Not happy with BID TV.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Greg

Registered Shopper
Just now, there was an auction for 3 Bayliss & Harding gift sets. Not sure if the price was a mistake or not (presenter suggested it was) it was £4.99. So for the first time ever I rang in as the usual auction stock countdown was going down. I got through about 10 seconds before it ended but I got a phone answer message that all the stock was gone. :dull: And I got charged £1+ for it. :headbang:

Thanks Sit-up Network for conning me out of my money. I guess when someone on the studio floor makes a mistake you guys don't honour the deal and just stick the ansaphones on. :cash::cash::cash:

I have bought products from Ideal World, QVC and even Mike Saint's Discountshop TV channel. Last week I finally bought something from your network via your website. After this, I am never buying anything again from you guys.

:mysmilie_468:

Last edited:
I can tell you that it was a genuine mistake.

It was with Paul Becque, and it was at £21.99, then went to £17.99 and then the hooter came in, and went to £4.99!!

I've seen the B&H loads of time, and £4.99 is the LOWEST by FAR I have seen them!

You could tell it was a massive mistake, as the producer put a 1 minute clock on STRAIGHT away, and was already at 0:58 before it came on!

They were all gone by the time it was at 0:42, and as with all live tv, there is a bit of delay (can be quite a bit on some), so lets say you were watching Freeview, it may be 5 seconds ahead of Sky, and eventhough it still had a quantity in the box, it isn'y 100% real time.

If you want to see the clip I have it recorded.

If you live near a 'Saver's' (bit like Poundstretchers crossed with Superdrug) you can get these sets for much cheaper than that, without the postage on top of it.

Phew! But they still managed to diddle me a quid for their mistake.

I'm pretty sure I've seen them for £2.99 in my local chemist ~ you've had a lucky escape!

If you have seen them for £2.99, I can't see them being the sets they have.

I was in tesco, and they had a set of 2 for £5.00, and bid were selling 3 gift sets, with 3 items in each.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4384155/Trail/searchtext>BAYLIS+AND+HARDING.htm This was one set they had on there.... argos £13.99 for 1 set. Bid 3 sets for £11 inc P&P

I guess I was greedy ringing up for this 'amazing offer'. It served me right that I didn't get the goods I wanted and a £1.07 phone call premium charge slapped on my phone bill...

...or

Was the Sit-up channel in question being greedy and sneaky themselves by accidentely on purpose putting this amazing offer on knowing that millions of viewers watching would in their total greed, just like me, would ring in thus increasing the Sit-up Network coffers without them having to do or send anything :wonder:

Was the Sit-up channel in question being greedy and sneaky themselves by accidentely on purpose putting this amazing offer on knowing that millions of viewers watching would in their total greed, just like me, would ring in thus increasing the Sit-up Network coffers without them having to do or send anything :wonder:

I don't think you listened to my post....

There is a tipping point on the channels where everybody buys! If something usually goes for £25, at they took it to £20, they would fly out.

So for something which they usually sell for around £12.99, they would really only have to take it to £9.99, and they would all go anyway!

If it was at £21.99, then £17.99, it's quite obvious the next one would be £14.99, and that they accidently didn't inpout the '1'

Not being funny but, if as you say, they sold it at £5 as they make more money....don't you think they would do it more often to make more money? Don't you think they would do it to give viewers better deals? Why did they put a 1 minute clock on STRAIGHT after if they wanted them all to go? You missed out on a deal, deal with it! As they say, get in early, and avoid disappointment! :p

I don't think you listened to my post....

There is a tipping point on the channels where everybody buys! If something usually goes for £25, at they took it to £20, they would fly out.

So for something which they usually sell for around £12.99, they would really only have to take it to £9.99, and they would all go anyway!

If it was at £21.99, then £17.99, it's quite obvious the next one would be £14.99, and that they accidently didn't inpout the '1'

Not being funny but, if as you say, they sold it at £5 as they make more money....don't you think they would do it more often to make more money? Don't you think they would do it to give viewers better deals? Why did they put a 1 minute clock on STRAIGHT after if they wanted them all to go? You missed out on a deal, deal with it! As they say, get in early, and avoid disappointment! :p

I do get what you're saying, but I think you can forgive someone for thinking the whole thing was a bit of a ploy, as they more often than not try to have us believe that every price they drop to "must be a mistake" How many times have you heard this?....."Ooh, we'd didn't expect to go "this" low"...."This item has gone for much more than this in the past", "Stop the music, stop the music", "This must be a mistake, surely", "We're running short of time, so we need to move on very quickly"

I'd be a bit miffed if I paid for a premium phone call for nothing, but I make a point of never phoning them and always buying online.

Also forgot to add that I agree with some of the previous posters' comments regarding B&H toiletries, whilst I can't vouch for the quality as I've never tried them, they are a pretty "low end" brand, often seen near the checkouts of your local co-op round about Easter, Mother's day etc, presumably as a cheap gift that children can buy for their mum....Even if you had got the set for a fiver, you'd still have the p&p to pay, and you would've ended up with gifts that would make you look like a cheapskate...yep, lucky escape!

I find this whole thread a bit pointless.

I could understand where the OP was coming from if he'd:

A. Never seen a sit-up shopping channel before.
B. Had absolutely zero experience with how TV shopping works in this country.
C. Wasn't an avid poster of opinion in the Bid forum already; with posts such as:

I have never bought ANYTHING from this network of channels because a) most of the stuff is crap I don't want or need and b) I can find the same items or simlar items much cheaper on Ebay, Amazon or elsewhere on the net without the extortionate P&P

and

Sit-Up network are selling basically 'Poundland' shop stuff and crap that no-one else wants for extortionate prices

So it seems more like this post was created for a bit of attention more than anything else.

I find this whole thread a bit pointless.

I could understand where the OP was coming from if he'd:

A. Never seen a sit-up shopping channel before.
B. Had absolutely zero experience with how TV shopping works in this country.
C. Wasn't an avid poster of opinion in the Bid forum already; with posts such as:

and

So it seems more like this post was created for a bit of attention more than anything else.

Think your post is a bit un called for tbh. That's the whole thing about these channels...you eventually get sucked in. I remember the days I used to tune into the various channels 'cause I'd heard a lot about them, I almost used to sneer at the people who bought from them. To cut a long story short, I saw an item I thought was an incredible bargain, jumped to the phone and bought it....I was very pleased with my purchase and haven't stopped buying since.....and not all good stuff I can tell you! Things I wouldn't dream of buying in a shop, but somehow on screen it seems to become a "must have".

The B&H sets might have been a geniune mistake, but the OP is allowed to be sceptical, and right to feel miffed that he's spend money on nothing..even if it is just a quid or two.

They need to stop the 'white lies' in this respect because it is often difficult to work out whether a price is lower because of a human error, management intervention or if the presenter simply wishes to give the impression that the viewer is getting a cut-price deal or not. The obvious 'grey-area' of what the presenter is saying reminds me of those wheeler-dealer second hand car sellers or dodgy market stall sellers.

BTW. I was charged £1.27 for that call. No doubt 20% VAT added be added on top of that. Quite expensive for a ansaphone message lasting five seconds. What a bunch of shopping channel premium rate phone crooks. :cash::cash::cash:

Compare that to a small start-up shopping channel like DiscountshopTV who are doing free phone calls to their call centre then my cynicism towards the Sit Up Channel Network is justified.

Thank-you for your considered and balanced post merryone.

Last edited:
hi, i am new in this forum.
I can tell you that it was a genuine mistake.There is a tipping point on the channels where everybody buys. i don't understand.
tabber

Compare that to a small start-up shopping channel like DiscountshopTV who are doing free phone calls to their call centre then my cynicism towards the Sit Up Channel Network is justified.

Can you give it a rest? Discount shop are new....how else would they get buyers if they didn't do free phone calls? If they charged £1.50, no body would buy. I'm sure this will change in due course. IF you hated the bid channels as much as you make out, why do you even watch them/ contemplate buying? Stop whining about the phone call cost! They have it at £1.50, if you don't like it, dont dial! Simple. They didn't force you to ring!

They obviously have enough buyers, so why would they lower it?

I didn't realise DSTV had carriage on a cable network, or by sky. Until then, it's a website - not a channel, with zero to absolute minimum overhead (web hosting costs buttons, and streaming via Justin.TV/Livestream is completely free). If it does indeed have carriage, I'll eat my words.

Last edited:
If you live near a 'Saver's' (bit like Poundstretchers crossed with Superdrug) you can get these sets for much cheaper than that, without the postage on top of it.

Latest posts

Back