Silicone Bakeware

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ArtDeco

Registered Shopper
On occasion it feels like every other time I switch QVC on they're demonstrating an item of silicone bakeware, now I'm contemplating buying some I can only find about three items on their website that fit the bill :dull:! I'm looking for some kind of bun/cake scenario, just wondered if anyone has had any experience with them or any recommendations (including where else to buy them if there are better sources than QVC :giggle:) And do the plain flat silicone trays (like this one, minus the Easter bunnies: http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.831040.cm_scid.KeywordSearch) stay flat when they're being used?!

MTIA :handshake:

Last edited:
If you've a Boyes in your neck of the woods AD I would look in there - ours has quite a lot of the silicone stuff at the moment. Personally I'm not fond of it as it goes every which way and I would have to put the patty tins onto a baking sheet in the oven. The silicone tray would have metal edging so that stays rigid, but the other thing is they do tend to stain. Have I put you off?! Lots of folks think it's great so that's only my personal opinion of course!

I dont mind it, easier to clean although I do agree with BusyMum in that it does tend to stain. Asda have a few pieces, in particular round cake 'tins' and they sometimes do a deal of some kind on the silicon stuff.

If you have a Dunelm Mill near you, try there. I bought a muffin tray that doubles as a Yorkshire pudding tray too. Quite "affordable" too! Loads of other silicone items in there and mine has been great.

Mum and sister have both tried it and whilst they say it's just ok, they wouldn't bother again. Sticking with the old weathered stuff from granny!!! B&M on the prom have quite a lot and it's cheaper by a long way. Morrisons do too. Perhaps try Home Bargains or that pound shop in town when you're next there.

It is good but like other have said it really does stain. I had a lovely blue set which went brown/blue very quickly. Also, if you wash them in a dishwasher don't use lemon dishwasher tablets as my silicone bakeware look on a lemony taint so my oven chips had a "hint of lemon". No nice!!

Also with the baking trays with the metal edges, ours started to split at the sides. So don't put anything too heavy on them.

My daughter can taste them! She can even tell if I've cooked her food in a tin with other silicone stuff in the oven at the same time. She is very sensitive to taste and smells but since she started complaining about it I've started to notice it too, albeit very faint. Has anyone else noticed silicone bakeware tainting the food it's cooked in?

Jude xx

PS the ones I use are mainly from QVC

loathe it.bought some bits from qvc they fall apart,split,stain and i dont like the way they bake. the only thing i like doing to them is putting them in the bin!

I have mixed feelings about them, find them easy to store but a bit of problem to clean, they do stain and tho I scrub away at them it does not work! I have not used them for cakes, I bought some square ones from Dumelm and one from Aldi and I use them for savoury stuff like lasange and my famous cheese bacon and potato hotpot!! Would not pay QVC prices and I bet the p and p is sky high despite them being feather light

For me they are fine for roasting meats, I bought a real tough black one from amazon :tongue:...roast veggies...Yorkshire pudds are brilliant in them, just be careful they don't slide out when removing from oven and I put the ones from qvc on a metal baking tray for stability...but I do not use them for cakes, find the sides go crusty, not nice, so stick with the old fashioned lined tins.

daydreamer

Agree with the comments made here, I got a big set from Costco and they do stain, are floppy and still need greasing for some items. They are handy though. One of the best things in silicone I like is the sheets, great for lining metal trays, saves on foil.

I hate the flipping things. Those without the metal edging are really unstable, they stain and cakes baked in them develop a shiny unattractive crust. Will be sticking to the traditional metal items

Many thanks for all your feedback everyone :handshake:. It seems generally it's a bit hit and miss? :confused: I saw some in a local posh kitchen cookshop yesterday and liked the look of it but it was quite a price! Might utilise the 30day MBG on this one I think!

Thanks again :up:

Silver sequin, would love your famous hot pot recipe if you're willing to share?

---

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back