Price Promise - It Doesn't Apply To Clearance Auctions

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Miss Kitty

AKA Broomstick Babe
Hmmmm. Tried to price promise on a ring I paid £30 more for and was told that the promise does not apply to clearance auctions.

Another making it up as we go along rule? I've NEVER heard it's limits mentioned before apart from having to claim within one hour.

Either it's the lowest price or it isn't. I don't like it when companies quibble about their guarantees.

Miss Kitty I quite agree with you
I would E-mail steve or sarah and see what they have to say (it maybe the cs people got it wrong)

I am sure I have seen them claim during a clearance hour the usual spiel about "if you paid considerably more than this then blah blah"

PJ

Hi Miss Kitty,

It's Jayne Sankey the Customer Experience Manager @ Gems.tv.

The operator you spoke to was correct in what they told you.

Please refer to the Terms & conditions on the website:-

Life-time lowest price guarantee

8.1 If you subsequently see the exact same piece of jewellery for sale for less on any of our auction TV channels or websites and notify us immediately, we will happily credit your account with the difference between the price paid and the later price. This guarantee is for items purchased in our auctions only and does not apply where the subsequent sale is part of a clearance, or where it is the sale of seconds or ex-demo items.

This refers to the website auction clearance,sorry if this has caused some confusion.

Jayne

Last edited:
Hi Miss Kitty,

It's Jayne Sankey the Customer Experience Manager @ Gems.tv.

The operator you spoke to was correct in what they told you.

Please refer to the Terms & conditions on the website:-

Life-time lowest price guarantee

8.1 If you subsequently see the exact same piece of jewellery for sale for less on any of our auction TV channels or websites and notify us immediately, we will happily credit your account with the difference between the price paid and the later price. This guarantee is for items purchased in our auctions only and does not apply where the subsequent sale is part of a clearance, or where it is the sale of seconds or ex-demo items.

This refers to the website auction clearance,sorry if this has caused some confusion.

Jayne

Crikey I really thought the operator must have made a mistake, so it really isn't a price promise.

presume this must have changed recently then - remember the kama charm clearance/sale a few weeks ago? with adele? both she and sheridan (sure that was the producer who came on - if not her then another producer) announced that there would be price promises on most items...and that was a sale/clearance - in fact a mega song and dance was made of this to promote the hour........

but moving on - isnt every hour a clearance or sale these days? I agree makes it a worthless promise these days as the only time prices go any lower is the odd time they call it a sale.....most auctions are now pegged at a price and stop there

Jayne, can you confirm how long this has been policy for, because as you can see both myself and others have recently heard presenter talk about the price pledge including clearance prices. If you have changed it recently then please will you consider changing back, if you haven't changed it then I can see many people calling the ASA and/or OffCom.

PJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this has changed recently, then I presume that any pieces bought prior to the change would still be subject to the Price Pledge under the original terms?

Just been catching up with this thread. I could be wrong but isn't it just the "clearance auctions" on the web that the Price Pledge is not applicable to?

Just been catching up with this thread. I could be wrong but isn't it just the "clearance auctions" on the web that the Price Pledge is not applicable to?

That is how I read it Sazza. As far as I can remember the price promise was always on live auctions only with the web ones excluded - from the old Rocks days.

Hi All,

Just to clarify as there still seems to be a bit of confusion.

Price pledge is given on TV Live Clearance Auctions.

The Gems Website Clearance Auction is the only auction we do not offer pricepledge.

So if you are watching Gems tv or Gems Extra live TV clearance auctions you will be eligible for price pledge if the price goes lower than you paid.

Hope this is a bit clearer now.

Jayne

Hmmmm. Tried to price promise on a ring I paid £30 more for and was told that the promise does not apply to clearance auctions.

Another making it up as we go along rule? I've NEVER heard it's limits mentioned before apart from having to claim within one hour.

Either it's the lowest price or it isn't. I don't like it when companies quibble about their guarantees.

Miss K,

Was the lower price you saw on a website clearance or on the TV live auction?

PJ

Website - which is fine but I think Gems should make it a bit clearer in the t&cs as we all seem to have been a little confused.

I would like to thank Gems who have been very proactive and taken the time to post on here - which is great.

I'll be honest about this - if I go into John Lewis and buy an item, I wouldn't expect them to price promise that item if it then went into the sale at a later date.

I do agree that GemsTV needs to be more explicit and clear about policies which would eradicate the confusion!

I see that Meeshoo, none of us would, unless of course John Lewis (other shops available) made a huge sales pitch and all danced around shouting it from the roof then I would expect them to honour that pledge. Deciding what actually constitutes a "sale" on Gemstv these days is tricky even for the expert viewer to fathom! Most of us spotting clearance in John Lewis window (other shops available!!) would rush in with our purses clutched to our bosums expecting significantly lower prices. This is an point may of us have expressed confusion on - agree totally clarity and lack of blurred edges need to help us out.

I totally agree Loobi. It needs clarity - which is lacking. Unfortunately the price pledge has always been one that's been blurred at the edges - and I go back years with this. Even when Steve A was around, the sales and price pledge (although it was called something different then but for the life of me I can't remember what!) was confusing.

Latest posts

Back