It's a quid!!!!!!...Er no it isn't!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I'm thinking this subject's probably been "done to death", but with this so called "Warehouse clearance" on...I'm finding myself more and more irritated by this.

When I buy anything from the Sit ups, I make sure I order online, to save the price of the phone call, and factor in the price of the postage and packaging which at £7.99 is pretty much the highest in the business....if after this , I still think the item's a bargain, then I'll buy it.

A lot of things in the last few days have gone for a quid, mostly carp,Yet the bloke's jumping up and down chanting in the most moronic fashion, very annoying, but when the product's a set of two heart shaped ramekins (aka mini casseroles!) you could easily pick up in any high street clearance .It's not exactly a bargain when you add another nine quid plus £1.53 to call...You would end up paying over a tenner...I wouldn't spend a tenner on a couple of ramekins (heart shaped, or otherwise!)

The other thing that made me laugh is how they were banging on about something being 24 carat gold, and "haute couiture" Basically it was a tatty gold plated necklace that ended up going for about £3..well a tenner...again could have been picked up for less on the high street.

I wish they'd do a special rate on mega drops and not charge any p&p...so a quid really means a quid!...pigs will fly first me thinks!

It's a quid!!!!!!...Er no it isn't!!!

I agree Merryone, they never ever seem to add the p&p. I have only bid twice on price drop... once for a bale of towels which I did think were a bargain, and once I won a £1 price drop which they never honoured, that was the end of the bid-up game for me. Imho when you add the p&p there isn't anything worth bidding on.

Andy Hodgson said this afternoon "You are getting this for nothing". Now call me picky but Peter Simon likes to tell us "If I say that price I have to sell it at that" so surely Mr Hodgson should have gave them away for nothing as he said.

A lot of the going for a quid stuff are also sold in street markets for a quid too, but no postage. We are lucky to have a B&M in our town and the situps solar lights 'bargains' are usually on sale for half the price of situps and also no postage. A few years ago bid was selling rush floor lamps for around £15 I think. They were £10 a pair in one of our shops.

Don't be so vague Greg: say what you mean! :giggle:

I've never been tempted to buy anything from sit-up.tv; not even for someone I really hated :nod:

Shopping with sit ups is ok, as long as you shop smart!

My tips are don't be sucked in by their designer labels on clothing and jewellery....eg, Tommy & Kate, Fletcher & Lowe, Christin Lars...the quality of the stuff may be ok, but you're not getting yourself a designer label for a bargain price...they're exclusive to Pricedrop et al.

Buy from the website where ever you can, you'll save yourself the price of the phonecall straight away. You'll also avoid all the moronic "whooping", over excitement & hype that could lead you not only into buying something you don't really
want but paying over the odds for it. More often than not when you see something you fancy being sold on the telly, when you look it up on their website the price is lower and still dropping.

The main one as I said before is the P&P, if it's still a bargain after £8's added to the price then buy it. Like Tasi said a lot of the clearance stuff really wouldn't be out of place in the local pound shop.

I don't expect them to lower their P&P as I guess with the nature of their channels they need to set it quite high, but it really wouldn't hurt when they are doing Mega drops to lose the postage and make a pound mean a pound.....or only do them on decent stuff!

To be fair you wouldn't expect Sainsbury's to tell you it's £5 to get the bus there and back if you went for a product so why should Sit-up tell you it costs you £7.99 to get the items to your house.

Should Sainsburys say this CD is £7.99 or should they say it's £7.99 plus £5 travel.

Just a thought I know the p&p is annoying but people forget they have to pay to goto B&M or wherever.

Well a head's up that I made a complaint to the ASA last month after I was watching Speed Auction TV and the presenter was banging on about "all your paying is a pound" - obviously that isn't all you're paying, nearlly 10 times that with the phone call included with postage!

I've not heard back from the ASA yet and with it being a month since complaining, I'd hazzard a safe guess we'll be seeing an upheld summary coming soon.

:happy:

To be fair you wouldn't expect Sainsbury's to tell you it's £5 to get the bus there and back if you went for a product so why should Sit-up tell you it costs you £7.99 to get the items to your house.

Should Sainsburys say this CD is £7.99 or should they say it's £7.99 plus £5 travel.

Just a thought I know the p&p is annoying but people forget they have to pay to goto B&M or wherever.

Except Sainsbury's and B&M don't add your travel costs on to every item you purchase from them, regardless of whether you buy multiples at once. One travel cost pays for a whole shopping trip.

Unlike the sit-up channels, where p&p is charged per item, with no discounts for bulk purchases.

Not really 'cause you have the choice to walk, however near or far it is! Or take a bus quite often really is a "nominal amount"!

I shop at Sainsbury's every week. They don't charge me £10 extra on every item I buy. Would you pay the price of half a dozen eggs, plus £10 on top? Just imagine the profit they would make on a week's groceries if they charged another 10 quid per item on a trolly load.

Sorry I'll reply again to this one as I made a bit of a mess of it before.

I don't really think that the Supermarket/high street comparison works, as a bus/taxi fare or petrol money is not an essential extra it's useful but like I said before you have the choice of walking, may get a lift from someone, have a bus pass, and true enough if you do end up paying for your travel and parking you pay once and take home as much, or as little as you wish. You'll probably also find that if you were to buy a big or bulky item that the store will deliver it to your home for free!

If their p&p costs were nominal it wouldn't be so bad, but £8 is a lot of money ...no wonder they keep it quiet they hope in all the excitement that you won't notice how much it racks the cost up. The channels that do deals on p&p, pretty much always mention it...eg IW cap the p&p, some places do it per order. Just think the sit ups need to have a few "real deals" to give them something worth hyperventilating about!

They will never reduce post and packing unless the Realtor steps in. Like the phone charge it is where they make their profirs. This nonsense of "phone lines are locked. If you ring you will still be charged proves the scam.

Latest posts

Back