Hard Sell

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
(mum writes)

I hope it's not just me, but are any of you getting fed up with the really hard sell from QVC now? Debbie Flint really is the worst of the lot when it comes to this. I used to like her but she's really changed since she came back to QVC. I really don't like to be preached at when it comes to buying a product or being told who to buy it for, even if I don't buy it for myself I should buy to keep in the cupboard for a gift etc.. I know if I want something or not, I don't need to be told like a naughty child. These tactics don't wash with most of the British audience and I wish they would understand that. She stood in front of the camera with the Alpha-H TSV with Michelle (?) staring in disbelief as she rattled on for several minutes as though we were going to save our souls by making a purchase. Oh please. All it made me do was reach for the remote. I prefer the gentle approach, pressure selling puts me off more quickly than anything.

Couldn't agree more, Moth. That gimlet stare straight into the camera, the low voice saying 'Get one of these quickly before they go'...it all gives me the creeps. It sometimes feels close to bullying, given that so many of the t-callers sound hopelessly meek and suggestible.

I miss Sara Griffiths - she always managed to make the item attractive without seeming to be trying to sell it to you. Although perhaps that's why she hasn't come back...

I can imagine that if you are housebound and probably not too well it must be quite easy to succumb to this sort of selling. I sometimes watch a bit of the very aptly named Kirk's Folly to laugh at the utter nafness of some of the stuff on air, but I do find it disturbing when people phone in. The callers to this particular show often mention illness and seem a bit vulnerable to the hype that the shark eyed Jenifer is peddling with her "faery dust"

I've only been watching for about a year but Debbie Flint seems to have got worse in last few months, I hate being talked to like I'm stupid! I rather liked her at first as she didn't seem to take herself too seriously and she did the sales petter in a kind of knowing/tongue-in-cheek way but lately I agree she is very hard-sell and all it does is make me rebellious and refuse to buy, so surely the relentlessness backfires for some people. Presumably it must get sales or else she wouldn't do it....so I just mute her (makes me feel powerful!).

perhaps they have targets to meet like in other selling jobs but I agree it's very off-putting...when I'm browsing in a shop I hate it when the salespeople come up and ask if you need help - but stay when you say no thank you! Soon gets rid of me!

hard sell no sell!
julia has it down to a "T" she manages to describe,give examples and relevant info without even seeming to trying to sell you something that is why she is imo the best presenter on qvc.

At the end of the day that is why they are there as they aren't firstly an entertainment program their main object is to sell all though it is more watchable if it is entertaining. I actually like Debbie as I find her informative but the bottom line is that they are all salespeople and I would imagine have sales targets. Personally I find the IW presenters the worst for hard selling, they'll tell you a POTD will probably sell out as soon as it starts and for me no one could be more hard sell than Denise. :down:

i find debbie funny as she is quite obviuos i dont ever find her offensive though just a bit tongue in cheek.

"staring in disbelief as she rattled on for several minutes as though we were going to save our souls by making a purchase"

:giggle::giggle::giggle:

I can imagine that if you are housebound and probably not too well it must be quite easy to succumb to this sort of selling. I sometimes watch a bit of the very aptly named Kirk's Folly to laugh at the utter nafness of some of the stuff on air, but I do find it disturbing when people phone in. The callers to this particular show often mention illness and seem a bit vulnerable to the hype that the shark eyed Jenifer is peddling with her "faery dust"

ok, i know i'm the only one who likes kirk's folly but in it's defence, this has struck me with almost all T callers, whatever the show - directly they get on air, they have to give the poor unsuspecting guest chapter and verse on their entire medical history. i think it's an english thing unfortunately.....:doh:

"staring in disbelief as she rattled on for several minutes as though we were going to save our souls by making a purchase"

:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Or to put it another way entirely:

"staring in disbelief as she rattled on for several minutes as though we were going to save a*seh*les by making a purchase." :wonder:

:devil:

Latest posts

Back