Induction Hob

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Piecan

Seriously Fluffy
If I didn't already own one of these, I'd buy this! This one is a good price too. It's great for quickly browning stuff before putting in a slow cooker or Remoska, or doing a quick fry up.

do you think this could replace a microwave if all you use a microwave for is warming up tins of beans and soup stuff?

Yes if you don't use your microwave for cooking pre cooked meals, jacket potatoes etc then you could easily heat things up quickly on it. You just have to have a suitable pan for induction.

I have just ordered mine ,I have been after one for ages in fact ever since I saw them been demonstrated on Ideal World but as I no longer order from them on principle I have had to wait, This looks like really good value as well ,as all the others I have seen have been in the £60.00 to £70.00 range. So I am looking forward to receiving it and trying it out.

I got the previous Prima model from Bid/PriceDrop for £23 including P&P. The TSV is better because its lowest setting is 60deg, mine's is 70deg which is sightly too high for simmering, but I add a drop or two of oil to the water to prevent boiling over.

One reason the Prima is cheaper is that it does not have a ceramic surface, it's Crystallite, which is some sort of strong plastic. It marks more easily than ceramic, so be careful if using Le Creuset and suchlike.

A bonus with the TSV is the 3-hour timer, the 'old' one only does up to 1 hour. The timer is terrific for me as I am so forgetful.

I love my induction hob so much that I've just bought a full-size one to replace my gas hob - don't worry girls, it's secondhand and comes ready scratched and chipped, so I don't have to worry about spoiling a brand new glossy one.

I think the TSV is great.

clemenzina

I said when I saw it I wish you could get a whole hob, where did you get yours Clemenzina?

thanks all i was looking at these before. Does it save elec as they say as you only use the power you need instantly?

I know certain pots don't work on induction hobs, does anyone know if the ones I have work, they are stainless steel with a capsule base stuck on - if you know what I mean????????????? I found similar cooks essentials ones on the website but they make no mention of induction hob use.
Thanks

That is a great price.

Sutheli my main hob is an induction hob and all my pans (which are stainless steel and non-stick) work fine on it. I understand that it is aluminium that they don't like.

I know certain pots don't work on induction hobs, does anyone know if the ones I have work, they are stainless steel with a capsule base stuck on - if you know what I mean????????????? I found similar cooks essentials ones on the website but they make no mention of induction hob use.
Thanks

I think you can check if they are suitable by trying to place a magnet to the bottom of the pan - it the magnet sticks you are OK, if not, then it would not work. Something like a fridge magnet would probably be OK. I thought I'd heard this mentioned on IW at some point but maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.

I think you can check if they are suitable by trying to place a magnet to the bottom of the pan - it the magnet sticks you are OK, if not, then it would not work. Something like a fridge magnet would probably be OK. I thought I'd heard this mentioned on IW at some point but maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Absolutely right Lioness:D

Ooooh think I will have to order one of these the demonstration looked very impressive but you've all swung it for me thank you guys

I would love to get this but no funds! I have one I got from JML and love it, but obviously it's one pan at a time, if i have more i have to put on my cruddy electric hob and I hate it. I found my cooks essentials are fine on it but my old stainless steel pans would not work on it.

I have an Ikea stainless steel pasta/stockpot which will not work :(, and the early batch of QVC's Technique hard-anodised aluminium will not work but they've since modified the range (Technique II) to include a "ferrous" base (like the Marco Pierre White darkish grey range) and it's fine for induction. The lovely pans made of sand are no good - why didn't they put some iron in the bottom? :mad:

If stainless steel pans have aluminium or copper bases (better heat conductors than steel, so for other types of hob that's good) they won't work on induction. It's obvious if you've got a copper bottom :eek: but not if it's aluminium, so you need to check with a magnet.

Cast iron (Le Creuset, for example) is fine, but make sure the base is nice and smooth or it will scratch.

That's all "to the best of my knowledge".

clemenzina

I had a similar induction hob that i bought from Ideal World and it was great. Sadly, it got burned when i had my kitchen fire but when I get my kitchen replaced, I am putting the extra to and having a full induction hob. ( Can't bear the thought of having gas in the kitchen again, don't want to see open flames again)

This one from QVC is a good price and I'm sure you will not be disappointed. They do heat up very quickly and are ideal as a spare / additional hob.

I got 2 from IW and they are used daily, I moved house recently and the house had a brand new ceramic hob, but I still prefer my induction cookers:D

Latest posts

Back