White gold?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

gemcherub

Registered Shopper
I thought after a very long time of not watching I would flick on to Gems tv and see where they are at theses days. What is it with the lack of white gold on gems tv? I was looking at colour change sapphire NO white gold, blue colour change garnet NO white gold, orissa alexandrite NO white gold, morganite NO white gold!
So I emailed to see if there was any in stock at all NO reply, so I think I'll just flick off again!

I totally agree. Everything seems to be yellow gold lately. I particularly like demantoid garnet but it's always set in yellow gold. Come on Gems, give us white gold buyers a chance!

I have been thinking the same thing for some time now & can't understand it. I know that there are people who only wear yellow gold, but surely white gold is so popular nowadays that it doesn't make any sense not to offer it more often. They are selling a lot of tanzanite lately & the quality of the AAA stones seems really good, but I have still to see a single Lorique tanzanite ring in white gold. Is it because white gold has to be rhodium plated & is therefore more expensive? Whatever the reason I don't wear yellow gold anymore, so that, & the standard of some of the presenters makes me wonder why I bother watching at all. Old loyalties can only last for so long!

I might have just dreamt this or made it up but isn't 18k white gold considered weaker? Maybe that could be a part of the reason?

PJ

PJ, I think you are right.
If it is poorer quality white gold or re cast 'old gold'. I say poorer quality white gold because the white gold is down to the alloys that are used to make the gold actually white. There is no such thing as white gold and can be less predictable than purer yellow gold. I am sure I read somewhere that is why more and more jewellers are using Palladium but it is more expensive. I also heard that white gold from America, Italy and India uses nickel to 'whiten' their gold because it inexpensive,bleaches the yellow gold easier and is a better colour match when mixed with 18k but less predictable when mixed to 9k, it can react more in casting, the colour match for 9k not as predicable. I also heard that an EU regulation using nickel in jewellry is being implemented because of nickels slightly carcinogenic worries.
Saying this , I love white gold and can by pass yellow gold especially the buttery 18k stuff.

I have a palladium ring that gets really bashed about and so far no hints of yellow coming through.
I suppose Platinium is the best and I am REALLY please to see a few pieces on Gems ( just saving up for a buy)
Maybe a 'gold expert' can confirm what I was told. I had a quick 'google' and seems I am on the right track?
Maybe Gems TV was having to much hassle with white, the casting, the quality(don't forget Gems Tv gold is hall marked in Birmingham , maybe their white wasn't testing so well to many other alloys within the gold? Maybe it is all down to money and GEMS thought they would sell the pieces in yellow anyway without the hassle?
I did have a white 9k ring from Gems that just blew up (due to all the air bubbles within the ring shank)

Another added bonus with using white gold - it'd make those shitey accent diamonds look a bit brighter!

Jinny x

Latest posts

Back