Marcasite settings?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

TopazTrish

Registered Shopper
Hi to all. Has anyone bought or know anything about Gems tv marcasite settings? I bought a marcasite & opal ring a few weeks ago and within an hour of wearing it two pieces of marcasite had dropped out! I returned ring and have been credited but have seen several other pieces I fancy but am very dubious. Seem to remember Lynn boasting not too long ago about them always claw setting their marcasite and not just sticking it in like other places do but no mention of that lately. Would love to buy marcasite watch but am doubtful of how long the gems would last without claws? Meeshoo or anyone on here, should I chance it or be expecting a bit more than glue fixed? Any help or comments appreciated, thanks.

I'm a dedicated marcaiste lover and have loads of it!

The best marcasite is claw-set, and that Gems TV used to sell claw-set marcasite in the 'old days', but not any longer. Having said that, most marcasite in the market is stuck in with glue, so Gems are not unusual in that. There is always a chance that some of the stones will fall out when they are stuck in with glue, although if they fall out within the hour that suggests that you have a duff piece, since this is unusual.

The range of gemstones that are available in the market set into marcasite is usually pretty limited, and it is great to see that Gems are now setting a much wider range of gems with marcasite, some of which are probably not available anywhere else in the world. So for that reason alone I think it's worth buying, if you like it. If stones do fall out over time, depending on whereabouts they are the piece will probably still be wearable, and the missing stones won't show too much.

Like miss magpie I have bought a lot of marcasite in the past from Rocks tv and it was claw set and I have only lost one stone in a ring and its still very wearable,I have necklaces,braclets and pendants and many rings and its all been ok
I have not bought any since it went back to gems so I'm not sure of the quality now so cant help much sorry but gems are very good at the c.s so I'd say try some more as you may have just been unlucky with that one piece.

Thank you Milly and Miss Magpie for your replies. Think I'll have another look and chance getting another piece or two when I see something I like, did see a kyanite & marcasite ring last week which was lovely but it was in a setting where it would be very obvious if you lost a stone. Still nothing ventured, nothing gained so will chance another order and let you know what happens. Thanks again for your help.

I would echo Miss Magpie and Milly. The best (and usually most expensive) pieces, will have claw set Marcasite but in all honesty, even antique pieces have glued stones in them. The problem is that you'll never know how long the glue will hold. I believe there's a 6 month (or maybe 12 month) guarantee with GemsTV so it's worth getting a piece if you like it. Hopefully if any pieces fall out, you'll find them and be able to have them glued back in.

Latest posts

Back