Easy Pay, my eye...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Huggles

Registered Shopper
I have just checked my account and am shocked by how much has been taken off this month by my excessive buying on QVC these last few months on 'easy pay'. At the beginning of April I bought a Northern Nights duvet set on easy pay, then toward the end of the month I purchased a differant set as a 'One Time Only' and used a code given me by QVC for Easy Pay...then a Summer set of large Yankee Candles on the Royal Wedding 'Easy Pay' voucher....then I used the latest 'Easy Pay' voucher for Gems Day to purchase a Northern Nights throw in clearance that I had my eye on....eeeekkkk!!! I am totally ashamed of myself and, although I'm happy with all my purchases and none will be returned, I am appalled at how much I've spent. Lesson learnt...I'm never using 'Easy Pay' again. After this lot is paid off I'm on the wagon :doh:

The problem is the presenters do this thing where they sympathetically acknowledge times are hard for many and of course it follows in the same sentence that easy pay is the way around hard times. A couple of weeks ago I heard Julia going on about a NN set, first of all saying many people may not have the money at the moment to refresh their (usually 'tired' ) bedding, so why not get it on easy pay and that way it's affordable!. To my mind, if you're struggling financially, one of the last things you need to prioritise is replacing your bedding because it's un-coordinated, dated etc , if it's actually ready for the bin there's loads of far cheaper bedding on the high st than NN. I really couldn't be a sales person, all that insincerity and poor advice and trying to suck in vulnerable people. I know easy pay is used a lot by people who use it as a sensible means of budgeting, or for treat items, but I hate to see QVC trying to draw money out of people who haven't got it.

I have to agree with SCW , I like EP too but it's a case of budgeting with 6 mouths to feed in my house (me , him indoors & my 4 children) I have a rule that with P&P I will only do EP's of £20 & under per month per item but I always keep a record on paper of existing EP's & when they end.

At the moment I have Yankee Candle Summer Collection & Bare Escentuals Eyeshadow Collection on EP to be joined in June by the last Decleor TSV which was on EP , The BE ends this month and the YC & Decleor will both end in August...

I have a love\hate relationship with easy pay (and QVC come to think of it). It has helped me afford things I would not have been able to pay for in one chunk, e.g my Shark steam mop which I really love and could not have found £75 upfront. However it does add up and detracts from the total cost of the item, all I tend to see is the easy pay installement rather than the whole price. I too checked my account today and have 4 things on easy pay and rather regret it now as need some cash for more vital things. That's the trouble with easy pay, you get to month 3 and there is a more pressing concern for your budget that you had not planned for. As for bedding it's Dunelm for me or TKMax if I want a zillion thread count.

I have to be "in control" of my money. I don't have a problem with easy pay or credit in general but I keep a spreadsheet of my outgoings each month which includes everything I spend on my credit/debit cards. I also make a note of any easy pays that are due over the next few months. That was there are no surprises and whilst it wouldn't suit everyone it works for me.

Easy pays can definitely mount up. But just making a note of how much you owe this month, next month etc does help curb my spending.

I did forget to post that I only buy things on EP at the start of when me & him indoors get paid as (I'll confess as the world is supposed to end in 35 minutes time) I've left myself short after purchasing the Liz Earle TSV a fortnight ago (whoops) so I'm really hoping Friday comes around quick.

Oh 'eck...

I did forget to post that I only buy things on EP at the start of when me & him indoors get paid as (I'll confess as the world is supposed to end in 35 minutes time) I've left myself short after purchasing the Liz Earle TSV a fortnight ago (whoops) so I'm really hoping Friday comes around quick.

Ooooh, I'd forgotten about that......it has just gone a bit dark outside! :eek:

Though at the time of purchase I diligently record all the EP's, by the time the third month comes around.....
I've completely forgotten what they were for!
Ummmmm......:blush:

I never get them a few days away from pay day, too close to the knuckle for me, so I am capable of controlling myself. However I do tend to lose track of how many I have on the go and should start writing them down. I wish they would show them on our accounts on line.

Easy Pay, ha should be called "easy sway"

Well it's still here - bummer I'll have to pay this months credit card bill now! :down:

(mum writes)

I keep a written note of all my EPs but I find that payments tend not to be taken from the bank at the time you expect - it's usually a few days later and then it takes a couple of days for my bank to actually show the transaction. That means I'm usually left wondering what that mysterious random payment was for and have to trawl through my account history to match it up. Giving us more details on the "my account" section on the website would really help. Hint hint QVC :) I've not learnt my lesson though, well not totally. I still use EP but not half as much as I used to.

unforeseen things can happen that you might just not have included in your calculations, and if you are already in a situation were you need to watch the cash very carefully having easy pay items can really make things difficult. The question I ask myself: QVC is not a charity, so why are they offering easy pay? To suck you in?

It is easy to lose track of how much you spend with Easy Pay so Ive learnt to use it with caution. But if you forget how much you've spent on Easy Pay I don't think you can blame the presenters or QVC for offering Easy Pay in the first place and suggesting spreading the cost over a few months might be a good idea if the item you want to buy is too expensive to buy in one go. That's not 'insincere' of the presenters as someone suggested. I really think we all need to take responaibility for our own spending and debts and stop blaming them on other people. If the credit crunch and recession taught us anything it's that.

It is easy to lose track of how much you spend with Easy Pay so Ive learnt to use it with caution. But if you forget how much you've spent on Easy Pay I don't think you can blame the presenters or QVC for offering Easy Pay in the first place and suggesting spreading the cost over a few months might be a good idea if the item you want to buy is too expensive to buy in one go. That's not 'insincere' of the presenters as someone suggested. I really think we all need to take responaibility for our own spending and debts and stop blaming them on other people. If the credit crunch and recession taught us anything it's that.

I agree but another big lesson learnt was that the lenders of credit had to act more morally and responsible, there are a lot of people out there who do get sucked in when credit is too easily offered .

I agree with you up to a point WR but the fact is, there are people who aren't in control of their finances/spending and the easy credit offered by a 'friendly face' from the comfort of your own home when you've had a couple of vinos can be overwhelmingly tempting.
Personally if I can't afford something there and then I would rather wait till I have the money than pay on credit.
To me it's irresponsible and disingenuous to see the way they really push it, especially considering the economic climate and
I hate the way they almost make it sound as if you're getting the item for just the one payment!

I agree but another big lesson learnt was that the lenders of credit had to act more morally and responsible, there are a lot of people out there who do get sucked in when credit is too easily offered .

So what you are saying is that QVC shouldn't offer Easy Pay? If so, then you are denying many shoppers a benefit they really appreciate because a minority of shoppers don't have the self-control to shop within their means.

If that's not what you're saying, then what exactly are you saying? How could QVC 'act more morally and responsibly' when offering Easy Pay? Do you expect them to run debt helpline numbers along the bottom of the screen when they offer it? It's very clear when you use Easy Pay that you will have to pay the remaining instalments. If you don't have the necessary self-control you should turn the TV off.

I agree with you up to a point WR but the fact is, there are people who aren't in control of their finances/spending and the easy credit offered by a 'friendly face' from the comfort of your own home when you've had a couple of vinos can be overwhelmingly tempting.
Personally if I can't afford something there and then I would rather wait till I have the money than pay on credit.
To me it's irresponsible and disingenuous to see the way they really push it, especially considering the economic climate and
I hate the way they almost make it sound as if you're getting the item for just the one payment!

Wow. We really do live in a 'I'll blame everyone else for my problems but not myself' culture, don't we? If you get drunk and do things you regret then it really is your own fault! If you don't have any self-control with your finances then cut up your credit card and get help. QVC is a shopping channel, it's not there to stop stupid people from running up debts!

Latest posts

Back