Princess Diana Tribute ....... a new low from Bid TV

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

fulhamphil

Registered Shopper
Hawking worthless tat on the back of what would have been Diana's 50th birthday :talking: Absolutely shameless :down:

I've never watched this channel before and came across the 'tribute' by accident. None of the items I saw (in the 15 minutes I could stomach it) bore any ressemblance to any jewellery belonging to, or inspired by Princess Diana. Even worse the presenter (who I think I may have seen on a children's tv show 20 years or so ago, although can't remember which one, or his name) kept stumbling over his words. Several times he referred to 'Princess Diane' and even to 'Kate Middleton the Princess of Cambridge'. It was shockingly bad. He also kept going on about 'a unique piece of jewellery' and then noted they only had 24 left. Not, what I would call, unique.

I've never watched this channel before and came across the 'tribute' by accident. None of the items I saw (in the 15 minutes I could stomach it) bore any ressemblance to any jewellery belonging to, or inspired by Princess Diana. Even worse the presenter (who I think I may have seen on a children's tv show 20 years or so ago, although can't remember which one, or his name) kept stumbling over his words. Several times he referred to 'Princess Diane' and even to 'Kate Middleton the Princess of Cambridge'. It was shockingly bad. He also kept going on about 'a unique piece of jewellery' and then noted they only had 24 left. Not, what I would call, unique.

It sounds like it could only be Peter Simon aka Prat of the parish

Amazing what people will try and sell to make a quick profit.
Are there no lows they will descend to?

1st it was the Marie Curie Cancer Trust exploitation

2nd it was the Rembrance Sunday exploitation

Now it's exploitation of Princess Diana's 'Birthday'

It's in very bad taste selling products on the misfortune of other people. :down:

1st it was the Marie Curie Cancer Trust exploitation

2nd it was the Rembrance Sunday exploitation

Now it's exploitation of Princess Diana's 'Birthday'

It's in very bad taste selling products on the misfortune of other people. :down:

I understand how people are unhappy about the Marie Curie, due to the low amount of profit going to charity, and rememberance sunday, but Princess Diana was in the news a lot, and people do like her things, and collect such objects, so bid tv are helping out their collectable fans really.

- I wouldn't say it was tat. - They had DVD's of her, her Royal Daulton figurine Etc, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Bid tv have recently launched a 'colectables club', so you will probably see more events like this in the future.

I don't think that bid tv are doing anything wrong with what they done last night, as they were collectables (like the figurine) and people do buy DVD's of her, so I suppose on the 50th Anniversary, it was a good time to do it.

Just my opinion.

I understand how people are unhappy about the Marie Curie, due to the low amount of profit going to charity, and rememberance sunday, but Princess Diana was in the news a lot, and people do like her things, and collect such objects, so bid tv are helping out their collectable fans really.

- I wouldn't say it was tat. - They had DVD's of her, her Royal Daulton figurine Etc, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Bid tv have recently launched a 'colectables club', so you will probably see more events like this in the future.

I don't think that bid tv are doing anything wrong with what they done last night, as they were collectables (like the figurine) and people do buy DVD's of her, so I suppose on the 50th Anniversary, it was a good time to do it.

Just my opinion.

I agree with you, there are a lot of people out there who collect royal memorabillia, and to me would seen quite right/natural to jump on the 50th birthday bandwagon. I thought the ring and earrings were very much inspired by Diana. Didn't see all of the show but did say the pen seemed a bit tacky, but each to ones own.

To be honest, I don't know what jewellery she wears, but after googling it, the designs she wore, and bid were selling were very similar. Did all of you who are complaining actually see the event, or just going on somebodys word?

Well I suppose flogging some tacky looking earrings loosely based on Diana's engagement ring may be some peoples idea of a 'tribute' but it certainly isn't mine. The silly old fart presenting couldn't even get her name right for goodness sake!

Well I suppose flogging some tacky looking earrings loosely based on Diana's engagement ring may be some peoples idea of a 'tribute' but it certainly isn't mine. The silly old fart presenting couldn't even get her name right for goodness sake!

Exactly. The whole concept is trashy.

Did you all see the tribute?

What was wrong with the items like the figuring and DVD's then?

I don't see bid tv doing anythng wrong in my eyes...they are selling things which people want, and have probably asked for.

Please tell me WHY you think it is so bad.

Of course it's trashy, it's bid tv - would you expect anything else?

If people want to buy this tat, and if they are taken in by the idea of this being a 'tribute', then good on Bid TV. As I've said before, Bid TV is a public channel selling mostly rubbish - if people want to buy it then its their prerogative.

Bid TV has one goal - to make profit. They are VERY good at it. If you're sucked in by cheap 'Diana Tribute' jewellery, then Bid TV deserve to take you're money IMO.

Of course it's trashy, it's bid tv - would you expect anything else?

If people want to buy this tat, and if they are taken in by the idea of this being a 'tribute', then good on Bid TV. As I've said before, Bid TV is a public channel selling mostly rubbish - if people want to buy it then its their prerogative.

Bid TV has one goal - to make profit. They are VERY good at it. If you're sucked in by cheap 'Diana Tribute' jewellery, then Bid TV deserve to take you're money IMO.

Thats why I asked if you saw the tribute....because you are just now making assumptions. I buy from the channels frequently, and nothing I've bought has been tat. Without even watching it, how do you know it was tat?

Why don't you air your opinions on their facebook page? Bid tv has changed, as they listen to the viewers. Do you remember the £4.99 P&P they had for a month? It was down to the facebook page, and they do listed in getting things sorted there, and you get a very fast response.

You say ''Bid TV has one goal - to make profit.'' Isn't that what Idealworld and QVC have in mind? Does that mean they sell 100% tat?

I'm not sure the last time you saw bid tv, but in the last few months they have changed quite a bit, including doing many live demonstrations on tv, (which people aksed for on facebook btw)

- It amazes me how you are moaning about bid tv's tribute event, eventhough you didn't see it!

I didnt watch the so-called 'tribute' and I dont think it would have been a tribute anyway for one second - it would have been the standard Peter Simon rhetoric. Ben is right, they are all in it to make profit - they are businesses... end of! However, IMHO, the sit up channels do sell utter utter crap with genuinly extortionate postage and call charges - I know for a fact these are continually bought up on their facebook pages yet they still do jack about it - so they dont actually listen to their customers Ben, sorry. I hate the fact that they say something, for example, is "just two fivers" yet they fail to mention the aforementioned p&p and call charges!

As I have said many times in the past I absolutely hate the sh!t up channels - they sell crap and have the worst presenter - Mark 'the bigot' Ryes - a truly despicable excuse for a human being! BTW, I dont watch the channels anymore and I also appreciate that the channels are not forcing anyone to buy their crap and its down to choice at the end of the day!

IMHO, the sit up channels do sell utter utter crap with genuinly extortionate postage and call charges - I know for a fact these are continually bought up on their facebook pages yet they still do jack about it - so they dont actually listen to their customers Ben, sorry.

Fair quote. But to be fair to sit-up, lots of their products sell below cost (even if it is only a pound or two) but I take it, that is where they make most of their money.

I think, if their P&P was £3.99 and the phonecall was 10p per minute, they wouldn't last.

I remember when they had 1/3 off P&P and off phone calls for 1 month, and within a week, the phonecall was back up to £1.50 from £1 WHY? Because they were loosing so much money from it!

They do sell some good items, if you agree or not it is up to you.

This is how I think of it (it isnt like this, but its how I think)

QVC: Harrods
Ideal World: Argos
Sit-up.tv : QD (bargain shop)

They all have their own market, and I don't watch QVC because I like a baragin!! - And to be fair, bid tv do have a fair share of them. (and not all of their products are in the bargain section)

- QVC sell many Sony TV's, while Bid tv sell many Akura branded tv's WHY? QVC want the best quality, without a care in the world about the price, while bid tv want good quality at fantastic prices, so they go for less known brands.

I got a 22" akura TV with built in freeview/dvd player for £1 in a megadrop, and it was really good quality, and would be happy to have paid £100+ for it.

Thats why I asked if you saw the tribute....because you are just now making assumptions. I buy from the channels frequently, and nothing I've bought has been tat. Without even watching it, how do you know it was tat?

Why don't you air your opinions on their facebook page? Bid tv has changed, as they listen to the viewers. Do you remember the £4.99 P&P they had for a month? It was down to the facebook page, and they do listed in getting things sorted there, and you get a very fast response.

You say ''Bid TV has one goal - to make profit.'' Isn't that what Idealworld and QVC have in mind? Does that mean they sell 100% tat?

I'm not sure the last time you saw bid tv, but in the last few months they have changed quite a bit, including doing many live demonstrations on tv, (which people aksed for on facebook btw)

- It amazes me how you are moaning about bid tv's tribute event, eventhough you didn't see it!

I did see a bit of it - I think I stomached about 20 mins or so before it all became a bit too nauseating. I do consider a lot of what they sell to be tat; it sometimes comes across like a market stall flogging everything and anything. I'd say most of the products I see them selling are lowest-common-denominator market stall crap. Not having a go at Bid TV, they have an audience and make their profit.

I'm not moaning about bid tv, it honestly doesn't concern me that much to complain. I've watched it for a few mins a day for many years and enjoy how it can be entertaining - I think Peter Simon is a living legend. But I'm also amazed at how many people buy from Sit-Up.

The Diana show was cheap, crass and trashy - it was the very essence of Sit-Up.

I've not seen this because we have stopped watching and buying from situps. Does anyone else remember just after Di died they had her face on a tub of marg in the supermarkets? Raising money for her memorial charity I think. There was such a hooha over it they had to remove the photo.

Latest posts

Back