Glass pearls

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

poly

Registered Shopper
Brigg, North Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
I recently bought a necklace described as fresh water pearls and its not the pearls are glass with plastic coating. this is my last eaver purchase from TJC. They must be on their way out, selling brass ans copper with gold or platinum.
I have sent them an email but don't have any hopes of a satisfactory reply.

here is the reply from TJC on selling fakes
Thank you for your email.

I have passed on your comments to our Management Team in regards to the email you have sent.

I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

not only is it not fresh water pearls its not hematite its black glass faceted beads. and they don't care they are selling fakes
can anyone tell me which authority I should report them to?

Hi Poly,

I was shocked to read your post. In the past TJC have always admitted that an item they're selling is brass, glass, tin or whatever. This may have been a single 'clerical error' or, as you say, they're on the way out. We may need to get the testing kit out if and when we buy any jewellery from them.

With regard to reporting them to an authority, it used to be trading standards, although I'm not sure if a broadcasting authority is appropriate in this case.

Imitation pearls have been on the market for years. Do you have the item number or the link to the item you bought please? I'm wondering if it says anything in the details that may help. If it was sold as "[place name] pearls" it could be an imitation.

You may find this interesting:

http://www.pearl-guide.com/imitation-pearls.shtml

Was sold as fresh water pearls no location, I sent them another email threatening ASA and got a phone call saying they are shell pearls not glass and they have amended all items from this supplier to shell pearls. I have no experience of shell pearls but these pearls are very spherical and the coating peels off just like glass pearls.
in the phone call they said to dispose of thiem however i wanted and they have refunded the cost and p&p I have copied the order below from my confirmation email

Order Code: 0002193374 Order Date: 19/07/2011
Item Code Image ItemDescription Quantity Price(?)
856401 Karis Fresh Water White Pearl (160.00 Ct),Hematite Platinum Bond Copper Necklace (Size 36) 230.000 Ct.
1 9.95

Dunno if I'm right, but I'd sort of assumed 'freshwater pearls' were a glass bead, placed inside a mussel for a couple of days to acquire a waffer-thin coating of pearl, then dipped in dye....?

Selling black glass as haematite, now that's TOTALLY unacceptable!

http://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/ProductDetail.aspx?StockCode=856401

Here's the link for your item.

If you paid £10 for these then I think it's fair to assume they wouldn't be natural pearls ALTHOUGH I understand that the description should have been clear that these were shell pearls. Shells are used to create pearl type jewellery I'm afraid and it's really not fair to market shell pearls without disclosing that point. Having said that at least TJC have amended the descriptions now (although I appreciate it's far too late for you). I hope they've written to all customers who have bought them as well so they can be refunded if they want.

As for black glass being haematite? I'm confused. The description says "haematite" so I'm assuming that's correct and that it's the mineral form of iron rather than glass?????

I think the hematite is glass because its not cold like natural stones it has a warmth like glass beads . Either way I've had my money back. As for real pearls for £10 I have had pearls for that price from TJC in the past, so had no reason to question these, granted not top quality but didn't expect them to be for that price.

I think the hematite is glass because its not cold like natural stones it has a warmth like glass beads . Either way I've had my money back. As for real pearls for £10 I have had pearls for that price from TJC in the past, so had no reason to question these, granted not top quality but didn't expect them to be for that price.

Hi Poly, I am glad that you got your money back, here is an explanation of Hematite, it not glass its a mineral and I own lots of pieces that I bought in the West Indies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hematite

Latest posts

Back