pewter?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loobi

Registered Shopper
Morning! anyone know anything about pewter - seeing the range gtv - how hypo-allergenic is it, does it tarnish,how hardwearing? Would we call it a precious metal?

I can only wear gold or silver- wonder if it ill turn my ears green and make them sore

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!!!!

Pewter is a base metal (not precious) and made up mostly of tin (typicaly over 90%) and then copper and other things added. Years ago it was used for drinking vessels, vases, urns etc. Whether you'll be allergic to it or not is difficult to say. Are you allergic to tin/copper? If so, you may be. I don't think it contains nickel though which is the main culprit in jewellery allergies. Tin is a soft metal (think of when you drop a can on beans on the floor and it dents) which is why other metals are added to make it more hardy. It can look lovely as you can get a really high polished finish from it so it's worth a look. I'm sure if you're allergic to the piece GemsTV will take it back. It's a new metal to them and so I'm sure they'd be lenient - after all, you haven't worn a tin of beans around your neck before have you? :grin:

I absolutely love pewter. I have quite a few pieces dotted about the house ~ candlesticks, clocks , bowls etc. I've never considered it as jewellery though! I might have to take a look!

Most "tin" cans today are made of aluminium and plastic coated inside. A very few have tin-plated steel lids. So wearing a "tin can" isn't even loosely analogous to wearing pewter !!

I saw a pair of pewter earrings being sold with little emeralds in....... but there was no mention, I don't think, of whether the shepherds' hook fittings were also pewter.

after all, you haven't worn a tin of beans around your neck before have you? :grin:[/QUOTE]

ummmm, you havent been introduced to my latest range of on trend jewellery then Meeshoo?

thanks - as always for your help ......might dip the toe in the water for a bracelet or a pendant but leave the earrings alone perhaps...might be able to make up a suite to match the baked bean can............

Most "tin" cans today are made of aluminium and plastic coated inside. A very few have tin-plated steel lids. So wearing a "tin can" isn't even loosely analogous to wearing pewter !!

I saw a pair of pewter earrings being sold with little emeralds in....... but there was no mention, I don't think, of whether the shepherds' hook fittings were also pewter.

I'm guessing you didn't get the joke then!? :giggle:

ummmm, you havent been introduced to my latest range of on trend jewellery then Meeshoo?

thanks - as always for your help ......might dip the toe in the water for a bracelet or a pendant but leave the earrings alone perhaps...might be able to make up a suite to match the baked bean can............

Well I did see the sardine key earrings and I thought they were, ummmmm, unusual. Although the spam lids as pendants were a bit large. Good luck with it though - it may take time to catch on but hey, who knows where it could lead!

Hello, I will put my nursey cap on!

Pewter is okay for most people but, as always, some will react adversely. If the findings are not silver, you can easily change these. If you are happy with earrings and want to keep them, I would recommend that you do this as a precaution before you wear them. As Meeshoo says, nickel is the mail culprit for causing irritation and swelling, bleeding etc. However, good quality manufacturers will not alloy using nickel.

Pewter feels good next to the skin, quite weighty but not over heavy. My daughter loves pewter and has quite a few pieces by a company called St. Justin. They also sell silver and bronze jewellery. The patterns are lovely, mythical, spiritual and so on. She loves the Viking pieces, she is half Swede! She also loves the Celtic pieces. I have not seen the pewter on Gems yet but will have a browse on the web.

I would say give pewter a try with Gems, after all, they have the 30 day MBG!

Inge x

I like the look of the pewter experiment. It looks very different to most other pieces of jewellery. :)

All I know about any Pewter stuff that I have , old beer tankards and an old pendant , that it is very soft metal .

The beer tankards have plenty of dents in them and the pendant has easily become mis shapen.

Latest posts

Back