That letter again!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ruthmay

Registered Shopper
I have lost the will to live!

Have written a long scribe to OFT about the 50% returns, cannot email it because I do not have the QVC email address. searched their site high and low. no other company I have ever dealt with on line does not make their email address available or put it on their notepaper.:headbang:

I have lost the will to live!

Have written a long scribe to OFT about the 50% returns, cannot email it because I do not have the QVC email address. searched their site high and low. no other company I have ever dealt with on line does not make their email address available or put it on their notepaper.:headbang:

I had just this problem when I tried complaining to Royal mail about something, it took me all round 'frequently asked questions' in the 'contact us' section but there was absolutely no option of sending them a e-mail. Couldn't believe it.

Does this help

Chief Executive Office
QVC
Customer Operations Centre
Liverpool
L70 2QA

If you wish to email, you may do so by emailing your complaint and relevant information through to [email protected].

I had just this problem when I tried complaining to Royal mail about something, it took me all round 'frequently asked questions' in the 'contact us' section but there was absolutely no option of sending them a e-mail. Couldn't believe it.

I get fed up of so-called customer service links/FAQs or as you say, no email contact. Even when you do email them you often get no-where.
I emailed RM by sending it directly to whoever was in charge (CEO) at the time and eventually got a refund and also a £25 cheque.

Current CEO of RM: [email protected]

Very useful link here:

http://www.ceoemail.com/#ukcompanies

Email addresses of loads of CEOs of companies - UK based.

I've been thinking about this from a legal point of view and I can't see that QVC are breaching any law or regulation by refusing to do business with people who return more than 50% of the items they receive. Their terms say that they offer a 30 day money back guarantee and provided they do refund any item returned within that period, they are fulfilling their promise. I am not aware of anyone who has been refused the 30 MBG on a returned item. Any retailer can refuse to do future business with a person and QVC have the right to refuse to do future business with anyone who they feel is abusing their MBG policy.

When I think about what the presenters say about the policy, they just say 'you can have a full refund if you change your mind', they don't go on to say 'and you can return as many items as you like, we'll still do business with you'. I can see why people might not like the 50% return policy but I can't see how a regulator could find QVC are doing anything wrong.

I've been thinking about this from a legal point of view and I can't see that QVC are breaching any law or regulation by refusing to do business with people who return more than 50% of the items they receive. Their terms say that they offer a 30 day money back guarantee and provided they do refund any item returned within that period, they are fulfilling their promise. I am not aware of anyone who has been refused the 30 MBG on a returned item. Any retailer can refuse to do future business with a person and QVC have the right to refuse to do future business with anyone who they feel is abusing their MBG policy.

When I think about what the presenters say about the policy, they just say 'you can have a full refund if you change your mind', they don't go on to say 'and you can return as many items as you like, we'll still do business with you'. I can see why people might not like the 50% return policy but I can't see how a regulator could find QVC are doing anything wrong.

White Russian: I, too, have been giving this matter consideration. Whilst I agree that a company can refuse to do business with customers returning its products, it is my reading - from comments made on the forum - that members have been quite justified, on several grounds, when criticising Q’s policy on accounts closure.

First, many commenced their shopping with Q prior to the establishment of Q's website. Often they received only a membership card without any additional information on Q’s terms and conditions – within which one finds the relevant clause (9.3).

Second, although the relevant clause (9.3) of Q’s terms and conditions is to be found on Q’s website, the clause is, in my opinion, rather vague and inexplicit.

9.3 It is our policy to contact and work with customers whose level of returns is very high. This is to ensure that our prices are not negatively impacted by the cost to QVC of dealing with an extremely high number of returns by a small minority of customers. If a customer continues to return an extremely high number of products to us, we reserve the right to close their account. If this happens the customer’s statutory rights will remain unaffected, orders accepted by us before the account has been closed will be fulfilled in accordance with these terms and individual product warranties will continue to be honoured in accordance with their terms.

What, for example, does ‘work with customers mean’? Some people have had their accounts closed without having received either a telephone call or a letter. Many of those who did receive a telephone call would not have construed the often unhelpful telephone conversation as ‘working with’ the member.

Turning to the question of returns: what comprises a return? This is asked in all seriousness. I would contend that the following items being returned to Q should NOT be included in any global figure:

1 Items not fit for purpose
2 Defective items
3 Items sent in error
4 Items delivered outwith Q’s stated delivery times
5 Items which were too large or too small
6 Items which failed to meet realistic expectations based on information given on the web and/or by sales presenters
7 Items which caused adverse reactions

The next questions to be asked and answered are

1: what is the proportion of returns deemed by Q to be ‘extremely high’; and

2: over what period is the figure that triggers concern on the part of Q calculated?

Cl 9.3 is silent on these important statistics.

Q’s members are not in a position to know. It is clear that on those occasions when members have contacted customer service, they have received inconsistent responses.

So, where does this get us? In any dealings between a business and a consumer the law recognises the unequal bargaining power between the two parties. In situations of unequal bargaining power there is the possibility of the exploitation of a weaker by the stronger party. Where business terms/ clauses are vague/ ambivalent/ open to different construction, courts invoke the contra proferentem rule: the clause is construed against the person seeking to impose it.

This should mean that clause 9.3 would be construed against Q.

White Russian, with regard to your second paragraph, if Q does say, ‘You can have a full refund if you change your mind’, I think that this could very reasonably be construed to mean that the refund includes p&p – which in fact it does not. Q presenters should always say that Q refunds the purchase price only.

Also, if a company representative says to a customer, ‘You can return as many items as you like’, I think it reasonable for the customer to interpret this as meaning that the company will continue to do business with him or her.

I do not dispute Q’s right to impose whatever restrictions it wants, within the law. What I do dispute is its right to act on restrictions when those restrictions have not been explicitly stated to the customer prior to any transactions occurring.

:sweat:

Last edited:
surely it must also depend on whether they can resell the item too?

i'm not sure how they decide whether something has been used or not but i personally have received NUMEROUS clothing (i know, i know but like i said elsewhere, years ago it wasn't all psychedelic polyester) and jewellery items that have CLEARLY been sent out before - at least once. in fact to the extent that if i reallllly want something, i try and order it quick so that i'll actually get a "new" new product - before the returns start coming in. the first time it happened, i was surprised because i thought returned items were not recycled - now i see it as the norm.:wonder:

Minnehaha makes some good points.
I think there's a big difference between returning something because you changed your mind and an item that was faulty or damaged in transit - one should count and the other not.

I think one major issue has to be when buying clothing and they often suggest you get more than one size to try if you're not sure about the fit. Well you only have to order one item in two sizes - keep one and return one and you have 50% return rate - so over how long to they 'keep score' IYKWIM.

I can see why they would want to limit some customers who might appear to abuse the system. But then again if items are returned in perfect condition (you can't wear it if it's too small etc.) then it can be resold (same as a skirt bought in a shop) and isn't the same as using something and then sending back (which you are encouraged to do) and it's not suitable for resale but ends up having to be sold of cheap.

If they don't make a distinction between the various reasons then it's unfair on thecustomers who have had genuine problems, when compared to those who might watch all day get caught up in the hype and over order then have a reality check and send it all back.

Last edited:
White Russian: I, too, have been giving this matter consideration. Whilst I agree that a company can refuse to do business with customers returning its products, it is my reading - from comments made on the forum - that members have been quite justified, on several grounds, when criticising Q’s policy on accounts closure.

First, many commenced their shopping with Q prior to the establishment of Q's website. Often they received only a membership card without any additional information on Q’s terms and conditions – within which one finds the relevant clause (9.3).

Second, although the relevant clause (9.3) of Q’s terms and conditions is to be found on Q’s website, the clause is, in my opinion, rather vague and inexplicit.

9.3 It is our policy to contact and work with customers whose level of returns is very high. This is to ensure that our prices are not negatively impacted by the cost to QVC of dealing with an extremely high number of returns by a small minority of customers. If a customer continues to return an extremely high number of products to us, we reserve the right to close their account. If this happens the customer’s statutory rights will remain unaffected, orders accepted by us before the account has been closed will be fulfilled in accordance with these terms and individual product warranties will continue to be honoured in accordance with their terms.

What, for example, does ‘work with customers mean’? Some people have had their accounts closed without having received either a telephone call or a letter. Many of those who did receive a telephone call would not have construed the often unhelpful telephone conversation as ‘working with’ the member.

Turning to the question of returns: what comprises a return? This is asked in all seriousness. I would contend that the following items being returned to Q should NOT be included in any global figure:

1 Items not fit for purpose
2 Defective items
3 Items sent in error
4 Items delivered outwith Q’s stated delivery times
5 Items which were too large or too small
6 Items which failed to meet realistic expectations based on information given on the web and/or by sales presenters
7 Items which caused adverse reactions

The next questions to be asked and answered are

1: what is the proportion of returns deemed by Q to be ‘extremely high’; and

2: over what period is the figure that triggers concern on the part of Q calculated?

Cl 9.3 is silent on these important statistics.

Q’s members are not in a position to know. It is clear that on those occasions when members have contacted customer service, they have received inconsistent responses.

So, where does this get us? In any dealings between a business and a consumer the law recognises the unequal bargaining power between the two parties. In situations of unequal bargaining power there is the possibility of the exploitation of a weaker by the stronger party. Where business terms/ clauses are vague/ ambivalent/ open to different construction, courts invoke the contra proferentem rule: the clause is construed against the person seeking to impose it.

This should mean that clause 9.3 would be construed against Q.

White Russian, with regard to your second paragraph, if Q does say, ‘You can have a full refund if you change your mind’, I think that this could very reasonably be construed to mean that the refund includes p&p – which in fact it does not. Q presenters should always say that Q refunds the purchase price only.

Also, if a company representative says to a customer, ‘You can return as many items as you like’, I think it reasonable for the customer to interpret this as meaning that the company will continue to do business with him or her.

I do not dispute Q’s right to impose whatever restrictions it wants, within the law. What I do dispute is its right to act on restrictions when those restrictions have not been explicitly stated to the customer prior to any transactions occurring.

:sweat:

I think the key issue here is that even assuming there was a breach of the terms and conditions, the customer would have to show that they suffered loss. The only loss they have is that they can no longer shop with QVC. This can be mitigated simply by shopping elsewhere. Difficult to make out a claim there. But, to play devil's advocate and just for fun...

I agree that defective products/items sent in error should not be included in the 'returned items' bracket. Items that are not fit for purpose too, although very difficult to prove. Items which arrive outside the 5-7 day period is tricky as QVC say they AIM to deliver within that period/delivery is NORMALLY within that period. I suspect the customer would need to show that they had suffered some sort of special reliance on the delivery period (for example, Christmas decorations which do not arrive before Christmas). Products which can be sold on may already be excluded, we don't know. Most companies will refund skincare items which cause adverse reactions.

The fact that the customer has not logged on and read the terms and conditions is irrelevant, isn't it? So long as the customer is referred to the full t&cs in the documentation when they join, for example if the membership card says 'full t&cs are available at www.qvcuk.com' or if this flashes up on the bottom of the TV screen occasionally (I assume the card refers people to website but haven't checked), the terms will form part of the contract.

Whether clause 9.3 (have not read the terms in full, just your paste) is too vague or not is open to debate. Yes, it does not state what it considers 'extremely high' and what it means by 'work with customers' but I don't believe it has to - it's very common for matters (esp of opinion, ie. what constitutes 'extremely high') to be left to one parties' discretion in contracts. I doubt the clause is so vague that it could not be binding and the court won't 'make up' additional terms. I think the clause is clear that these are matters within QVC's discretion.

Often presenters do say 'if you return, all you lose is your p&p'. But again, as the terms and conditions are available on the website for inspection, I don't believe they are obligated to repeat them all on air. I doubt any presenter has ever said 'you can return as many items as you like', unless of course you can point the finger?

Unequal bargaining power. Just because a business is dealing with a customer does not mean that every term has to objectively be deemed 'fair', which is difficult to assess anyway. Some might argue that their returns policy is already fair. The customer is forced to accept the standard terms and conditions when they choose to buy something, but they are not forced to do business with QVC in the first place and a court won't just rewrite a clause to make it more friendly to one party, consumer or not.

Finally, if you tried to argue that the clause should be interpretted against QVC as the party who drafted it, first you'd have to show that the clause is ambigious. The only part I think may be deemed ambigious is that QVC will 'work with the customer'. I would think a phone call or letter would qualify here, but even if no contact was made, as QVC state this is only a 'policy' of theirs, that arguably gives them some room for revising or departing from the policy. What would interpretting 'work with the customer' in favour of the customer look like? The customer can't say 'I thought it meant I'd get 5 letters from them and 3 phone calls before they cancelled my account' - it has to be what the parties had in their reasonable contemplation when they entered into the contract. As QVC can use their discretion here by virtue of the clause's language, it's a difficult argument for the customer to win.

Ultimately, presuming the remedy the customer wants is to continue shopping with QVC, I think the courts would be highly reluctant to force QVC to do with business with anyone unless they could show they had been specifically discriminated against. To do otherwise would interfere with the right of freedom to contract.

I think the 30 day MBG is still pretty generous, especially after my experience with another clothing company, which gives 7 days to return unwanted items. I didn't notice in time, but even so that is hardly enough time for the Post Office to deliver the item back to the company, let alone for a customer to try it on, decide if they don't like it, wrap it up, get to post office etc. I guess the clause is reasonably vague, so that they can catch people who order cosmetics/skin care etc, uses them up in 30 days or tip the contents into another container and return the empty pots, to claim a refund. That would be seriously annoying!

For those who have received "the letter" - what is it you mainly returned? I am wondering if QVC targets those who return cosmetics/creams etc which can't be resold :thinking:

For those who have received "the letter" - what is it you mainly returned? I am wondering if QVC targets those who return cosmetics/creams etc which can't be resold :thinking:

I also thought they wouldn't send out returned skincare but they do! I did get a Gatineau boxed duo where one of the two had been unwrapped from its clear filmy thing round the packaging (can't remember the name of it!) and the pump had definitely used. And the previous customer had kept the stickers with the Gatineau loyalty points on, I was a touch miffed! I didn't send it back in case they thought it was me who used the open one and kept the points.

i have a catalogue and you can buy and try on stuff but cannot wear them out unless they are faulty in wear, you cannot claim a refund,unless they are returned in sellable condition.

qvc are using certain selling points to sell items i.e non stick pans with a lifetime guarantee and you can wear clothes,shoes,underwear,jewellery for 30 days and you can claim your purchase price back. i dont know any other company that allows that.

it seems that qvc dont really like returns on this basis so they should not imo use this as a selling point to get you to part with your money then complain if you use it.

Just a couple of points to throw into the mix:

Vendors stand the cost of returned items not qvc, the loss to qvc is the loss of profit on that item and the admin/ handling costs they have incurred. P&P is mostly lost by the customer and in many cases QVC resell the item either at full price, or marked down in an outlet show(esp if loads are returned or given poor reviews) or sold for lower prices in their outlet shops.

Many of their customers have no internet access so maybe the T&C should be sent out as hard copies periodically. I've never had anything like this from them since I started shopping in about 93/94.

Reasons for returns noted by the customer on the return invoice aren't logged or read at the warehouse so the % of returns will include some faulty or unfit items. Unless the buyer contacts CS for a label which ensures the item is received as a faulty item at a different warehouse address.

There needs to be some clarification of the time period used for the 50% measurement: the last 3 week, 6 months or what?

Please can we have a link to the recent thread about this as it contained lots of v useful info I seem to remember; it used to be a sticky but I can't find it now? TIA

Jude xx

Last edited:
I think the key issue here is that even assuming there was a breach of the terms and conditions, the customer would have to show that they suffered loss. The only loss they have is that they can no longer shop with QVC. This can be mitigated simply by shopping elsewhere. Difficult to make out a claim there. But, to play devil's advocate and just for fun...

[I]In my opinion, the issue here is that shoppers/members are fully informed as to Q practices which might impact negatively on them. What percentage of returns over what period triggers the Letter? Does Q include all returns made by a shopping member, or does Q exclude the seven categories – for many of which a consumer has a statutory right to return - outlined in my earlier post?

Some posters who have tried to find out the answers from Q’s customer service have been informed that ALL returns are so included in the percentage.

I agree that, on the face of it, the only loss appears to be that the shopper can no longer shop with Q. However, we do not know whether the existence of a closed account remains within Q or whether the latter passes the information to external organisations.[/I]

I agree that defective products/items sent in error should not be included in the 'returned items' bracket. Items that are not fit for purpose too, although very difficult to prove.

[I]Within the first six months the onus is on the retailer to prove that the item was fit for purpose, after that the onus shifts onto the consumer.[/I]

Items which arrive outside the 5-7 day period is tricky as QVC say they AIM to deliver within that period/delivery is NORMALLY within that period. I suspect the customer would need to show that they had suffered some sort of special reliance on the delivery period (for example, Christmas decorations which do not arrive before Christmas).

[I]Agreed; ‘time of the essence’ must be made explicit at the outset.[/I]

Products which can be sold on may already be excluded, we don't know. Most companies will refund skincare items which cause adverse reactions.

The fact that the customer has not logged on and read the terms and conditions is irrelevant, isn't it? So long as the customer is referred to the full t&cs in the documentation when they join, for example if the membership card says 'full t&cs are available at www.qvcuk.com' or if this flashes up on the bottom of the TV screen occasionally (I assume the card refers people to website but haven't checked), the terms will form part of the contract.

I think it likely that many of Q’s customers have either not used Q’s website, or if they have, have used it simply to look at products. This is certainly true of the more longstanding customers. To buy from Q, you can just ring up, proffer your name and number and that’s it. Certainly, when I started shopping with Q, which was only a few years ago, no one from Q alerted me to, or informed me of, Q’s t&cs: I received my goods and a membership card.
Whether the absence of any documentation was an oversight on Q’s part, I don’t know. What I do know is that in an earlier thread, longstanding customers of Q said, too, that they had not received documentation on Q’s t&cs.

I think that it’s important to remember that many, if not most, of Q’s customers do not shop via Q’s website.[/
I]

Whether clause 9.3 (have not read the terms in full, just your paste) is too vague or not is open to debate. Yes, it does not state what it considers 'extremely high' and what it means by 'work with customers' but I don't believe it has to - it's very common for matters (esp of opinion, ie. what constitutes 'extremely high') to be left to one parties' discretion in contracts. I doubt the clause is so vague that it could not be binding and the court won't 'make up' additional terms. I think the clause is clear that these are matters within QVC's discretion.

[I]‘Extremely high’, is, in my opinion far too vague, particularly if Q seeks to rely on this to close a customer’s account. I have no idea what Q means: 40%, 50% 70% - pick a percentage at random. It’s meaningless, and made more so when one has no idea of the basic building blocks – namely the nature of the returns. Are all returns included or only those purchased, used and returned within the MBG period?

I ask again, over what period is the figure that triggers concern on the part of Q calculated? Three months, six months, one year – pick another figure at random.

How can one comply with 9.3, it being so vague?

I agree with the implication of what you say, that is, that courts are reluctant to interfere with contracts. However, that does not mean that courts never interfere. Contracts between parties of similar bargaining power eg two large organisations are treated by courts somewhat differently from those between a large organisation and an individual consumer. I would argue that it is of greater importance that a contract between a business and a consumer be clearly and unambiguously written than is the case for a contract between two businesses.

Often presenters do say 'if you return, all you lose is your p&p'. But again, as the terms and conditions are available on the website for inspection, I don't believe they are obligated to repeat them all on air. I doubt any presenter has ever said 'you can return as many items as you like', unless of course you can point the finger?

I agree that some of the sales presenters do say, “If you return, all you lose is your p&p” – Ms Young, for example. As someone who watches only a little Q, I am unable to bring to mind a presenter who has said that customers can return as many items as they like (for ever and ever). I do believe, however, that some of the more ‘enthusiastic’ sales presenters have used similar words when encouraging a potential punter to buy a particular item, say in pink, in blue, in yellow, to try on in the privacy of one’s home, and to return the items within the MBG.

Unequal bargaining power. Just because a business is dealing with a customer does not mean that every term has to objectively be deemed 'fair', which is difficult to assess anyway. Some might argue that their returns policy is already fair. The customer is forced to accept the standard terms and conditions when they choose to buy something, but they are not forced to do business with QVC in the first place and a court won't just rewrite a clause to make it more friendly to one party, consumer or not.

[I]Covered above, although the test of reasonableness would be used: what would a reasonable person think ‘extremely high’ meant? If, as some posters have contended, Q includes all returns in calculating the return rate regardless of whether the items were defective, sent in error, caused skin problems etc, would a third party consider this reasonable?

As noted above, on the occasion of the first purchase, one does not have sight of Q’s t&cs. Until a couple of years ago, most forumites were unaware of the existence of a returns rate deemed so high as to trigger threats of account closure, until some forumites posted about receiving telephone calls at inconvenient times. Subsequently, readers of the forum were directed to the t&cs on Q’s website.

I concede that customers are not forced to do business with Q, but I do not think that the customer should have to accept and comply with terms and conditions that are vague. The whole point of consumer legislation is to redress the balance between businesses and consumers, to ensure a more level playing field. I submit that if Q were persuaded to publish the returns rate which triggers account closure, and the types of returns included in the calculation, then I am sure that many members would be satisfied.[/I]

Finally, if you tried to argue that the clause should be interpretted against QVC as the party who drafted it, first you'd have to show that the clause is ambigious. The only part I think may be deemed ambigious is that QVC will 'work with the customer'. I would think a phone call or letter would qualify here, but even if no contact was made, as QVC state this is only a 'policy' of theirs, that arguably gives them some room for revising or departing from the policy. What would interpretting 'work with the customer' in favour of the customer look like? The customer can't say 'I thought it meant I'd get 5 letters from them and 3 phone calls before they cancelled my account' - it has to be what the parties had in their reasonable contemplation when they entered into the contract. As QVC can use their discretion here by virtue of the clause's language, it's a difficult argument for the customer to win.

As noted above, I consider the ‘extremely high’ rate of return to be so vague as to be beyond ambiguous - meaningless, and ‘work with the customer’ to be only marginally less so.

In my opinion, when Q started operations in this country it was open to it not to have such a comprehensive and generous MBG. But, it decided that it would have such an MBG. Being a business not a charity, it was and remains reasonably foreseeable that it would seek to limit any abuse of the MBG.

No problems so far.

When a party contracted with Q, he or she would, on being made aware of Q’s generous MBG, have reasonably contemplated that Q would have put in place procedures and practices to limit abuse, and that those procedures and practices would be clear and explicit, such that the party could comply with rules and remain a customer of Q.

I contend that the vaguely-based and arbitrary things that Q does, would not have been in the reasonable contemplation of anyone – other than Q.

Ultimately, presuming the remedy the customer wants is to continue shopping with QVC, I think the courts would be highly reluctant to force QVC to do with business with anyone unless they could show they had been specifically discriminated against. To do otherwise would interfere with the right of freedom to contract.

[I]As noted above, the law has already limited the right of a business to contract or not with a consumer. We have moved on from the days when the freedom was all on the side of the big concern.

The commercial relationships in question are not potential relationships, but, are, rather, existing relationships into which Q has freely entered.

My concern boils down to this: that Q, having made a big play of the 30 day MBG in order to gain customers, then arbitrarily – in my view – seeks to mitigate the commercial impact on Q of that MBG by lessening the ability of existing customers to use the MBG. This is unconscionable.

There is nothing to stop Q from having a stated policy which is clear, and is non-arbitrary. Q merely needs to publish the basis on which a closure of account will be threatened and/or executed.[/I]

Jay :cheeky:

Last edited:
[I]As noted above, the law has already limited the right of a business to contract or not with a consumer. We have moved on from the days when the freedom was all on the side of the big concern.

The commercial relationships in question are not potential relationships, but, are, rather, existing relationships into which Q has freely entered.

My concern boils down to this: that Q, having made a big play of the 30 day MBG in order to gain customers, then arbitrarily – in my view – seeks to mitigate the commercial impact on Q of that MBG by lessening the ability of existing customers to use the MBG. This is unconscionable.

There is nothing to stop Q from having a stated policy which is clear, and is non-arbitrary. Q merely needs to publish the basis on which a closure of account will be threatened and/or executed.[/I]

Jay :cheeky:

I think Q would probably be required to write to or call customers before cancelling their account under their current terms and conditions. However, I think it very unlikely that the court would say Q are not entitled to exercise a discretion as to whether or not to do future business with particular customers and that is what the issue boils down to - whether retailers have the right to exercise discretion or not. It will turn on the facts of each case and depend on, for example, whether a customer is consistently returning jewellery which can be sold on again or empty thorntons boxes with only the wrappers left in. It will also depend on the historical relationship with the customer. In my opinion, the court will respect the seller's right to exercise their discretion to protect their business.

Whether customers log on to the website to read the t&cs before they buy does not matter in the eyes of the law. The terms and conditions are available if the customer chooses to seek them out. When you buy something on the high street you are not handed a copy of their full terms and conditions at the till. However, you can ask for a copy and either way will still be contracting on those terms and be bound by them.

Do you know of any cases where retailers (high street or catalogue) have refused to do business with customers who (in the retailer's opinion) make excessive returns, say of clothing items and have been ordered by the court or a regulator to continue to do business with the customer because (1) the court disagrees that the level of returns is sufficiently high (frankly, the court would not be willing to make that sort of commercial judgement call) or (2) the company has not set out in their terms and conditions precisely what they consider to be an abuse of their returns policy? I can't imagine such a case ever reaching court and even if it did the court would not want to set such a precedent.

The obligation to act in good faith applies to the customer as well as the retailer and ultimately QVC's returns policy is the most generous I know of and it would be a shame if they changed it because they were prevented from stopping certain customers abusing it.

Latest posts

Back