I look at it.

On the subject of black eyeliner, Keith Richards is still favouring this, I love Keef so can forgive him anything!

I also think it looks absolutely awful on most women past 40. I sometimes line only the inner edge of my eye in the morning, and during the day that smudges into a very soft line below the eye. I think even someone as young and pretty as Kate Middleton look much older with all that hard eyeliner in place.

Latest posts

Back