When is Limited Stock Limited Stock?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

steveh31

Registered Shopper
Having watched clothes auctions for a while I just don't get when things become Limited on screen just seen some trainers all sizes except 3 and 4 were limited but size 3 had 3 left :wonder: They just seem to make limited up when they feel like it it used to be i'm sure when there were 10 or less.

By law limited stock can only be used when an item has 10% or less stock remaining. However, this is bid so I'm sure they will make it up as they go along - I dont think the law comes into their minds!!

The main size/colour always appears at the top of the screen. Eg if it said;

size7
size3
size4
size5
size6
size8 size 7 would be the main one.

The main one usually has the most in the size, and 33% is limited. So if in size 7 (due to being the main size) they started with 100, it would be limited when they have 33 left. if like in size 4 they may only have 20, it would go limited when they have 6 remaining.

You may have noticed when they only have about 2 of a size, it will go straight to 'sold'

Last edited:
By law limited stock can only be used when an item has 10% or less stock remaining.

I don't mean to be a complete c**t, but what law is this? Can you quote it from somewhere? Did some searching, but couldn't come up with anything.

I thought it was pretty subjective compared to supply:demand.

Asa iirc, hth

Oh and they are always saying that on Ideal World (we cant say ltd stock unless...)

Last edited:
Asa iirc, hth

Oh and they are always saying that on Ideal World (we cant say ltd stock unless...)

Untrue. - Ideal world say that because that is THEIR limited stock. THEY can't say it is limited when they have 20% becuase their level is 10%, and people could coplain that they said it was limited when infact it wasn't. - That doesn't mean IW make the laws and everybody has to go by it. IW is 10% because with their POTD, they may have 10,000 of a product, and it goes limited at 1,000 left. If bid tv done the same, it would be pointless! - Many of bid's quantities of sizes/colours are under 10 to start with on multi variants, and if this was the case, you wouldn't see the 'limited' sign

Not entirely sure I understand your post but... So you are saying when IW say that by law they cannot say something is limited unless they have 10% or less stock remaining that they are lying?

Many of bid's quantities of sizes/colours are under 10 to start with on multi variants, and if this was the case, you wouldn't see the 'limited' sign

Well of course you wouldnt see the 'limited' sign because if they had less than 10 percent in the first place, chances are it wouldnt be viable to display limited stock (on a pre-sale stock of <10) (and not forgetting they dont have to display limited stock at all - its their choice) but I still maintain until proven otherwise that home shopping channels cannot chose to say something is limited stock until they have 10% or less remaining.

But, hey, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong!!

Last edited:
Well of course you wouldnt see the 'limited' sign because if they had less than 10 percent in the first place, chances are it wouldnt be viable to display limited stock (on a pre-sale stock of <10) (and not forgetting they dont have to display limited stock at all - its their choice) but I still maintain until proven otherwise that home shopping channels cannot chose to say something is limited stock until they have 10% or less remaining.

But, hey, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong!!

What proof do you have saying it is 10%? Just because Ideal World do? As I said, IW wouldn't have it at 1/3 as if they have 10,000 it would be better for them to show limited at 10% due to them selling in much bigger bulk. - (Even when IW is limited stock, it will still last for an hour or so....but bids last about 1 minute due to selling in lower quantities.)

Bid's is 33%. They sold some tops earlier. There were 35, and went limited when they had 12 left. They then later sold bedding with 60 in doube, and went limited with 20 left.

As bid only have between 2-30 of each size usually, showing limited at 10% would be pointless because it would go straight after. The viewers need warning.

Last edited:
As I have said twice, the only proof I have is that the presenters on IW keep stating that!

At the end of the day you have about as much genuine idea as I have...full stop, end of!!

So you are saying when IW say that by law they cannot say something is limited unless they have 10% or less stock remaining that they are lying?

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
As I have said twice, the only proof I have is that the presenters on IW keep stating that!

At the end of the day you have about as much genuine idea as I have...full stop, end of!!

I don't know why you are getting blunt with me. - I've also said TWICE that Ideal World isn't the law setters. IW say it becuase as I said TWICE, it is what THEY do. IW phone call charge is 20p p/m is it then illegal for bid to charge a flat rate of £1.50?

You said you were happy for me to prove you wrong, but saying '' I have...full stop, end of!!'' does seem quite rude.

I doubt 10% is the law....if bid had a quantity of 10 in one size, and it went limited at 1/3 left, and were only 3 left...wouldn't you call that limited? I certainly would.

You clearly haven't taken my points on board, and I'm not arguing anymore if you think you are right and when I come up with an idea I get '' I have...full stop, end of!!'' thrown at me!

Sorry yeah you are right, I did that post on Tapatalk (iPhone) and forgot to add a 'smilie' after the full stop end of to show tongue in cheek post (and I cannot edit it now)

What are your thoughts on this?

IW can't say it is limited at 20% as THEIR level is set at 10% in the same way bid can't say theirs is limited with 66% left when their 'limited' is set at 33%

It is against the law to state things which are untrue. - There is no set amount for 'limited' - it is how you take it.

IW can't say it is limited at 20% as THEIR level is set at 10% in the same way bid can't say theirs is limited with 66% left when their 'limited' is set at 33%

It is against the law to state things which are untrue. - There is no set amount for 'limited' - it is how you take it.

OK now I admit to being really confused - I said 10% regarding IW didnt I? Or have I typo'd? Or am I missing the point entirely?

OK now I admit to being really confused - I said 10% regarding IW didnt I? Or have I typo'd? Or am I missing the point entirely?

You said;

''So you are saying when IW say that by law they cannot say something is limited unless they have 10% or less stock remaining that they are lying?''

And I was saying that they can't say something is limited unless it is 10%. Not for the reason that limited stock is set at 10% EVERYWHERE. It is for the reason that they have set it THEMSELVES at 10%, so if they said it was limited with 20% left, they would be giving false information due to what they call 'limited'

OIC, ta! :) You have to make allowances for me 'cos at my age, the old grey matter aint what it used to be! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back