10' Ocean Netbook

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

PJ.

In an Ideal World ...
I missed the first few seconds but as far as I can see apart from telling us what you can do on it and the screen size, they haven't said any of the specs. What processor, how much ram? How much storage? Didn't seem to sell well and I think that is why. Didn't say it was only Windows CE. Hmm

PJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, they sold something similar for ages last year (or early this year?) didnt they? Making false claims like its the fastest laptop etc etc. It aint even a laptop - its a piece of chav **** that runs Windows CE! And I'm assuming this new POS is the same and I also assume they are making the same claims, oooppss I mean lies. I reported them for this but as usual the ASA did bugger all about it! How they are allowed to continually get away with all this is beyond me!

Yeah, they sold something similar for ages last year (or early this year?) didnt they? Making false claims like its the fastest laptop etc etc. It aint even a laptop - its a piece of chav **** that runs Windows CE! And I'm assuming this new POS is the same and I also assume they are making the same claims, oooppss I mean lies. I reported them for this but as usual the ASA did bugger all about it! How they are allowed to continually get away with all this is beyond me!

thats coincidence, i was actually going to complain about the presentation of this the other night on price drop.tv but when i went ot the website it looked so complex to complain i didnt bother, and then i also wondered if i could complain even if i had not bought it.

when i was watching this young guy presenting it, he said it was a laptop, even though its a netbook, then proceeded to say that if you want into dixons or currys and asked for a reasonably priced laptop it would cost you over 600 quid. what bull.

i noticed the presentation i watche3d they were obsessed with saying how quick microsoft word launched but ran nothing else. as someone said above they did not mention the spec or anything. i thought to compare it to a laptop was misleading, as i have a netbook (its what im typing on right now) and it has it limitations and sometimes i wish i still had a regular laptop.

There is nothing wrong with that if you want to type the odd letter and the odd email if you are on a tight budget, but please sell it like that I stead of trying to make it out to be like an iPad (they did before) or a laptop.

PJ

i noticed the presentation i watche3d they were obsessed with saying how quick microsoft word launched but ran nothing else. as someone said above they did not mention the spec or anything. i thought to compare it to a laptop was misleading, as i have a netbook (its what im typing on right now) and it has it limitations and sometimes i wish i still had a regular laptop.

It isn't even Microsoft Word, it's Word Pad which I don't think was written by Microsoft either; a program which is very unlikely to be able to cope with anything but the simplest of Word documents, so that claim alone should be enough to get them into trouble with the Advertising Standards Authority. Certain presenters seem to pretend that they "can't make stuff up because we'd get into very serious trouble if we did"; it's more like what they can get away with saying...

Put simply, unless your computing requirements are REALLY basic then you're much better off with something else, and even if you think that you only need the basics at the moment, you're very likely to quickly want to do something that the Ocean/All Fine 'netbook' is simply incapable of doing no matter how hard you try, and then you will have wasted £120+ on a primitive computer that few people will be interested in using. A presenter may be technically correct when they say there's no need to spend £800 on a laptop, but you will get a much better computer by spending just a little more money.

You won't get a virus if you use anti-virus software and you're also careful with what links you click on. Or buy a secondhand Apple Macbook :wink:

My local Cash Converters-style store seems to be a dumping ground for unwanted items like these from the Sit-up channels; on my last visit I saw an All Fine mini netbook and something else that's also sold on the channels.

I agree that notebooks are pretty much useless; unless you want to do the VERY very basics, then you'll need a better computer. You might as well get a £300 laptop which will be basic, but a million times better than a crappy netbook. Everybody I know who has bought a netbook has ended up selling it and then buying a basic laptop.

The problem I have with sit-up selling electrical items like this one, is that is often seems like its the blind selling to the blind. Half the time it seems the presenters don't really understand what they're selling/what information to give, and I would imagine a lot of people don't really know what they're buying.

A lot of the presenters come up with all generic stuff/basic errors; i.e. calling it a 'laptop', implying its as fast a mac, saying its like an Ipad, saying it can open 'Word' (its not - it's not even Microsoft related). I'm not sure whether the presenters know these errors, or they're just ignorant.

Either way, whenever sit-up are selling electrical tat you can guarantee the presenters are going to babble on and get most of it wrong.

I agree that notebooks are pretty much useless; unless you want to do the VERY very basics, then you'll need a better computer. You might as well get a £300 laptop which will be basic, but a million times better than a crappy netbook. Everybody I know who has bought a netbook has ended up selling it and then buying a basic laptop.

The problem I have with sit-up selling electrical items like this one, is that is often seems like its the blind selling to the blind. Half the time it seems the presenters don't really understand what they're selling/what information to give, and I would imagine a lot of people don't really know what they're buying.

A lot of the presenters come up with all generic stuff/basic errors; i.e. calling it a 'laptop', implying its as fast a mac, saying its like an Ipad, saying it can open 'Word' (its not - it's not even Microsoft related). I'm not sure whether the presenters know these errors, or they're just ignorant.

Either way, whenever sit-up are selling electrical tat you can guarantee the presenters are going to babble on and get most of it wrong.

Most 'netbooks' are more powerful than the Ocean/All Fine models that Sit-up have been selling and are fine for those who have basic needs; I even used one as my main computer for over a year and had no issues although they can be a little slow if you have more than three programs open at the same time and they usually can't cope well with high definition video playback or video editing.

But for those people who don't know much about computers and just want something for the basics (web browsing, email, document editing), a more powerful netbook is perfect for the job, and many of them do come with all the software you need already preinstalled just like the Ocean.

Of course the problem with these shopping TV channels is that they often sell to the technically illiterate that often don't have access to the internet or anyone/anything else that can give them the unbiased information they would need to make an informed decision, and it's fairly easy to argue that TV channels in particular should have a stronger moral obligation to be honest and truthful about the products that they sell because some viewers might still be under the impression that these channels are more tightly regulated than they actually are.

But we know that it doesn't work like that.

It isn't even Microsoft Word, it's Word Pad which I don't think was written by Microsoft either; a program which is very unlikely to be able to cope with anything but the simplest of Word documents, so that claim alone should be enough to get them into trouble with the Advertising Standards Authority. Certain presenters seem to pretend that they "can't make stuff up because we'd get into very serious trouble if we did"; it's more like what they can get away with saying...

And therein lies the problem - I reported them to the ASA for this exact same LIE they were spouting months ago but they refused to do anything about it. Its just a license to speak lie after lie after lie - Ive said it before and I'll say it again (and no doubt get flamed again -BRING IT ON) but this company should not be allowed to trade. They should bt shut down immediately and the few remaining decent people there go and work for a reputable company!

I notice they were selling it again last night and yet again Paul is calling it a laptop. Very misleading IMHO.

PJ.

I notice they were selling it again last night and yet again Paul is calling it a laptop. Very misleading IMHO.

PJ.

Its absolutely beyond me how they are allowed to LIE... its blatant 100% LYING!! People at bid should be sacked for allowing this!!

PJ.

I agree that it is wrong how they sell them, but I can't see them getting into trouble for calling it a laptop because, the definition of a netbook is;

'Netbooks are a category of small, lightweight, legacy-free, and inexpensive laptop computers'

But I totally agree about how they say how easy it is, and how fast it is.......just wait until you download things! lmao

The problem with the Ocean/All Fine netbooks isn't so much the hardware; it relates to the provided software, the way these computers are often sold on the Sit-up channels and the price that they're currently being sold at. If you're very technically competent you could install Linux on these computers and have something that's capable enough for a wide range of basic tasks, but given that the Ocean netbook is currently being sold at more than £100, viewers are being sold something that's markedly inferior than a laptop that costs only a few pounds more unless you're knowledgeable enough to heavily customise it and you really know what you're doing. (In which case you wouldn't spend more than £100 on something like the Ocean in the first place.)

Although £20 extra spent on something better is a lot of money to someone on a low income, my advice is to use a computer at your local library instead until you see something that's secondhand or have saved a little extra money.

Just seen Graham tweet this "Price drop comparing an Ocean Netbook with ones you see in the highstreet, in my opinion disgrace!" , Didn't see price drop but agree with you 100%.

Latest posts

Back