noble red spinel

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Springflower

Registered Shopper
Could somebody with more knowledge than I, please explain to me why the lovely John is wittering on about this RARE, RARE, RARE gem which weighs in at an enormous "just over a carat" and is saying that it's rarer than rubies. I would like to know to which ruby is he referring, I didn't think Burmese could be bettered and how can precious be compared with semi precious? Also, if there is a spinel in the Crown jewels at one carat wouldn't it be like looking for a needle in a haystack?

Hi Springflower, the noble red Spinel John referred to is called the Black Prince's Ruby, as it was always thought to be
a ruby. Link below for more details on its history, size etc. It is very rare to see such a Spinel on shopping channels,
can't remember when I last saw one and also a full carat for any Spinel is pretty unusual. The Chinese market went mad for Spinel some years back and so hiked up the prices and its general availability.....sadly!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Prince's_Ruby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_State_Crown

Last edited:
Springflower, the distinction between 'precious' and 'semi-precious' gemstones is no longer officially recognised, since so-called 'semi-precious' gems are very often rarer and more valuable than emerals, rubies or sapphires.

A noble red spinel would certainly be rarer than a ruby; I imagine a top quality Burmese ruby of a similar carat weight would be more expensive, but a spinel would still be rarer. How they would compare in terms of beauty is of course a matter of opinion.

Thank you Miss Magpie and Sacha for the information and congrats on becoming famous Miss M. Regarding spinel, my!!! haven't times changed!!! I remember, as a child eagerly anticipating the arrival of the new mail order catalogue and turning first to the jewellery!!! In those days there were spinels aplenty and always at the "budget" end, set in very flimsy settings of rolled gold or anything that after a while, would make ones finger black. So you can see, that from very early on, the impression was formed in my young mind, that spinel was just for those people who couldn't afford the "real" thing and, to my shame, until today I've always been sneery enough about it to avoid considering it as a "proper" gem......which all goes to prove that one is never to old to learn. Thankyou for erasing fifty years of ignorance!!!

Like Springflower, I also grew up believing spinel to be a poor quality gemstone, or maybe even a manmade stone.
I was very fortunate to be left my great aunts engagement ring which has the most beautiful bright pink stone in it, which, until recently I really didn't realise that it's a spinel. It's really beautiful.:rock:

Latest posts

Back